New kryptek down puffy, aquillo

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I guess you can't tell over the computer when I'm being funny/giving you crap.....

Yes, off topic, but trying to lighten the mood.

Master P is excited to get yours, by the way.
Not at all man you work for Kifaru. Wouldn't expect you to go elsewhere. Little off topic don't ya think??

Mike

OP
pyroducksx3
Not saying it's not but the OP compared it to the Kuiu which is right around 7 oz isn't it? So this is right in between the Kuiu and the FL as far as weight goes.

Mike

The kuiu is 10oz but all their weights are for medium I think. I wear an XL in kuiu and kryptek.

OP
pyroducksx3
I'm not counting out the fl puffy. I can get a hell of a deal on their gear so that will play a big factor in which way I go. The kuiu worked well this year but it got below 30 on my high hunt and left me wishing for just a bit more warmth.

Last edited:
I have not used the kryptek. That kryptek jacket looks nice.

I have used the FIrst lite thou, and it is warm and pretty light.

Whisky

WKR
Any updates field reports on Aquillo? How are guys liking them?
Intended use would be an underlayer mostly. Or outter when not actively hunting.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Also wondering if there are any initial reports on the Aquilo? Wondering how it compares to the FL Puffy.

See Aron's statement here

Won't take to much searching to see that I highly recommend the FL puffy, so yes, I've used it a lot.

The FL jacket compared to the Kryptek or Kuiu is oranges and apples. The FL is a hybrid puffy and in a different field then the others.

nothing scientific but the aquillo feels warmer than my uncomp. puffy. does not seem as durable. its lighter. i much prefer the zipper, hood and pockets of the aquillo to the FL.

edit:for clarity

Last edited:

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
The Kuiu has less down inside of the jacket, so its less weight.

The Kuiu has a higher loft down which provides more warmth at a lower weight penalty. I however do not know the difference between an 800 fill and 850 fill and where the weight of down VS the fill rate of down balances out at.

Brado16

WKR
nothing scientific but the aquillo feels warmer than my uncomp. puffy. does not seem as durable. its lighter. i much prefer the zipper, hood and pockets to the FL.

Glad to finally hear from someone who has tried both the FL Uncomp. and the Aquillo, thank you. Im looking for a warm puffy- I had a Kuiu Spindrift and was not impressed- does the extra warmth of the Aquillo give an edge over the FL in your opinion or is the warmth between the two close enough you would pick the FL since you think is has the better zipper, hood and pockets?

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
My Aquillo arrived last week. These are my personal reviews & takeaways so far, given zero field experience with this jacket.

The basics: I'm 5'11" 34" waist, 210lb and pretty athletic. I bought a Large Aquillo and it fits broad shoulders well. The Cerdic mentioned below is an XL and is loose but not baggy.

I hope this helps...

1. Very evenly lofted - the stitching is in predicable rows and spaces to keep loft in place.
2. All seams are sewn flat and are executed evenly - almost beautifully without being weird.
3. All zippers (except inside breast pocket) are sealed. With the lightness of the jacket, opening the zipper (down stroke) is easy. Closing the zipper (upstroke) can cause the jacket to ride up and/or catch on neighboring fabric unless its held in place by an opposing hand.
4. Hood edges are micro fleece lined and the internal drawstring works great. I like the loop and bead pull.
5. The exterior nylon has a very slight sheen to it - I'm hoping that diminishes with wear.
6. The cuffs are non adjustable but are satin and soft. My hands are XL but my jacket is a L, they still slide easily on and off of the cuff. The will stay toward your wrist on the front side of a watch or under gloves easily.
7. Sizing is spot on for a jacket that you'll probably layer underneath. Buy the size you are and there will be a bit of room for proper layering.
8. Absolutely perfect to layer under a Koldo jacket. Reminds me that Kryptek is truly a system approach.
9. Ridiculously light - Within reason, I don't count my ounces on something that could make or break my hunt in terms of layering warmth.
10. I've got the Cerdic hoodie which fits tighter over my standard merino base layer (Minus33). In turn the Cerdic hoodie makes the perfect layering item under this jacket. Both hoods nest pretty well and if a layer needs to be stripped off, you've still got a hoodie over your beanie and your still in camo...pretty solid IMO.
11. With proper layering (Base +1 or 2) there is no reason that this jacket wont provide comfortable warmth below what you'd expect. Add a shell and the temps could get stupid low and you'll be more worried about your cheeks, toes and fingers than your body.

I've got no knowledge of how fast this will dry when wet or how much moisture it will repel, but I'd never expect a down jacket to take the place of a waterproof shell when the climate dictates. That said, it will probably hold its own until you can get your shell out of your pack.

Nobody paid me to write this stuff - Its just a system that fits my body better than others so I went this direction. All just my .02

Cheers

, i should have been more clear. i prefer the hood, zippers and pockets on the aquillo.

im not sure if we have different jackets, but my aquillo has no sealed zippers...

it is heavier than advertised. waiting to hear from kryptek on that end so i dont want to comment too much there...

i would second ordering your regular size. its a good fit. im 6' 175 and the large is good for me.

Whisky

WKR
What is the weight of your L? And compared to a L FL?

My XL FL is 20oz I think. Would be nice to get something lighter and packs smaller for certain situations.

PintsOfCraft

Lil-Rokslider
, i should have been more clear. i prefer the hood, zippers and pockets on the aquillo.

im not sure if we have different jackets, but my aquillo has no sealed zippers...

it is heavier than advertised. waiting to hear from kryptek on that end so i dont want to comment too much there...

i would second ordering your regular size. its a good fit. im 6' 175 and the large is good for me.

Zippers on the side hand pockets seem to have a rubbery seal, not typical cloth zippers on my jacket. Interesting!