new rifle build

Retterath

WKR
i decided im going to start ordering parts for my new build and this is what im planning on, so any input would be great.
Im looking at another 7wsm or 28 nosler or 300 norma. I want to use a 24" barrel cause i dont like the long barrels i know they give some more fps but trying to stay away from the 26". My components would be a Defiance Deviant hunter in a long action, Mcmillian edge stock with a jewel trigger and a proof research barrel carbon fiber. Im stuck on what caliber to do. This is only going to be a hunting gun not a range or target gun. Is it possible to get 2000 rounds out of these calibers i have listed about before barrel is shot and dont want to have to be chasing the lands the whole time im reloading.

bates

WKR
ill bet you see fire cracking and big throat movement on the 28 nosler at 500 rounds easy, even a 7wsm is going to be toast at 2k rounds,

I don't see any of them lasting 2k rounds for max accuracy

no way I would want to shoot those components in a 300norma, too light of a gun.

why not run a lighter barrel contour save the money over the proof? I would either run a lighter barrel, edge stock in say 280ai or 6.5-284 or

run a standard fill mcm with the proof in say 300win mag

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
it will have a break on it. I have talked to a few guys that have been trying out the proof carbon and they say that the consisitancy has been awesome even when the barrel has had quite a few rounds down the tube. Im trying to build a lighter weight hunting rifle in magnum cartridge. i really want to be getting velocity at 3000. if i ran a 28 nosler i would run 195 bergers and the 7wsm 168 bergers and the 300 norma 210 bergers. I did consider the 300 win mag or even a 338 norma

WKR
I'd go Mcmillan standard fill Classic stock, 7mm rem mag, Bartlein 2b contour, 8 twist, throated for the 195 bergers. You could still shoot the 168 Hybrids in it as well. I don't use brakes as I hate hunting with ear plugs. Nice thing about this build is it won't be a recoil monster.

GKPrice

Banned
I'll just go with a Tikka T3 superlight in 300 win mag and put the rest of the money in my 401K - barrel life will be excellent with stellar accuracy in a nice lightweight package that doesn't kick bad at all

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested to see what you decide as I have been itching to build a 26 or 28 Nosler ever since they announced them (28 even more so than the 26). Everything I read is people saying the Noslers are going to burn barrels quick. What I really want to read is someone with real world experience and high round count on these calibers. (My guess is they are probably right - physics is physics. For a range gun it just sounds like a waste).

But for a "hunting" rifle, 2,000 rounds sounds like an eternity to me. Shoot, 500 rounds will be 5-8 years of use for me and I'll probably be wanting to change or build something else by then anyway. And there is something to be said for a nearly dead hold out to 300 and maybe even 350 yards when things are happening quick.

Anyway now I'm subscribed so I hope you keep this thread updated with your build progress!

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
I am cooking up a 284 win on a long action Savage with barrel throated for the Barnes LRX in 145gr. I should be able to get 3000fps out of that with RL17. Savage's aren't easy to build super light but with an Edge stock and a light taper 24" barrel the gun should be lighter than my current .308 and have manageable recoil. Good barrel life as well...

That said, I am intrigued by the 28 Nosler, but the barrel life and recoil in a light gun leave something to be desired for me.

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
The gun smith I'm going to have do it said he is doing one also with similar components including the proof barrel. He has been talking to a few guys that have them and thought 2000 rounds before new barel. I would only be shooting 200 rounds a year at max so that would be a five year barrel so that don't sound so bad but would be nice to here first hand experience. A 195 Berger at 3100 would be a stellar hunting round. I'm still leaning towards the 300 Norma or back to another 300 run. Can't decide. Any one have had both a 300 Norma and 300 run?

IAHNTR

WKR
I have a 28 on the way. Actually it's been done and my smith took it to CO. Him and another guy used it and shot elk at 200 and 1150 with the 195s. He shot at 1025 to setup G7 before the hunt and had 2" vertical off a bipod. 28" brux shooting them at 3080 and it will speed up to a little over 3100 from the others he's built. Using rl33 and CCI 250s. I know this doesn't answer your questions, but offers a little real world data. Terminal performance was very adequate.

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
Post some pics when u get it sounds like a sweet gun. Do u know what the weight of it and did u have a break put on it? Looking forward to u getting it back and shooting it.

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 28 on the way. Actually it's been done and my smith took it to CO. Him and another guy used it and shot elk at 200 and 1150 with the 195s. He shot at 1025 to setup G7 before the hunt and had 2" vertical off a bipod. 28" brux shooting them at 3080 and it will speed up to a little over 3100 from the others he's built. Using rl33 and CCI 250s. I know this doesn't answer your questions, but offers a little real world data. Terminal performance was very adequate.
What action is it built on? Any more details on the build? Weight?

Would love to see pics.

IAHNTR

WKR
Here she is. This is how my smith had it setup for his elk trip. It has a Stiller Predator action with Wyatt's extended box. Jewell trigger, bedded in a Manners EH-1 stock, Brux 1:8.5" twist 28" Rem Varmint with 5 port Muscle Brake. With the Gen I and bipod it weighs 12.7 lbs.

View attachment 30228

Here's a group he shot at 1025 to true the G7 before his hunt. 2" vertical and 7 1/2" horizontal.
View attachment 30229 View attachment 30230

I just had a .280 AI put together on a Winchester Model 70 with a Shilen barrel and I love it. I think the .280 AI is a great caliber that you might want to consider. Best of luck.
David