New hunter intimated to call elk.

Jaquomo

WKR
As a guide, I have a bugle tube but use it 1% of the time, bugling is my last resort, or only at night to locate. Otherwise it’s cow calls only or ambush hunting. To many people in many units walk around blowing bugles like a tuba in the back of the band. My experience even though I’m in an OTC unit, guys bugle, bulls go
Silent gather cows and walk out.

Social media and influencers have ruined the dream of bugling bulls in the rut. Unit 66 may be different as it’s a draw tag and I know guys in that area that call several bulls a day. I will say in a less pressured area even bad bugles can bring elk, but I prefer techniques like rubbing, stomping, soft cow calls, over bugling. The RMEF bugle competition isn’t IMO how elk actually sound. It’s a competition to make the “perfect” bugle but like I said sometimes my worst bugle has brought in the biggest bulls. Elk all have different bugles, and honestly if you are going to bugle learn what every bugle means! There’s 15 sounds bulls make that all mean something different and throwing a challenge bugle out at the wrong time can ruin the hunt. If you don’t know what the bugles mean in each situation ur basically arguing with someone in a different language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CO OTC units are different animals. Totally different from when I started hunting them in 1974. Spot on with the bull behavior. I only send out an occasional benign locator bugle, then shut up when I get an answer.

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Is this an otc unit? I’m a new hunter as well and my buddy said he went to an archery unit with a friend a few years ago and all they really called in were other hunters lol