New Mexico 16A Archery DIY or Outfitter?

Gila

WKR
There was a guide with A3 some years back that filled the governor’s tag....either 16A or 16D, I don’t remember which unit. The bull was over 400, I think 420, but not sure.

I went fully outfitted last year. Got skunked. If the guide doesn't live in the area, no way he's scouting before hand. No matter what he says. No guide is driving 3 hours each way to scout.

It's a side-by-side hunt. Rode around in a side-by-side most of the day. Hunted over water. Hiked in a few miles hear & there. Saw a 5x5 1st day, that's about it.

Do your research if you choose guided and like the above thread says make sure the guide you are given lives
in the area.

Gila

WKR
Some of the roads are just two dirt tracks through boulders. Inches can put you over a 1,000 ft cliff, so yea, a side by is the way to go. If you have DIY archery experience on elk in other western states, you could very well get the job done In 16A. Especially during the second season when the bulls are in the rut. Usually the day of the fall solstice, the bulls will go crazy if they haven’t up to that point. If you know where the herds hang out, you should find bugling bulls.

Scoot

WKR
DIY. You can't swing a dead cat in that unit without hitting an elk and it's easy to get around in. Unless you need a huge bull to feel good about the hunt (in which case, get a guide who will scout the crap outta the unit), do it DIY and have a blast. Spend your extra money you save on not paying a guide on buying more time for the hunt!!!

I have been on 3 unguided elk hunts in 16A as a NR both archery and rifle. IMO based on your statements and experience level you don’t need an outfitter for this hunt unless you want to increase your odds at a top end bull. Lots of elk and easy to get around in the unit.

Congratulations on the tag and good luck on your hunt!

Horniac
I have 16A tag this fall. How did you do on your 3 hunts?

frans, I and a buddy have 16A first season. I’m from KS he’s from MT. We were in 16A last week scouting and hanging cameras. Guides were there scouting and hanging cameras as well. If you are willing to walk you will find the honey holes.

The big issue is camping. We’re going down a week before season to scout a second time. So that’s potentially 3 weeks camping. We don’t want to tent it that long so we’re looking for a trailer. And someone with a second season tag that’s wanting to do the same thing we are. PM me and we can talk about the options.
How did your hunt go?? I’m from MT, headed down for rifle hunt this fall

I somehow beat the odds and drew a 2nd season archery elk tag in 16A as a non-resident. I know there are guys out there asking for GPS coordinates for a 360", but my question is more about the need or value to hire an outfitter. I’ve always been a DIY hunter and have never gone a guided elk hunt, but realize this is a pretty special tag and it may be worth biting the bullet to hire an outfitter (assuming the wife is on board). I’ve been bowhunting elk for 10 years with some decent success so I’m not a complete newbie to elk hunting.

I did NOT apply with an outfitter, so I’m part of the 6% allocation pool. As I understand it, 10% of the tags go to people who have already signed up with an outfitter, meaning there are already 15 tag holders signed up with an outfitter. If I do decide to go the outfitter route, will I be stuck with a lower tier outfitter at this point? I’m not sure how many guides there are running around in 16a, but I kind of feel like I’m behind the curve as far as booking a solid outfitter. Anyone have experience with this or some advice?
Have same tag this fall.. love to get some feedback!! 4064807184.

I somehow beat the odds and drew a 2nd season archery elk tag in 16A as a non-resident. I know there are guys out there asking for GPS coordinates for a 360", but my question is more about the need or value to hire an outfitter. I’ve always been a DIY hunter and have never gone a guided elk hunt, but realize this is a pretty special tag and it may be worth biting the bullet to hire an outfitter (assuming the wife is on board). I’ve been bowhunting elk for 10 years with some decent success so I’m not a complete newbie to elk hunting.

I did NOT apply with an outfitter, so I’m part of the 6% allocation pool. As I understand it, 10% of the tags go to people who have already signed up with an outfitter, meaning there are already 15 tag holders signed up with an outfitter. If I do decide to go the outfitter route, will I be stuck with a lower tier outfitter at this point? I’m not sure how many guides there are running around in 16a, but I kind of feel like I’m behind the curve as far as booking a solid outfitter. Anyone have experience with this or some advice?
Have same tag this fall.. love to get some feedback!! 4064807184

WRO

WKR
I went fully outfitted last year. Got skunked. If the guide doesn't live in the area, no way he's scouting before hand. No matter what he says. No guide is driving 3 hours each way to scout.

It's a side-by-side hunt. Rode around in a side-by-side most of the day. Hunted over water. Hiked in a few miles hear & there. Saw a 5x5 1st day, that's about it.
Sounds like you went with a3..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Mike76

FNG
There was a guide with A3 some years back that filled the governor’s tag....either 16A or 16D, I don’t remember which unit. The bull was over 400, I think 420, but not sure.
I know a guide in 16B that his client killed a bull 409 a couple years ago. Ralph Moline Abe and Son elk calls Honest Abe game calls. Never heard of the 420 bull In A.

Mike76

FNG
I believe the guide that killed the 409 Bull doesn't even come to these sites. He has now quit his operation due to bad knees and many surgeries as a timber faller before guiding.
I visited him a week or so ago picked up some call material and let me just say this.. This guy has pictures of his clients with Bulls that impressed the Heck out of me. From the 409 Bull killed in 16B and 2 bulls that were pictured in the 370's. He went on and had I 5 Bulls ranging from 340 and up to 360. And of course, smaller bulls.
Great Guy just a little on the quiet side. He loved 16 B out of all the units. Said the wolves were getting bad.
That unit was the best as he indicated most hunters can't get to where the Bulls are unless your on horseback.
But I always read that guys on here never report back. There are many whom use these sites for there first time and have no idea where to look or how.
This season I don't know how many first-time visits there were and first timers that drew tags. I'm one to give info as long as its PM. As we all know as hard as it is to draw any of these tags a little help can go a long ways.

BBob

WKR
:ROFLMAO:

10 years ago a verified 422” bull was poached outside of reserve. Take it for what you will.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Why are you posting a 10 year old article?
Because there was mention of 400” elk in New Mexico and that one came from smack dab in the middle of the country being discussed. I posted proving the existence of 400” elk in the Gila. Anything else you want to know???