New Mexico Unit 12 - Any hunters with experience in this unit?

Scored a mid season elk tag in unit 12 nov 5-9. Looking for some advice or help from anybody familiar with the unit. I have reached out to people in my network and some people say its best to hire a guide. I guess the public land can be like a checker board according to them. I am from california and not familiar with new mexico. A buddy of mine would be tagging along for help, worth going it alone? Hiring a guide sounds like a good idea to me for the private land access as well as the experience they have. Any advice would be appreciated

Htm84

WKR
He’s probably still out hunting being today’s only the 8th.

Last edited:

Itsrybo

FNG
I don’t think it was all that easy. Obviously you gotta find the right areas. Terrain was pretty cake but my wife could shoot only around 200 and we had a chance each of the first two days around 500yds. Got it done yesterday at 250 with a 6x5 her first bull!!

Itsrybo

FNG
Honestly that’s great news I would love to learn more about transferring a tag. She also drew unit 23 mule deer while I have unit 24 mule deer in NM nov 12-16th. She doesn’t want to go on hers as of today (she got enough of it on her first hunt lol I was curious if I could transfer. How did you get it done? I would love to transfer to my 14yr old brother if possible!

Itsrybo

FNG
lol yeah, I just called them and tried to transfer. They said the only way to transfer a tag is Death, Military Deployment, or Life-threatening injury.

Oh well.

neilv

FNG
Scored a mid season elk tag in unit 12 nov 5-9. Looking for some advice or help from anybody familiar with the unit. I have reached out to people in my network and some people say its best to hire a guide. I guess the public land can be like a checker board according to them. I am from california and not familiar with new mexico. A buddy of mine would be tagging along for help, worth going it alone? Hiring a guide sounds like a good idea to me for the private land access as well as the experience they have. Any advice would be appreciated
How was your hunt? I am going this year in october.

neilv

FNG
We try to keep all unit discussions to PM only. Guessing you won’t have much luck getting anything from him though because most guys like this join to get help on a hunt then never come back…
Copy that - i read a lot of the forum posts but wasn't aware that discussions like that were better for direct massaging. Thanks for the heads up!
I'm newer to the rokslide forum as well , but i hope to be able to contribute as much or more then i take.

Copy that - i read a lot of the forum posts but wasn't aware that discussions like that were better for direct massaging. Thanks for the heads up!
I'm newer to the rokslide forum as well , but i hope to be able to contribute as much or more then i take.
Good to hear! It’s a great place.

Who’s giving the massage?

xINObpf7PiFtLZftIGFP32pun78NKSVrWXSdaZn-TSjEJO2XnUei8snIlz29sbUuIdk_gIJoeJCNBCW2J6i96htKY3HRGWqaNDPrKqiURs0lZZzmCSXWiqpzC3w9dF3a9YHmeqKhkOXijPOGFyWth5b-MetDl9g