New hunter...decided not to buy camo patterns.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Camo? What am I...a savage.

I only wear certified cruelty free, heirloom organic solid garments...woven from the finest locally sourced, free range, nonbinary alpacas.

I would look simply ridiculous picking up my rainforest pygmie-harvested, fair trade coffee in camo.

JRMiller

WKR
Why is that? Plenty of pigs and a really nice blacktail population in Northern California. Elk and Antelope not so much but deer and pigs we have plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Theres plenty, yes, but theres also 39 million people in california to compete with.
Hunted the A's, B's, Cs, for 20 years or so, plus bought points to hit the X's one day. None of its worth the trouble. I dont know about current stats, but 5 years or so when i stopped hunting cali the average zones were at best %12 success rate. The X's were, wait for it, a whopping %22.
It would take a lifetime to ever even get close to get a tag for the X's, and for %22 success, no thanks.
Theres not a square inch in cali that a person or hunter has not touched, i've backpacked cali for 22 years, i know.
I just dont see the point when there are some spectacular hunting states bordering us, or just a state over.
I bag an an animal (or more) every year i hunt now. Of course none of them in cali

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Theres plenty, yes, but theres also 39 million people in california to compete with.
Hunted the A's, B's, Cs, for 20 years or so, plus bought points to hit the X's one day. None of its worth the trouble. I dont know about current stats, but 5 years or so when i stopped hunting cali the average zones were at best %12 success rate. The X's were, wait for it, a whopping %22.
It would take a lifetime to ever even get close to get a tag for the X's, and for %22 success, no thanks.
Theres not a square inch in cali that a person or hunter has not touched, i've backpacked cali for 22 years, i know.
I just dont see the point when there are some spectacular hunting states bordering us, or just a state over.
I bag an an animal (or more) every year i hunt now. Of course none of them in cali

Gotta make due with what you have available, and some of us don't get a ton of time off or several days off in a row. It's better than nothing, and I'm leaving CA in 1-2 years. just waiting for the market to dump and housing prices to take a hit in the states I'm considering moving to, and in the meantime still going to continue to live as cheap as I can in CA and continue saving money. I think all the market hype now is just that and once things settle and the dust clears from the pandemic I think we're in for a rude awakening as far as the economy is concerned.

Last edited:

JRMiller

WKR
Gotta make due with what you have available, and some of us don't get a ton of time off or several days off in a row. It's better than nothing, and I'm leaving CA in 1-2 years. just waiting for the market to dump and housing prices to take a hit in the states I'm considering moving to, and in the meantime still going to continue to live as cheap as I can in CA and continue saving money. I think all the market hype now is just that and once things settle and the dust clears from the pandemic I think we're in for a rude awakening as far as the economy is concerned.
I hear ya brother. Your plan sounds pretty much identical to mine

prm

WKR
I’m a fan of earth tone solids. Not too dark, and definitely not too light. I typically have Prana Zion pants (grey or brown) and an Arc’teryx atom jacket, either a brown or olive drab, as my outer layer. My pack is Ranger green.

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
Honestly, I’ve started wearing earth tones even turkey hunting. I didn’t wear camouflage pants one single day of this past spring gobbler season. There’s quite a few gobblers that didn’t mind at all. I really wish some of the whitetail specific stuff from Sitka was in solids. That’s really the only camo I have to wear. There’s not much else out there that’s quiet but also has windstopper and insulation. Anything else is solids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I use a little bit of everything.

My pants/ bibs are all solid, but *most* of my tops have some pattern whether its camo or plaid. I do still have some lighter tan or olive drab tops that are solid though.

jlbethea

FNG
Have you moved already? Come to MS man, big deer and lowest cost of living in the US! Also just a short drive to all the big southern cities (Houston, Dallas, Birmingham, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Memphis, the beach, etc.). TN is another great option with more hills available.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I’m moving away from camo for everything expect for turkey and ducks.

I try to avoid grays too. I have heard that some gray dyes are made in part with blue ink.

Maki35

WKR
I use to wear solid colors for hunting. But I've been wearing a mixture of a camo top and solid pants lately.
And now that my State requires hunters to wear blaze orange during rifle season, wearing camo isn't going to matter.

rclouse79

WKR
I wear camo for turkey and archery hunting because it gives me a little more confidence. Most of the time I wear brown pants when I rifle hunt, and half the time might throw a camo top on.

UpTop

WKR
You'll never kill anything unless you match head to toe, as well as all of your gear, in the same camo pattern 😁

The one true benefit to camo I have personally experienced is duck hunting. Those suckers can pick out your damn trigger finger if outside your glove!

Other than that, mostly feel good for the hunter.
I don’t necessarily agree here. I’ve hunted waterfowl for 22 years. Honestly if you hold still you can get away with some pretty serious off colors.

Drenalin

WKR.
Have you moved already? Come to MS man, big deer and lowest cost of living in the US! Also just a short drive to all the big southern cities (Houston, Dallas, Birmingham, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Memphis, the beach, etc.). TN is another great option with more hills available.
TN is a terrible option. The hunting sucks, and we're all really horrible people.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
Since camo is no more expensive, I often opt for camo. However, I think it is all highly overrated and earth tone colors would be fine. Watched a youtube video of a guy in bright red pants, bright yellow shirt and bright orange head band call in and shoot a bull elk at 40 yards. I really don't think it matters............

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Since camo is no more expensive, I often opt for camo. However, I think it is all highly overrated and earth tone colors would be fine. Watched a youtube video of a guy in bright red pants, bright yellow shirt and bright orange head band call in and shoot a bull elk at 40 yards. I really don't think it matters............
I dont know. Camo can be more expensive, but it isn't much. For example, some of the pieces I have from some companies are $5-10 more just because they're camo as opposed to the same piece in brown or grey.

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
I wear camo for turkey and coyotes but for anything else I don’t worry about it. My focus is getting the gear I need for the best price, my clothing is of many different brands, and a mix of random camo patterns and solids. No fashion police in the woods just on social media.

My father and his generation killed all kinds of deer and bear wearing red plaid...

Pa. Tuxedo.....