New guy from North Carolina

Teodoro

FNG
Hey, long-time lurker, first-time poster!

I'm in the Triangle area of North Carolina (middle of state). I hunt doves, and deer with muzzleloader and rifle.

Hoping to get out into the NC mountains this year for deer and bear. And hoping maybe I can chase antelope next year.

I also have a couple canoes and like to bum around camping and fishing.

Looking forward to chatting with y'all.

EdP

WKR
Welcome aboard. If you are interested in hunting antelope start buying preference points if you have not already been doing so. The antelope situation has changed drastically from what it was just a few years ago.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
T

Teodoro

FNG
start buying preference points if you have not already been doing so. The antelope situation has changed drastically from what it was just a few years ago.
Thank you for the heads up! That's a bummer to hear. I'm interested in western hunting, but getting deep into points and applications and odds feels to me a little bit like filing an income tax return.

If I was happy to shoot a doe with a muzzleloader, because I mostly just want to go and see the critters and have the experience and the meat, would that change how hard I need to look at points?

Not asking you to even point me at a state, I've been doing some googling and can do more. But I had kind of hoped that as long as I wasn't interested in a trophy, I didn't need to get as into the game.

EdP

WKR
Wyoming has the most pronghorns. The Wy F&G site has all the info you need to figure out your options and chances of getting a tag. Western state hunting regulations are quite a bit different than eastern states regarding licensing, tags, game checking, and other factors, plus each state has their own way of doing things. It can be, like you say, a bit like doing taxes, so you do need to spend some time studying up on it. In general, areas (hunt units) with more public ground are harder to draw. You can look at draw odds from past years and hunting access info on the Wy site. Note that tag quotas do change year to year and pronghorn got slammed this past winter so quotas for this year are down, significantly in some areas.

Last edited: