New Mexico Ibex

bradb

WKR
Well I am back from my Ibex hunt with a nice billy. It was an awesome hunt, lots of animals, and a very steep nasty mountain. Being NM I had to use used blackhorn 209 so not really smokeless. My gun is built on a rem 700 cf, brux barrel, Vortex 4-16 pst, Mcmillian stock. I was shooting 300 MH, with 160 grains of blackhorn(2445 fps). Actually has a shot at 109 yards and made a bad hit. As we were trying to find were the billy went in the cliffs some other hunters actually chased it and it ran on 3 legs straight up a sheer cliff and over the top and directly into another hunter that harvested it. So at least the animal was not left wounded long. I didn't believe it and shot the gun more and found out it was off a bit and re sighted in. making the story a little quicker, we found some billies the next day and made a move. As we got closer we knew there were a couple good billies in the group. We had no way to get real close and we manged to get set up very steady for a longer shot. As I settled in I knew I was rock solid and said here we go. I settled in for my proper hold and held the 350 yard line mid body for the 376 yard shot. At the shot the billy ran maybe 30 yards and tumbled a short distance down the rocks. The shot was perfect and the bullet made quick work of my billy. It did make a nice clean hole going in and actually not a real big exit hole as you can see in my picture link.
Thanks.
Brad
https://picasaweb.google.com/115516601528181241557/Ibex?authkey=Gv1sRgCILiwqu5ioS6tgE

shaun

WKR
Congrats man great billy! I am thinkin about puttin in this year for archery! Might have to talk a buddy or someone into puttin in

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
very cool muzz harvest. Can't say Ive ever heard of an Ibex with a smokepole? Is the hunt a required muzz hunt, or did you choose?

Either way, incredible shot. I see why they call it the White Sands.

shaun

WKR
Robby they have a rifle hunt Muzz hunt and 2 archery hunts. Rile odds are low to say the least muzz is decent of course archery is3-1 odds but sccess rates are around 3% with a stick and string

OP
bradb

bradb

WKR
I think the Muzz draw odds were 2.5% for this hunt. 60 tags, only 25 tags for it next year. They are doing an over the counter nanny immature hunt coming up soon to reduce the population. It will be a zoo on that mountain with the something like 900 tags sold. Its an awesome hunt. I had shot a fair bit at long range and the gun is a tack driver and pretty tricked out. As you probably know White Sands is in a different area then this hunt is

I wish i had known you were up there i live less than 5 miles from the mountain and i spend alot of time up there lookin at them. Could have at least bought you a beer.
Nice lookin Billy!
I have been putting in for this hunt for more years than i want to remember maybe ill draw it one of these days.
Steve

OP
bradb

bradb

WKR
I suppose you don't want to know I drew the first year.
Thanks
Brad