NEW Kifaru Duplex Timberline Series

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
Cmeier,

I believe the 7200 cubic inches for the Guide bag includes the Longhunter lid. The Guide bag is smaller than the T1. I measure the T1 to be about 42" tall with the snow collar extended and the Guide to be about 34". When I get a chance I will weigh my Longhunter frame with carbon stays. I will have to remove the carbon stays from my T1 and put them into the duplex frame.

I mentioned this in another thread but you could put the KU waist belt and shoulder straps on the Duplex frame and reduce the weight by about 1/2 lb.

cmeier117

WKR
Cmeier,

I believe the 7200 cubic inches for the Guide bag includes the Longhunter lid. The Guide bag is smaller than the T1. I measure the T1 to be about 42" tall with the snow collar extended and the Guide to be about 34". When I get a chance I will weigh my Longhunter frame with carbon stays. I will have to remove the carbon stays from my T1 and put them into the duplex frame.

I mentioned this in another thread but you could put the KU waist belt and shoulder straps on the Duplex frame and reduce the weight by about 1/2 lb.

Isn't the T1 bag skinnier though? What is the big diff between the KU waistbelt and Shoulder straps?

bowinhand

WKR
Is the DT a new pack or just the Duplex frame with a new bag? Did Patric redesign the duplex with carbon fiber and 500D Cordura?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Duplex frame is the same, but you can add the composite stays to it.

So yes, it's the duplex frame with a new bag.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
The timberline bag is a little skinnier but I still think the 7200 for the guide includes the Longhunter lid. The guide bag is not that much wider to cover the T1's external pockets.

From what I can tell the KU shoulder straps and belt have the same foam padding as the Longhunter shoulder straps and belt. The main difference is that the KU version appear to be covered with lighter material and use 3/4 webbing and buckles instead of 1 inch. I ran the 3/4 inch webbing through the 1 inch buckles on the LH frame and they seem to hold as well as the 1 inch webbing. The KU belt buckle is the same size as the LH buckle but is a different model that feels lighter. Also the KU belt does not have power pull though there are some simple ways to add it. http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=27285&page=2

One thing to note is that the KU belt as delivered for the KU pack will not fit on the duplex frame without some modification. If you look at the belt on your T2 you should see that between the two padded portions are two layers of 500D Cordura that form a pocket. This pocket fits over the bottom of the duplex frame. Stay pockets are sewn to the back of one of the Cordura layers. The KU belt has the same setup except that the two layers of Cordura are sewn together instead of left open. Also the stay pockets are sewn through both layers of material instead of just one. It shouldn't be hard to rip out some stitching to from a pocket for the duplex frame but the stay pockets would have to be re-sewn. I would think Kifaru could easily produce a KU belt configured just like the T1/LH belt.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you guys would like to see any other types of videos on the Kifaru gear, let me know and I will get them going.

I know it's hard to buy something without seeing it first and the videos seem to help.

REDMTN

FNG
Those are G2 frames, but getting those bags on a G1 frame shouldn't be an issue.

Hey Aron, I thought the G2 frames were introduced in 2009? so all previous 2009 Longhunters were referred to as G1s? anyway
I always refer to my older Longhunter as a G1 but maybe that's incorrect.

Last edited:
OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I ran over to Kifaru and weighed a bunch of stuff today.

Duplex Frame with aluminum stays---4lbs 5 oz's

Duplex with composite stays---3lbs 12oz's

T3 bag---2lbs

T2 bag---2lbs 9oz's

T1 bag---2lbs 14oz's

Standard Lid---3.75 oz's

Longhunter Lid---13.5 oz's

Hunting XTL Lid---15oz's

I also checked with Patrick on pricing

Duplex Frame---$336

Frame and Bag Combo

T1---$671

T2---$629

T3---$605

Bag Only

T1---$335

T2---$291

T3---$269

These are the prices with Standard lids and aluminum stays. The composite stays will cost an additional $40.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right on Aron. Gonna pick up a DT1 packbag to go on my Longhunter Frame. Frome the numbers looks like I'll be right at 7 pounds even by the time I add waistbelt pockets and a top lid and to a couple custom trimming jobs I did to my Timberline pack as well. :D