New guy starting up.

RyanT26

WKR
I am wanting to start to reloading. Only plan on reloading for .243 and .308. What would you guys recommend for a single stage press for starting out.
What other basics/needed pieces would guys recommend?

Rich M

WKR
Shop the all in one kits and see what you like. The dies seem to count more than the press.

Rock-o

WKR
When I started reloading a few short years ago I opted to buy individual items rather than a kit. I have what I believe is probably a pretty common setup in terms of press and powder - a Forster Co-ax and an RCBS Chargemaster 1500. Dies are Forster, Redding, and RCBS. A Lee universal decapping die. I prime on the press which works for my low volume. Probably not too appealing to most though. Satern caliber-specific funnels. Vibratory and ultrasonic cleaners as well as a tumbler with stainless steel pins. I made my own case lube with the common rubbing alcohol and lanolin recipe on the Internet. Digital caliper. Forster trimmer. I'm sure I'm leaving a few items off but that's most of it. Not a fancy setup.

JRMiller

WKR
I have not seen a decent kit. They all have one or two good items and then the rest are not great.
I would buy individual.
IMO with reloading, the cartridge components ( case, bullet, powder, etrc.)are the most important part, followed by the scale, then the dies, then the press
i have found that presses are presses and the main difference between them is size and ergonomics.
My main recommendation when looking for a press is find one with some sort of good primer catch system.
Some of the poorer designs either dump spent primers all over, or drop the old primer dust on the ram, or both.
Primer dust will wear out a ram with use, and its also full of powdered lead, you dont want to be breathing that if you can help it.
The better presses have a hollow (larger diameter) ram and the spent primers drop down through the ram center and into a collection tube or bottle
Look for a design like that and you really cant go wrong
There are a lot of good digital scales now a days so no need to get a beam scale.
If you load in volume for plinking loads you might want a powder dispenser.
Dont skimp on cheap dies, go for the premium, you wont regret it. You'll end up buying them anyways, trust me.

What are your goals for reloading? Just plinking 50-300 yards or shooting 1000+ yards consistently at a 1/2 MOA? How many rounds a week or a month? Can spend around $300 or go over $3000 easily

OP
RyanT26

RyanT26

WKR
My goal is to be able to produce practice and hunting ammunition that I can use from zero out to 500 yards.

I honestly don’t think I’ll be able to improve much on my .308. it shoots 168 grain ELD M Incredibly well.
Currently I’m only shooting 20rounds a month through each gun. I am not a competitive shooter.
Another reason I want to get into this is, I want to learn something new and honestly I think it’ll help reduce my stress level. Or I’m going to totally obsess over it and then end up stressing out about trying to figure out the best load

CO-AJ

WKR
I was in your boat about a year ago. I bought the Forster Co-AX and love it. RCBS chargemaster. I hand deprime with a Harvey deprimer and wet tumble brass in a frankford arsenal. I use redding full length dies. Currently practicing with .308, but I aim (no pun intended) to start reloading my 6mm Creedmoor for 1000. What was told to me is use a single stage first so you can learn and understand each step of the process. Once you are proficient at that then you can move to a turret or progressive. One day I will get a Dillon.

Keep an eye out for rebates from the manufacturers. I got a pretty good deal on my RCBS stuff because of a rebate.

I also chose to buy pieces individually instead of a kit.

+1 on the co-ax

I use a redding body die and a lee collet die for my SA reloading (308, creedmoors, etc). I handprime because I didn't like the feedback from the press.

If you really want to get fancy get an AMP annealer to make your brass last forever (especially on the 308).

No offense to the chargmaster guys but becareful with those. They over/under throw and aren't as accurate as you think. I use a jewlers scale to double check throws when I had one of those. Fancy people use the autotrickler. RCBS came out with an updated chargemaster that is accurate but its pricy @ 800$.

16Bore

WKR
RCBS Kit for starters.

Just be prepared to spend a pile of cash and time. It’s a new hobby, not a way to save money.

wyosam

WKR
You’ll spend more, but you’ll shoot a lot more. I think it is a great stress reliever. You can make accurate handloads on any modern equipment. I like the Lee turret. Great value, and very versatile. I’m able to make very accurate rifle ammo, and can crank out higher volume for pistol. I use mostly lee dies, though I’ve got some RCBS as well. I like a beam scale- RCBS 505. Rest of my setup is from various suppliers. I’d skip the kits. I started with one, and abandoned most of it pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweetyzfd

FNG
Buy once cry once. I’ve been through many single stage presses. Found the Forster coax. Love it. Buy the best you can afford