New Member & looking for opportunities through advice

Hey all, I am new to this forum and unclear to how questions like these are handled/ addressed etc. I am 40 yrs old and have been hunting for 35years overall for mostly deer, fur bearers/trapping, small game etc. I have transitioned out of the military from active duty and had the opportunity to hunt with a friend in Sawtooths of Idaho for bear and elk and it has re-ignited the spark of hunting all over again for these species and sent has me researching and putting in the work to close knowledge gaps.

I am looking for other veterans and folks to hunt with out in Idaho and Montana area for these species to learn from and allow me the opportunity to not hit the mountain alone.... although willing, just prefer not to. If willing, I would like to setup video calls and get to know folks and if it feels like a good match then make a hunt happen.

Throwing myself out there randomly here but you never know until you ask.
Be well,
Doug

I don’t hunt Montana or Idaho, but applaud your first post. I hope this works out for you, but if it doesn’t, I encourage you to continue to participate in the forum - both giving and receiving advice. If you do, it’s my experience that you will make those connections.

I’ve personally hunted with two roksliders that I met here, and consider both life-long friends…even though my wife continually gives me shit by calling them my “internet friends”🤣

OP
Mechanical_Mercenary
I appreciate the response for sure as this is not my normal reclusive self that lives in the woods of Indiana Overall, targeting Idaho as I am classified as a disabled veteran and get to take advantage of the states amazing tag discounts and Montana as it holds big bears from what I have researched. Don't have to many folks in Indiana that can relate to hunts like these and are willing to put in the work to be successful/ enjoy being on the mountain if you are not successful. So thought I would try to branch out/ step out of my comfort zone, as my wife has recommended, and make myself available to be mentored and continue to look for like minded folks that would be open sharing the memories of hunt in Washington, New Mexico, Arizona, and of course a dream of going to hunt in Alaska although not sure where to even begin to plan a hunt around that....I guess it all comes down to if/when I get fortunate enough to draw tags.

I am conducting research on going on hunts any where it makes sense at the time of year and a just didn't want to go at it alone if there were folks that were willing to teach, help me grow as an outdoorsman in new challenges, and of course share in the enjoyment of the hunt, being outdoors, and if the moment is right... enjoyment of filling a tag and knowing that the work was put in to work for it.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member, Doug.

Eddie

P.S. I was on the fence if your post was an intro post, but since I'm the Chairman, I made an executive decision to make it such and offically welcome you to RS. :D(y)

OP
Mechanical_Mercenary
Yes, new to the forum and unclear if there are formalities such as posting an intro and thank you sir, it is much appreciated.