New home build

Very good recommendations thus far. Big basement, big garage, lots of closets.
I’m a huge fan of separate vanities in a large master bathroom. It’s nice to keep the wife on her side for her prepping

Rich M

WKR
Put in a basement and put all the utilities down there. Donno if it’s a midwestern thing, but the amount of houses I’ve owned/lived at in CA, WA, ID, and RI, only one had a basement. Every house I lived in the Midwest had one. It’s like free space…dig the damn hole.

Typically depends on depth to groundwater. I agree basement is a must-have if you can.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Toilet in the garage, no stairs or steps if terrain allows anywhere. Hot water faucet outside for dog/kid wash, drive through garage, outdoor flood lights around perimeter with switches in bedrooms.
Pre wire for cameras, inside speakers, patio speakers, patio heaters, patio fans (if you have a covered patio)
If you have young kids build the house to have “their side” because you won’t needed that side much in the future.
Pre plan and route all outdoor lighting, gas for fire pit of fire place, electrical for outdoor kitchen if a possibility. Soffit plugs tied to a switch for lighting/xmas lights.
Preplan/Plump for a backup electrical generate by your power meter.

If you think your closets are to big make them a hair bigger.

Use any dead space or hidden space for a gun room/ storage if space allows.

I built a house three years ago and did almost all of the above with no regrets and very minimal things I would change.
I like every thing you did when you built your house. Lots of great ideas. Only thing I would add is a basement. I lived in southern Wisconsin and the basement was always cool in the hot humid summers.

WKR
Wood burning fireplace with insert. LED lights on any staircases and under kitchen cabinets. More canned lights then you think you need. Get any water lines done for barns or outbuildings done before any driveways etc go in. Same for electric.

wnelson14

WKR
I like every thing you did when you built your house. Lots of great ideas. Only thing I would add is a basement. I lived in southern Wisconsin and the basement was always cool in the hot humid summers.
Thanks, I worked for a GC for a few years worked on a lot of awesome homes and while also worked on some head scratchers and awful ideas. I would have love a basement but they aren’t to common where we live in CA and I wanted a slab foundation.

I’m not sure why I keep seeing that a basement is cheap sqft. My dad always said this too. Its very expensive sqft where I’m at and have built my entire career.

Because you have to pour footings, frost walls, and a concrete floor anyways. So the difference is that it's either at ground level or 9' in the ground - the only difference is 5 more feet of wall concrete and a floor system, which was about $10k.

ben h

WKR
I’m not sure why I keep seeing that a basement is cheap sqft. My dad always said this too. Its very expensive sqft where I’m at and have built my entire career.
Basements can be pretty cheap additional square fottage if it's just a matter of digging the hole a little deeper and taller foundations and everything else stays the same. When you start adding things you may encounter at a particular site that "easy money" can quickly evaporate with rock, groundwater, surface water mitigation, temporary shoring, sewage pumps, import/export fill, etc. Topography, lot size, final building size/cost are all things that come into play.

Jon Boy

WKR
Because you have to pour footings, frost walls, and a concrete floor anyways. So the difference is that it's either at ground level or 9' in the ground - the only difference is 5 more feet of wall concrete and a floor system, which was about $10k.
Where I’m at we don’t pour the floors in crawlspaces, never seen that. Concrete is $200 a yard and having some one pour and finish a slab is $3/ft. You’re over doubling the amount of forms and concrete to get a decent height. I don’t know, that’s just me and where I’m at.

Where I’m at we don’t pour the floors in crawlspaces, never seen that. Concrete is $200 a yard and having some one pour and finish a slab is $3/ft. You’re over doubling the amount of forms and concrete to get a decent height. I don’t know, that’s just me and where I’m at.

I could see the cost savings between a crawl space and a basement - since, like you stated, you aren't pouring a concrete floor. The example I was referring to is the cost between a basement and a slab.

I'd be curious to see the actual numbers between building a 1500 square foot house with a full basement and a 3000 sq ft house on a crawl space.

The hole doesn't dig or shore itself.

For it to be real usable, it needs finished out, electric, etc. Also not free things.

The hole doesn't dig or shore itself.

For it to be real usable, it needs finished out, electric, etc. Also not free things.

Right, but I'd say the difference in excavating cost between a crawl space and a basement is pretty minimal.

And true that framing, drywall, electrical, etc are not free, but they arent free above ground either. The question is whether or not its cheaper to gain the space below the house or double the size of the house above ground?

Also, you can move your mechanicals into the basement, as well as a lot of unfinished storage space.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wood burning fireplace with insert. LED lights on any staircases and under kitchen cabinets. More canned lights then you think you need. Get any water lines done for barns or outbuildings done before any driveways etc go in. Same for electric.
Been doing commercial insurance for 30 years, it is getting harder and harder to insurance property period an the wood burning stoves are getting harder and harder to insurance. I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely impossible to get coverage in 10 years from any carrier. That and most or a lot municipalities are starting to outlaw them also. KInda sucks IMO love a good wood stove.

Last edited:

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fire Sprinklers, driveway melt system/boiler, in floor radiant heat, big pantry, curb less shower, steam shower, 4 car garage, heating in garage, spray foam insulation, GUN SAFE!!!!!!, Gas Fire pit (Cheap if done when building and my favorite feature by a mile), plugs and cat 6 in the top of closets for a place t hide wifi routers, heat tape for snow melt on roof, tankless water heater, HRV to bring in fresh air, wood ceiling (Cheaper than you would think and a nice feature), Make sure the drywaller is really really good, brings laser level and big levels. Fittes flush wall vents, 9 ft basement ceilings.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Regardless of what you decide to do, take photos of every wall in every room after the wiring and plumbing is in but before insulation. They will be very useful in years to come.
This for sure, even hire a company to come do the whole house. Saved our asses so many times.

Right, but I'd say the difference in excavating cost between a crawl space and a basement is pretty minimal.

And true that framing, drywall, electrical, etc are not free, but they arent free above ground either. The question is whether or not its cheaper to gain the space below the house or double the size of the house above ground?

Also, you can move your mechanicals into the basement, as well as a lot of unfinished storage space.
The excavation cost difference is very significant.

The difference between a mini excavator and an excavator.

A hole deep enough to be a basement will need benching and shoring.

Dump trucks to haul off dirt.

More complicated and expensive forms, requiring more concrete labor.

Make sure the drywaller is really really good, brings laser level and big levels. Fittes flush wall vents, 9 ft basement ceilings.
Nah, you can use the cheapest drywall guys.

If you don't mind paying your trim guys and painter WAY more than you would have paid a good drywall guy to just do it right in the first place.