New Mexico stud BH sheep / ROAL

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider

ld2507

FNG
That's an understatement 😳.... Considering he got that on a lottery draw. He isn't that old, so it's possible he could have drawn that on his first try, especially if he was in the outfitters draw pool, which I guarantee you he was. In NM Going through an outfitter as a non Resident increases the draw odds some to probably like 1-1.5 percent vs what "would" be far less than 1%. I'm gonna start applying through an outfitter like that in the future.

Another guy won a NM raffle tag and scored a massive ram too. Next time NM does a raffle I'm buying a bunch of tickets. They are only like 25.00 I think.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
With Wheeler, I think they are trying to manage too high of expectations/ hype. I had the early hunt few years back. There were 5-180+ rams, 1-190+, and numerous 10+year old lower scoring rams, that I saw or filmed on 1 area. Jason Mouttet does an amazing podcast with Epic hunt if I remember correctly. His numbers are astounding on that herd, so many nice rams he filmed & saw. And NM GFD does Alpine Surveys "2019 Alpine Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Surveys" really interesting read. Talked with the sheep biologist after my hunt. Only a couple rams were above 170 that year, less than half the tag holders. Between talking with some of the previous tag holders and my observation, there were nice rams dying every year due to old age on those mountains. Don't think the Biologist liked me telling him that. Know how much I cherished that tag, they could of added a few more tags in there (2-3) and have a couple more peoples dreams come true.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I took a really nice ram. One of the 180+ ones floating around. Governor tag holder was in the week before as I was scouting prior to my season opening. He took a 188" if I remember correctly. Have lots of photos of his ram on the hoof and in person when he harvested. Nobody harvested the 190"+ ram that year. Haven't seen or heard any harvest of that large ram, so I'm sure he is dead somewhere up there on the mountain. Once you get into sheep hunting it does turn into an obsession... I check all the time to see which rams are posted/ harvested.

ld2507

FNG
Yea I took a really nice ram. One of the 180+ ones floating around. Governor tag holder was in the week before as I was scouting prior to my season opening. He took a 188" if I remember correctly. Have lots of photos of his ram on the hoof and in person when he harvested. Nobody harvested the 190"+ ram that year. Haven't seen or heard any harvest of that large ram, so I'm sure he is dead somewhere up there on the mountain. Once you get into sheep hunting it does turn into an obsession... I check all the time to see which rams are posted/ harvested.
Oh wow... would love to see some pics of the one you got. Yeah, I think I remember seeing that 188 photo (post harvest) from the Governor tag in wild sheep magazine a Lil while back. Did you get that tag on a raffle ? or was it the normal state tag draw ??.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
PM sent. Was one of the super lucky random draw. Guys on the Slide were super helpful in getting up to speed on that hunt. Not saying it wouldn't of changed much, but the incite they provided helped boost confidence.