New Mexico 2B question

Jeepers87

FNG
Hello all, I just returned from my scouting trip in 2B before they locked the gates off to get a better idea of where I’d like to go. I drew the nov rifle tag and had a few ideas I wanted to bounce off of some of you who may have been there before. I have my main areas picked, but was debating if I should bring my boat up and access the north end off the lake or if it would be better with my other plan to jeep in and do my hiking circuits I scouted. Lake is about 60ft low right now so I would have to launch from Navajo since CO is pulling their ramp next week for winter maintained. Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

On a side note if anyone is heading there soon but couldn’t scout PM me and I can give you a little bit of what I saw in the unit this weekend.

Cheers!

-JP

bohntr

WKR
I think having a boat to access those areas is a very good tactic......saves A LOT of hiking in and you can hunt til dark with a short walk to the shoreline.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think having a boat to access those areas is a very good tactic......saves A LOT of hiking in and you can hunt til dark with a short walk to the shoreline.

Listen to bohntr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cole97

FNG
Hello all, I just returned from my scouting trip in 2B before they locked the gates off to get a better idea of where I’d like to go. I drew the nov rifle tag and had a few ideas I wanted to bounce off of some of you who may have been there before. I have my main areas picked, but was debating if I should bring my boat up and access the north end off the lake or if it would be better with my other plan to jeep in and do my hiking circuits I scouted. Lake is about 60ft low right now so I would have to launch from Navajo since CO is pulling their ramp next week for winter maintained. Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

On a side note if anyone is heading there soon but couldn’t scout PM me and I can give you a little bit of what I saw in the unit this weekend.

Cheers!

-JP
I am new to this site but my daughter drew a tag in youth hunt and we will be heading up next week to scout for few days before hunt. We have a few places in mind. Not expecting your spots but any info is useful of course. We had different approach obviously due to earlier hunt and trying for resident deer and not a forker. If u wanted I could give update when we get back the following week. Forgive me if I posted this in wrong area. Didn’t know. Had to start somewhere. Thank you.

The boat would be a great plan. Like it was mentioned above saves some hiking, and taking a different approach to the area could be good. There will be other people hiking in from the gate.
Good Luck!

OP
J

Jeepers87

FNG
Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to watch the weather and as long as it isn’t going to blow me into Colorado or to the bottom of the reservoir to make some trout condos, I’m leaning on the idea to drag my tub up that way. Sounds like it would be a different way to go open some options.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Jeep, I’ll get in touch with you a bit later. I’ll be in 2b for the first rifle opener.

Side note, saw that Silverton, Co is expecting a good amount of snow this weekend. The forecast I saw was 10 plus inches. Not sure where the deer migrate from, but hoping that early snow helps.

bohntr

WKR
Most migrate out of Colorado into NM........when a lot of snow hits Southern CO it can also drive them off the Southern Ute Rez. Then it's glory days time!

OP
J

Jeepers87

FNG
Just wanted to follow up...punched my tag at a nice 3x4. Never saw that many deer before in my life. Had an absolute ball. Thanks for the PMs and feedback everyone!