New guy from SW PA

Mudd Foot

WKR
Hey all,

Great site here! Stumbled across it in my search for a new pack. The articles, videos, and threads were/are extremely helpful, as living in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains doesn't afford the opportunity to pack out 200+ pounds of meat on any sort of basis. Been a UL, and dedicated hammock advocate for a while, which is in stark contrast to my "longbow only" style of hunting. Unfortunately for the wife none of my current packs will work for a DIY high country elk hunt.

It should come as no surprise that Kifaru received an order yesterday! Took the plunge on a High Camp 4800, Bikini frame, and the detachable Meat shelf. Multicam on the bag, and plain black on the Bikini. (The pack can handle hauling the climber to the woods; at least that's how I'm justifying the gear upgrade to the wife...) Am excited to say the least!

Went with this set-up in an effort to rehab a double cervical decompression and fusion of C5-6 an C6-7 once I'm released to carry loads and lose the neck brace. A softball collision a month before we were scheduled to travel West, ended my hopes to fill my 2013 CO Elk tag in Unit 55. God willing, 2014 will be different!

Again, great site, and I look forward to learning from everyone,

Mudd Foot

Buster

WKR
You won't be disappointed with the bikini, it's served me well from 25-80+ pounds, versatile and comfortable. I've got a "grab it" and lash kit with it, and just run my old 85L pack with it. Your shoulders will thank you for the investment.

ST52v

WKR
Welcome to the forum!! I live just below New Castle. You should be close?

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Thanks for the well wishes and the reach-out guys. Exactly why I joined this forum of the multitude out there in cyberspace.

Buster, thanks for the feedback on the Bikini. Seems to me that it was the next step in the UL heavy load hauling. Comments like yours are what sold me on this relatively new offering, as the Duplex is the yardstick in the industry. The weight savings equates to my entire back country sleep system.

ST52v, yes South Hills of PGH. Compared to the distance we drive out West for our hunts, we're practically neighbors. Any other Roksliders in our neck of the woods?

Mudd Foot

switchback270

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum! You will learn a lot from the guys here. I know I sure have.

I'm from Washington, PA.

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Switchback270, we ARE neighbors. We're in USC. Sounds like we need to have a Rokslide-East sub-forum given the number of PA members!

Mudd Foot and Switchback,

I am in Annapolis, MD. With you two, and Mattfish on the other thread, there seem to be a number of us in the mid-atlantic region. Maybe we should set up a "mountain" hunting weekend here in the Appalachians to just hang out and chase some whitetails/blackbears/turkeys. If nothing else we can talk gear and stuff around the campfire one weekend.

Larry

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Sounds good to me Larry. My camping is curtailed until after the Oct 20th which is my follow-up from the surgery. Perhaps we could plan for some time after that?

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Hot Rod, saw that you and ST52v are from Oil City. How's the Grouse population this year?

ST52v

WKR
Mudd Foot, I can't say for certain since I have not been out walking around much! If we move around in rifle season or muzzy we always putt some out! There are some usual spots that always hold ruffys. Do you hunt up around Oil City much?,

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
ST52v,

Usually pass by on our way up to Tionesta or Warren for Grouse. Haven't been up since Nov 2011 tho. Oil City and surroundings are a sportsman's paradise.

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Hot Rod,

Sorry, missed your note!

Not sure if you can call it hunt, when it seems that all we do is walk... that is compared to duck hunting in the Central flyway. My buddy with the dog is also from Pittsburgh, so we we usually only get up North once a year. He purchased a clear-cut map from the US Forestry lady that collects all of the satellite data, so we've combined our usual haunts with this info. Can't say its been as successful as boots-on-the-ground intel tho.

How about yourself?

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
I am just down across the border in WV, about 30 minutes south of Morgantown. I would be all about getting together with some fellow roksliders on a weekend trip.

Jon Boy

WKR
Ill be in Altuna for a little while this winter, not sure where that is in relation to all you fellas but it would be great to meet up with some of you! Hows the fly fishing in that area?

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Flesher, sounds good to me! Seems like the logical meeting point would be ... hmmm... Cabelas?

Jon Boy, you in for the Marsellus? The fly fishing is fantastic around Altoona; Spruce Creek is close by, and there are tons of honey holes within 5-10 miles. The fishing is more of dense cover avoidance if you catch my drift. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

Send me a PM when you get in, and I'll you hook up. (okay just one more!)

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't lived there is a long time, but I am originally from Washington, PA too.