New Range Finder

Kren

FNG
Hey Guys,
In the market for a new rangefinder, and hoping to get some opinions. I have a a 2 part question that i was hioping you could help with.

I am currently running a Sig 2200LRH, and i have to say i have not been impressed with this at all. In fact, i have been pretty disappointed on a few occasions with it's inability to range targets (trees, rock faces, etc) at about 1/3 the advertised distance. I also run a pair of 12x50 Tract binos, and i Iove these! I have done side x side comparissons with many other popular brands, and these always outshine the competion. I will say my brother has a pair of the top end swaro's and those are better, however he also paid $3,000 more, and i don't know that they are $3,000 better...

Anyway, if you were to replace your rangefinder would you go with a handheld range finder or a set of rangefinder binos? Obviously a handheld will be cheaper, but part of me likes the idea of only carrying one piece of equipment. I think i would go with Leica if i went this route. My reservation is the cost, and also i just bought the Tract Binos a little over a year ago, and i am happy with them... I know guys with both leica and swaro range finding binos, and they are all happy with them.

Second question is if you were to replace your range finder, and you want something that can consistently range MINIMUM 1,000 yds on game, what would you go with? Again i am leaning Leica, but also considering Leupold. What has your expirence been with these or others? Have you guys used one or another that you've been happy with? Any to avoid?

Money always matters to me...however i don't want to buy one and be in the same boat i am in now with the SIG, so i guess I'd rather buy the best product, rather than save $100 and be disappointed again.

Thanks, and sorry for rambling.

I’m a big believer in having binos and LRF as separate units. Binos come out much more and get bumped around much more. Unless you spend $5K-$20K for a Vectronix then you’re getting something that’ somewhat fragile as the beam can be knocked off from the reticle pretty easily. I’ve killed at least a half dozen LRF’s over the years and some of them didn’t take a very hard hit to knock the beam off.

As far as brand Leica is the next best thing to Vectronix as far as quality, beam divergence, and ruggedness.

Take a look at the sale that Kestrel is running currently. You buy a LRF and get a free kestrel. The elite with link and applied ballistics is a few bucks more but that combo with a compatible LRF like the Leica is a sick combo for putting rounds on target fast.

FWIW I would not buy another Sig LRF. 3 of them I killed were Sigs. One fell off a table in a padded case onto hard dirt and after that the laser was off by over 10’ at 400 yards.

OP
K

Kren

FNG
Thanks for the response, will certainly check out that black friday special!

And i agree 100% i wouldn't buy another SIG.

BjornF16

WKR
i have both setups:

Leica CRF 3500.com as well as Leica 8x32 Geovid Pro

I didn’t like carrying both binoculars and LRF and decided to kill both birds with one stone.

Ran the Geovid Pro’s this year and won’t go back.