New Sako 85S and cant find rings or bases

Erik1972

FNG
Classified Approved
I hope I did not just screw myself. I just purchased a LNIB Sako 85S 22-250 and I need rings and bases for it. The only thing I can find are from Optics Trade and they are super $$$! When I purchased this rifle I assumed Leupold had a set but I just cant seem to find them in stock and all the local stores do not know what they are looking for. Unless I am not thinking correctly, the Leupold 51036 rings look like they are for this rifle but then the description says 'Rimfire'.

Anybody have an ideas or part numbers that can help me out. I heard the 'Optilocks' run high on the rifle so mediums are more like high rings. I need 30mm and prefer matte black if possible. Maybe I should of stuck with just an old trusty Rem 700!

Thanks, Erik

rcook10

WKR
Have you tried google? https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-Rings.aspx

OP
E

Erik1972

FNG
Classified Approved
I tried Google, yes! I was hoping for just some basic rings to mount to the scope. All of those rings in the link require a separate base and cost over $250 shipped. Decent Leupold rings should cost $80-100.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I tried Google, yes! I was hoping for just some basic rings to mount to the scope. All of those rings in the link require a separate base and cost over $250 shipped. Decent Leupold rings should cost $80-100.

Thanks.

It’s a proprietary base so you will need some type of adapter. I’ve used Talley bases and rings and the Sako Optiloks which both work fine.

That’s an excellent rifle and will serve you well.

They finally went to a more standard system on the new Sako 90s. They have Tikka dovetail and standard pic rails on the 90s now.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Some photos and weights of rings from one of my Sako 85s.

199p

Lil-Rokslider
Optilocks are epic man very solid ring set up. other the only other way is to run a rail. but i know many sako owners including myself that love the Optilocks design. I run a vx5 in them on my .223

One thing that's nice about the S85 dovetails is that the forward one is tapered front to back, so sliding the forward base forward moves your windage impact right, and sliding it backward moves it left. Lets you avoid big windage alignment corrections being done with your scope's internals.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
I have an extra set of optilock bases and a few different ring sizes I would sell. Let me know what you are looking for and I’ll see if i have it.

OP
E

Erik1972

FNG
Classified Approved
I have an extra set of optilock bases and a few different ring sizes I would sell. Let me know what you are looking for and I’ll see if i have it.

I am hoping to find 30mm medium in matte if possible

Kurts86

WKR

Thanks.

Nothing is cheap once you get into Sako’s. Have you looked at the cost of a spare mag?

They are great rifles but they are quirky, proprietary and nothing is inexpensive. As mentioned one of the big upgrades from the 85 to the 90 series is integral pic rails or using the Tikka dovetail.

rcook10

WKR

Thanks.

There are 30mm leupold matte black rings in stock at that midway link for 69$.

Sako optilok 85 1 piece ringmounts are 145$ at MGW.

Talley bases and rings in black are going to cost about 130$.

What are you asking for here?

Last edited:

They make a dovetail pic base that is very high quality. Tolerances are so tight it’s just a pressure fit that’s hammered on from the back of the action. Worth looking at I’ve owned one