NEW! Kowa TSN-55A

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Competition at the top of the tiny spotter market got heated with Kowa’s announcement today!

I am just finishing up my review on the newest mini-super-spotter…

e536ea5117df48a8ef7282e32ba1df35.jpg

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to your review! The 55a/55s appears fully featured despite being compact. Interested to understand its capabilities and limitations.

6.5x284

WKR
Ordering two for a big eye set! I've heard from multiple testers they did a phenomenal job with this little 55!

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Excited for this comparison. I love my kowa 774, but the 55s is very appealing

I am comparing it to the Swarovski ATC.
I’m very much looking forward to the feedback, I want a small spotter just for photos, and the ATC was the obvious choice, but I love kowa glass and if this one compares performance wise, that will complicate my decision.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
i thought this was a pretty helpful comparison

I appreciate the work he went through to make this video, but there are real problems with this comparison.

Particularly the contrast evaluation and misunderstanding of exit pupil vs. field of view.

Also evaluating edge performance at a close distance will magnify the effects of field curvature, due to the shallow depth of field. This is not usually the case for hunters as they very rarely use a spotting scope at this close a distance.

Interesting he confirms the peril of digiscoping comparisons, as he mentions the digiscoped video shows resolution differences he doesnt see with his eyes.

Still, it is a well-made video showing different digiscoping results.

That video was great. If anything, it left me more impressed with the Vortex than I thought I'd be. I also still really want to try a compact spotter in the field but my brain keeps telling me to just suck it up and pack the big girl around.

sndmn11

WKR
@robby denning @realunlucky

I think one or both of you told me at WHCE, "The Swaro ATC/STC is my most used optic" if I heard that right, folks should REALLY pay attention to this review.

If I heard that right, can you sum up in a sentence why that is? (and then again, folks should pay attention to that answer and this review)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning @realunlucky

I think one or both of you told me at WHCE, "The Swaro ATC/STC is my most used optic" if I heard that right, folks should REALLY pay attention to this review.

If I heard that right, can you sum up in a sentence why that is? (and then again, folks should pay attention to that answer and this review)
Because it’s light, compact, so it never gets left behind. I’m only giving up a little bit of light Transmission and FOV. view compared to their 65-85mm spotters.

4th_point

WKR
Because it’s light, compact, so it never gets left behind. I’m only giving up a little bit of light Transmission and FOV. view compared to their 65-85mm spotters.
I take it that the ATC/STC replaced your ED50 too? Or do you still have a place for the Nikon?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I take it that the ATC/STC replaced your ED50 too? Or do you still have a place for the Nikon?
Nope. Retired the Nikon last year. It was still lighter but the performance of the little Swaro’s justified the weight. Need
to get the Nikon sold

tdhanses

WKR
Matt, why not include the original Kowa 55? Be nice to see if the improvements are that substancial to upgrade, to me fov is the biggest issue but I’m thinking the eyepiece upgrade will add some improvement all around but how much?