New guy from NW MT looking for some info to help my scouting in this region!

Mapledog

FNG
I just moved to the NW region of MT and have hunted the SW region for several years(5). Spots I’ve scouted over the summer up here have mainly found me glassing moose and whitetail where I think there should be elk. I’m hitting 5-10 year old cuts, natural meadows ( which are hard to come by up here) and water source intersections (good wallow points). Running a similar elevation of around 4-6k. I will hit the woods hard come bow season to learn more about the landscape but just hoping I’m searching in the right areas (food,water,shelter). Really hate to drive 4 hours to where I know best every chance I can but I’m barely finding old rut activity in the areas I’ve hiked so far. Any suggestions would be much appreciated on what I should be looking for more.

Thanks for the add!! Good luck this season!
Thanks

I just moved to the NW region of MT and have hunted the SW region for several years(5). Spots I’ve scouted over the summer up here have mainly found me glassing moose and whitetail where I think there should be elk. I’m hitting 5-10 year old cuts, natural meadows ( which are hard to come by up here) and water source intersections (good wallow points). Running a similar elevation of around 4-6k. I will hit the woods hard come bow season to learn more about the landscape but just hoping I’m searching in the right areas (food,water,shelter). Really hate to drive 4 hours to where I know best every chance I can but I’m barely finding old rut activity in the areas I’ve hiked so far. Any suggestions would be much appreciated on what I should be looking for more.

Thanks for the add!! Good luck this season!
Thanks
sounds like it's been scouted to death for years. Too much "scouting" will ruin any area