New Hunter, Looking for Scope recommendations below $500

WesM

FNG
Hi all, I'm new to the hunting and pretty new to firearms too. Been shooting air rifles for a bit, but I want to start learning to hunt larger game, starting with whitetail. I picked up a tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor and am looking for a decent scope. Budget is $500 or less.

What do you guys think of these scopes for hunting whitetail out to say 300 yards max? I would also like to try some longer range target stuff as well, since I have access to a private 1k yard range. The Trijicon seems to get good reviews but does not have adjustable parallax, how important is that for hunting and longer range shooting? Any other scopes you recommend I check out?

Meopta Optika5 2-10x42 PA
Trijicon Huron 3-9x40
Bushnell elite 4500 4x, 4-16x

I have a Burris RT6 that I like a lot, figured I would check out their fullfield lineup, since they get good reviews. But after looking at a fullfield E1 I was not at all impressed with its quality, so its going back.

Have you read these threads? I think if you want to really get to dialing long distance you may want to up your budget. That Trijicon would be great for deer hunting out to 300 yards. The SWFA 3-9x is well liked for about $600 but you will have to wait a while to find one or back order and wait a long time most likely. The 3-15x SWFA is usually available for about $700.

OP
W

WesM

FNG
Have you read these threads? I think if you want to really get to dialing long distance you may want to up your budget. That Trijicon would be great for deer hunting out to 300 yards. The SWFA 3-9x is well liked for about $600 but you will have to wait a while to find one or back order and wait a long time most likely. The 3-15x SWFA is usually available for about $700.

Yes I have read those! really enjoyed the read too. I even tried out a fullfield based on Forms review to see if I liked it, but I was very disappointed with the quality of the newer model (E1).

I was looking at the Optika5, obviously a different model then the 6, but hoping that it was made with similar quality. I also found a Optika 6 new/open box in my budget and am considering that. Form seemed to like the 6 and it definitely lasted more rounds and way more abuse then my Tikka will ever see.

yeah I may have to give up my long range ambitions for now and just get something like the Huron for hunting, if I cannot find something of good enough quality in my budget.

I'm thinking about ordered a Huron and Optika5 to see how I like them and just returning if I don't.

JGRaider

WKR
That Optika should be great for shots out to 300 as you specified. Good luck, and have some fun with that CTR. Mine is the 20" version, suppressed, and it's a great shooter/killer.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
For 300 yards and less I'd be happy with the Trijicon. I've been using a Huron 2.5-10x40 and I like it. If you watch ebay you can find them for about $450.

BLJ

WKR
Not a really popular choice on here, but I’ve had very good service from Athlon. Specifically the Midas Tac and Argos lines.

OP
W

WesM

FNG
That Optika should be great for shots out to 300 as you specified. Good luck, and have some fun with that CTR. Mine is the 20" version, suppressed, and it's a great shooter/killer.

I was not initially planning on getting into this until next years hunting season, but I found a new stainless, 20", Tikka CTR in 6.5cm for $985 with plus a $75 rebate. $910 seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

There is an Optika5 3-15x44 that I assume would be better for longer range stuff, but its out of stock everywhere I looked. I guess I could just order one and wait for a while. I have a cheap Bushnell banner I could use for this season while I wait if I decided to go that route.

For 300 yards and less I'd be happy with the Trijicon. I've been using a Huron 2.5-10x40 and I like it. If you watch ebay you can find them for about $450.

There are several places selling the Huron 3-9x for $350, which is part of the reason I'm considering it. Seems like a really good deal.

Between the Trijicon and the Optika5, is there a significant difference in quality (build/optical quality/reticle etc) that would justify going with the more stripped down Huron? Price wise they are about the same currently.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For your stated 300 yards max you don't need a variable scope at all. I've used the SWFA 6x42 SS MIL-QUAD scope to kill big game past 600 yards and as close as 30 yards in dark woods. This includes two small bodied coues deer bucks at 480 and 530 yards in nasty camouflaged terrain.

Not sure what inventory on these looks like right now, but they pop up in the classifieds here quite often.

This is an excellent, reliable scope that would be perfect and under budget. I'd be patient and try to find one if you have time/can.

Cameraland has an optika6 2.5-15 demo model for $450 right now. I have one on my 308 and love it so far, though I haven't used it a whole lot yet.

OP
W

WesM

FNG
For your stated 300 yards max you don't need a variable scope at all. I've used the SWFA 6x42 SS MIL-QUAD scope to kill big game past 600 yards and as close as 30 yards in dark woods. This includes two small bodied coues deer bucks at 480 and 530 yards in nasty camouflaged terrain.

Not sure what inventory on these looks like right now, but they pop up in the classifieds here quite often.

This is an excellent, reliable scope that would be perfect and under budget. I'd be patient and try to find one if you have time/can.

I thought about the SWFA fixed magnifications copes, but the lowest they have in stock is 10x. I had kinda assumed (maybe incorrectly?) that at higher magnification the field of view became too narrow for hunting.

SWFA does have the 2.5-10x ultra light, but it seems pretty similar to the Huron in features (no PA). I do only intend to hunt under 300 yards, but I also want to learn some longer range target shooting with this setup. Emphasis is on the hunting qualities of the scope though, target shooting is a secondary interest. The SWFA 3-15x is out of my budget, otherwise it would definitely be a contender.

I am open to used though, so long as the brand has a transferable warranty. I will have to do a little more looking there.

Also I did see the cameraland demo optika6. Its an option, but everything I was reading was people thought it was too big/heavy for a hunting setup. Definitely willing to be persuaded otherwise though by more experienced folks.

LTGentry

FNG
You don’t need high end glass to get within a pie dish at 300 if whitetail is the target, that’s for sure. I like Leupold, $500 could get you into a Mark 3 or a higher end VX-Freedom. Never had a problem and their CS has always been good to me when I’ve needed them.

OP
W

WesM

FNG

Yeah I am looking at the Credo. The one you linked can be found on sale at a couple places for $500, so its definitely in play. Is there any difference between the credo and Huron besides light reticle? I have read in several places they use the same specs for each scope, its just the reticle they change, no idea if this is true or not.

I friend of a friend of mine has a Huron 3-9x, so I'm going to try and see if I can check it out before I buy.

In addition to hunting, I do want to try some mid range target shooting. Say 600-800 yards. What kind of magnification would you guys suggest for those ranges?

BLJ

WKR
Yeah I am looking at the Credo. The one you linked can be found on sale at a couple places for $500, so its definitely in play. Is there any difference between the credo and Huron besides light reticle? I have read in several places they use the same specs for each scope, its just the reticle they change, no idea if this is true or not.

I friend of a friend of mine has a Huron 3-9x, so I'm going to try and see if I can check it out before I buy.

In addition to hunting, I do want to try some mid range target shooting. Say 600-800 yards. What kind of magnification would you guys suggest for those ranges?
I’d be interested on your thoughts about the eye relief on the Huron.

OP
W

WesM

FNG
Changing the subject slightly, but related topic. Whats peoples opinions on these rings?

Talley Modern Sport

Sportsmatch T054C

Warne Maxima horizontal split rings