New Mexico Unit 52

Jaker_cc

WKR
I spent some time in this unit a couple years ago on a deer hunt. I’ve never seen so many locals driving around with a rifle hanging out each window. Only the deer season was open and I saw 3 cow elk and 2 antelope in the beds of trucks. When I called the warden I was told they were 2 or 3 days out from being able to get to any of the calls in this area. I hunted hard and saw a doe on the drive out the last day. I saw a ton of elk but the locals in this unit “meat hunting” really soured me to the northern units in that area.

I second the fact that I wouldn’t leave anything inside the truck you weren’t willing to lose. A fella I camped next to had a generator, an ice chest, and a gas grill stolen. His window was smashed in also. He packed up day 2 of the season and left

Nick6275

FNG
Hello,

Not sure if this thread is still active, I was lucky enough to draw a late archery tag for this unit and had a couple questions. Is there a big concern about rattlesnakes or scorpions? We have hunted in northern CO and WY over the past 8 years ans run a floor less shelter. Is water an issue in the unit? I see a lot of drainages but doesn't always mean there is water.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
above ~7500-8000 ft you wont have to worry about snakes or scorpions. Would recommend a floor for the ants though. Water shouldn't be too much of an issue, lots of snow this year.

Also a floor for the dang mice. Them jokers can pack a water bottle away or setup shop in a plastic bin and eat all your dried meals. Water can be tough if you plan to camp high. If you camp low next to a drainage you'll probably be able to access water. Always water off 87 down at the split of 93.....of course that could be 12 miles from where you want to camp.

EvolvedX

FNG
Is there a lot of beetle kill up in the NW logging roads? All my scouting apps are showing just gray dead trees.

I'll be running around the woods of 52 during second archery this year. I've done small game hunting and a lot of fishing up there, but this'll be the first time in the unit with an elk tag.

I'm guessing the outfitters all go to the middle of the Cruces basin. I've seen the horse trailers parked at the entrances in previous Septembers.

It seems like there are a fair amount of camping areas on the east side and south side. There are some streams and a few small lakes in the unit. Depending on the monsoons this year, water may be scarce.

I've been in 52 off and on since 94. I haven't seen any outfitters camped around San Antonio in the last two years. A couple of individuals with pull behind in 2022 but none last year. San Antonio has elk, I'm sure you've read about it. Get up there early or camp up there is all I'll say about San Antonio. Crucis Basin is elk rich. Lot's of camps all around, but its a LARGE area. I wouldn't count out areas just outside of the rim.....east or west. 52 holds elk pretty much every where. From what I've experienced prior to Oct you'd want to be somewhere above 9000 in elevation. Beetle kill is in the unit. I wouldn't say it's sparse and I wouldn't say it's all over any particular area. Some of it is kind of new....that means it's got some nice green grass if monsoon was good....but it's also a very dangerous place to be sitting waiting on an elk to slither by. So yes....from the southern border to the CO line and from the Eastern boarder to the West hold elk. Again, if you search it up you'll find plenty and if you put it all together you'll realize that it's an elk rich unit that holds a good bit of elk and very rarely will you find a bull over 300". Call if you that's your style or spot and stalk will work too. Don't be picky and take home some meat. Good luck.