New Mexico 2B question

W.Reid24

FNG
I got a 2B first rifle tag this year. After a lot of research everyone seems to say the same thing about how bad the roads can get. I'm wondering if it would be worth bringing my S×S the 1000 mile trip. I would be driving up in my F-250 Diesel that gets stuck everywhere that's not hard ground. I would be using the side-by-side to get around vs beating up my pickup. Park the SxS and walking into where I will be hunting that day. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Lytro

WKR
I would bring it. I got really close to getting stuck in there a few years ago during first rifle after rain and snow. Not sure I would've made it out with the trailer without a locking rear diff. Being able to park it in places you wouldn't be able to fit your truck is an added bonus.

The area is super accessible if there isn't any bad weather though. It's pretty difficult to really get away from roads with all the oil roads.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
The oil field trucks are all 3/4 or 1 tons with 35's for the most part and the ruts fit those trucks. If it was really muddy (like this year when I was there), a SXS would just be cold, muddy, and I don't think an advantage. I'd take a full size pickup with 33-35" mud tires or aggressive all terrains. Make sure they are 10 ply and you have good fitting tire chains, shovel, jack, etc.

If you don't have the above, a SXS with a land anchor and winch would work. Just be prepared to be wet, muddy and cold. The slime on the roads there is just icky.

Jeremy

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The oil field trucks are all 3/4 or 1 tons with 35's for the most part and the ruts fit those trucks. If it was really muddy (like this year when I was there), a SXS would just be cold, muddy, and I don't think an advantage. I'd take a full size pickup with 33-35" mud tires or aggressive all terrains. Make sure they are 10 ply and you have good fitting tire chains, shovel, jack, etc.

If you don't have the above, a SXS with a land anchor and winch would work. Just be prepared to be wet, muddy and cold. The slime on the roads there is just icky.

Jeremy
What Jeremy said. Those rds get 3/4 and one ton trucks up and down them all day but they stay on the two tracks. You might be on different trails.
DO NOT go without chains and if you take the SxS, get chains for it.
Good luck!

Seth

WKR
Good advice above. These were some of the nastiest roads I have been on. Chains are essential in the snot.

OP
W

W.Reid24

FNG

Jeremy
My pick up has 35” that are an aggressive all terrain. I was more concerned about getting a 3/4 ton truck stuck vs my lifted SxS with very aggressive tires that resemble more of an ag tire. My SxS does have a winch. I will be solo on this trip. Part of my thinking was if my pick up gets stuck I can still get around till I can get the truck out and not miss any hunting. If the Roads are bad and trucks out getting stuck that could eat up a whole morning or day.

Wapiti1

WKR
My pick up has 35” that are an aggressive all terrain. I was more concerned about getting a 3/4 ton truck stuck vs my lifted SxS with very aggressive tires that resemble more of an ag tire. My SxS does have a winch. I will be solo on this trip. Part of my thinking was if my pick up gets stuck I can still get around till I can get the truck out and not miss any hunting. If the Roads are bad and trucks out getting stuck that could eat up a whole morning or day.
What you'll see is hard frozen road in the morning until about 10-11am, then it just goes to hell. The top layer turns super snotty, and gets deeper and deeper as it thaws. It's not so much you'll dig in and high center, as the top layer is so slick you just slide all over. The ruts are your friend.

Access road are everywhere with all of the well heads. Any place you couldn't or didn't want to drive into was only a short hike to check out. That said, you may come back 10lbs of mud on your boots heavier.

In 2 weeks, I never saw a SXS or 4 wheeler. Not saying that wouldn't work, and alone it could be good insurance for sure. I hunted in a pickup and Toyota 4Runner, both with chains.

And find out which car washes are OK with muddy vehicles. You should pressure wash the undercarriage each day. That clay dries and can cause all sorts of unseen headaches.

Or, the weather could be bone dry and none of this matters. This last January was nasty.

Jeremy

Lytro

WKR
I've hunted 2B first rifle twice, and have been out shed hunting in the spring a couple times. The first year I hunted it was bone dry, and the next was rain/snow for 3 days. I used an ATV to drive in from the NF entrance after the roads turned to gumbo the year it got wet. The spots I hunted were 10-15 miles in. That would've been over 3 hours of drive time in my truck there and back, not considering getting stuck behind someone pulling a camper at <5mph. Was it a cold and muddy drive? Yes, but it gave me the ability to get from spot to spot much faster and I could pass every truck I came up on even when they didn't pull to the side. There's A LOT of road traffic out there during 1st rifle.

I wouldn't use an ATV/SXS out there if the roads are dry, but it can give you a lot of flexibility if they're not.

OP
W

W.Reid24

FNG
I've hunted 2B first rifle twice, and have been out shed hunting in the spring a couple times. The first year I hunted it was bone dry, and the next was rain/snow for 3 days. I used an ATV to drive in from the NF entrance after the roads turned to gumbo the year it got wet. The spots I hunted were 10-15 miles in. That would've been over 3 hours of drive time in my truck there and back, not considering getting stuck behind someone pulling a camper at <5mph. Was it a cold and muddy drive? Yes, but it gave me the ability to get from spot to spot much faster and I could pass every truck I came up on even when they didn't pull to the side. There's A LOT of road traffic out there during 1st rifle.

I wouldn't use an ATV/SXS out there if the roads are dry, but it can give you a lot of flexibility if they're not.
This is pretty much my line of thinking I don’t mind the cold and wet and muddy. I’ll put my rain gear on. It can be a tall order to get it done on a 5 day hunt when you stuck somewhere. Why wouldn’t you use a SxS when it’s dry ?

OP
W

W.Reid24

FNG
I understand that there is gate that are shut at some point is that just the lease roads or is it Forrest service roads too or some of both ?

Lytro

WKR
This is pretty much my line of thinking I don’t mind the cold and wet and muddy. I’ll put my rain gear on. It can be a tall order to get it done on a 5 day hunt when you stuck somewhere. Why wouldn’t you use a SxS when it’s dry ?
I usually don't use my SXS when hunting unless the road is really bad and it will save me some time. I don't really like using it when it's dry because everything gets so dusty and I can't secure anything I leave in it while out hunting.

Most of the locked gates you will encounter will be roads that lead down to individual oil wells. The main roads are very accessible and they wind throughout most of the unit. It's very difficult to walk anywhere in the unit without coming across roads that intersect your path.

I got a 2B first rifle tag this year. After a lot of research everyone seems to say the same thing about how bad the roads can get. I'm wondering if it would be worth bringing my S×S the 1000 mile trip. I would be driving up in my F-250 Diesel that gets stuck everywhere that's not hard ground. I would be using the side-by-side to get around vs beating up my pickup. Park the SxS and walking into where I will be hunting that day. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Hey,

I was wondering how your hunt went. I drew this tag this year for second rifle. Any unexpected surprises, or surprises for that matter haha.

OP
W

W.Reid24

FNG
Hey,

I was wondering how your hunt went. I drew this tag this year for second rifle. Any unexpected surprises, or surprises for that matter haha.
My hunt is for this comeing up season. I will try and give you an update when I get back. Good luck!

My hunt is for this comeing up season. I will try and give you an update when I get back. Good luck!
you as well, I have done a ton of research and talked to a few aquantences that hunt the area, ill be more than happy to share once I can send a PM. I also have a pretty good relationship with the LE and game wardens usually as I am in that field here in Illinois. They usually dont lead me astray....usually ; )

I don’t see a reason not to take the sxs. If you get a season with wet weather, you’ll want it. Every time I’ve hunted 2B, we’ve gotten a slashed tire also, but I haven’t been there in quite a long time. Worth it just for the wear on your truck. If you plan on camping, the sxs can get you closer to your hunt area than a truck can.
Slashed tire as in punctured?

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Slashed tire as in punctured?
Sorry, poorly worded. We hunted it twice, both times we ended up in the tire shop. Once I think it was just a puncture, but one time the sidewall was slashed by a rock. Maybe it was just bad luck, maybe it’s the roads. Just something to be aware of.

Sorry, poorly worded. We hunted it twice, both times we ended up in the tire shop. Once I think it was just a puncture, but one time the sidewall was slashed by a rock. Maybe it was just bad luck, maybe it’s the roads. Just something to be aware of.
Good to know thanks. In my experience in northern NM and some of its towns, no possibility is off the table

OP
W

W.Reid24

FNG
Sorry about taken so long to get back on here. This is my busy season ( A/C Guy ) and haven’t had time for much of anything.