New Mexico gun ban

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Published now from Zia Rod and Pistol club newsletter:

Apparently, the grapes were sour anyways. After Attorney General Torrez refused yesterday to defend the governor's order in court, her office fired back that she "did not ask the attorney general to represent the state", as well as attacking his failure to combat crime during his tenure as DA and AG. This circular blame-game now occurring between the mayor of Albuquerque, its former DA, law enforcement leaders, and the governor looking for someone to assign blame for the crime ravaging our community is yet more time wasted by our elected leaders, all of whom bear a heavy burden of guilt on the issue.

Despite the Attorney General's refusal to defend her, the governor's order was the subject of motion hearings on temporary restraining orders in 5 of the lawsuits (NAGR, GOA, WTP, FPC, and Private Individual 1) today before Judge Urias, a Biden appointee. The various plaintiffs generally agreed that the sections requiring enjoinment were Sections 1 and 4 of the public health order, and section 4 of the executive order directing local governments and agencies to enforce the order.

An attorney appeared on behalf of the governor and made a number of fundamentally political arguments, up to and including the judge to relitigate Bruen. Astonishingly, she said the order was not a law, and could therefore stand, despite the Second Amendment. He eventually began pushing back on her arguments, and informed her that he could not relitigate Bruen on the governor's behalf. When he came back, he granted a temporary restraining order that returned New Mexico to the status quo on all carry, effective immediately. This means we can, for now, return to life as it was before last Friday, as far as the use of firearms.

The NMGOP announced its lawsuit yesterday, saying it would attack the underpinnings of the order in state court. Dozens rallied outside the party office, once again armed, with the state police absent from that event and an armed protest on Civic Plaza. The "gun free zone" signs usually found on Civic Plaza were, also, mysteriously absent yesterday. We have also heard that despite much sound and fury, the governor's office has yet to refer a single person to the state police for citation, and is now unable to do so.

What sucks is I have two hunts in the next five weeks in New Mexico. I usually am packing since my CCW from Oklahoma has always worked there. Guess I'm lucky I shouldn't be anywhere near Albuquerque. I just hope she doesn't try to expand this nonsense.

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider

ODB

WKR
I believe Governer Lujan is related to Cody Lujan who was on meateater. But hey she “supports” the second amendment and likes to “spend time outdoors” (enter pic of her and bird dog).

I believe Governer Lujan is related to Cody Lujan who was on meateater. But hey she “supports” the second amendment and likes to “spend time outdoors” (enter pic of her and bird dog).
Her name is Michelle Lujan Grisham. They don't have the same last name. Where are you getting this information from?

Yoder

WKR
Why would anyone care? If I lived there I would carry anyway. The Sheriff said they won't enforce it. I lived in Albuquerque for a couple years in the early 90's. It was a shit hole then. I wonder if the open border policy has made it worse.

I knew with the emergency powers that came from COVID that stuff like this was bound to happen. Fortunately sheriffs and the AG won't stand for it there. But you can bet other states will try it and have more success in the very near future.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If your [Constitutional] rights can be suspended by government because of an emergency, government will create an emergency to suspend your [Constitutional] rights...

That is exactly what happened. Covid was the testing and proving ground. This was another attempt that failed.

49ereric

WKR
Politicians need to be seen doing something about gun violence. I don’t blame them but ban’s don’t work and doubtful the ban is legal.
@19,000 kids killed or wounded per year.
more often than it is parents not keeping loaded guns away from kids.
my wife’s cousin was sleeping in bed with a granddaughter and her grandson found a loaded handgun and came in and shot his sister in the head. He was @6 years old.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Politicians need to be seen doing something about gun violence. I don’t blame them but ban’s don’t work and doubtful the ban is legal.
@19,000 kids killed or wounded per year.
more often than it is parents not keeping loaded guns away from kids.
my wife’s cousin was sleeping in bed with a granddaughter and her grandson found a loaded handgun and came in and shot his sister in the head. He was @6 years old.
Very sad indeed, sorry. I always say, there are no bad guns, but to many bad gun owners.

OP
BigE

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely a multifaceted conversation regarding gun safety at one end and gun control at the other. There isn't a simple answer by any means for all situations.

It is a really complicated and nuanced issue. Nobody wants to see kids and people getting hurt. Hard to say what the solution is. I don't think it's taking away a right that is engrained in our country's founding that are considered God given and non negotiable.

Stalker69

WKR
Well many gun crimes are committed by repeat offenders and gangs. But them knowing good and well they WILL NOT get the death penalty, and most likely a light sentencing, is no deturance at all. And many of them shooting up schools and our kids, give advanced warnings, but nothing is done about it, until it's to late. The death penalty needs be be reinstated ! And hard time served. Without it, it's not going to get any better. Our Society has become to soft.