New gun thoughts

OP
Ehunter56

Ehunter56

FNG
Looked for a CZ 550 American Safari in 375.......apparently everyone loves them so much no one is selling them. I know they were discontinued a few years back....

Maverick1

WKR
Well, good for you, just admitting that you have an itch for something new. Lots of other people just make up excuses to justify a new purchase. Admitting the real reason, better than denial.

Buy whatever makes you happy.

OP
Ehunter56

Ehunter56

FNG
It's looking like a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H is in the works. Got a pretty sweet price on a brand new one, just have to wait 3-6 months for them to make and ship it, then off to a gunsmith for a few minor upgrades. Then another 3-4 weeks while I have the metal coated. Hopefully by next year, I'll have it in hand. lol

OP
Ehunter56

Ehunter56

FNG
Well, the new gun already showed up. Win Model 70 Safari Express 375 H&H. Has amazing fit and finish, surprisingly smooth action, good crisp trigger, and some pretty decent wood on it as well. Much better than what I've seen in most factory Winchesters recently. Got it sent off to the gunsmith last week. Having it bedded, bolt and barrel lapped, rings trued, extractor tuned, and a few other tweaks. Then off to get coated by Lee Mecham. Should be shooting in a month or two. Was getting excited until I looked at ammo prices. lol

The 375 H&H has the history, but it flys about as flat as an airborne bathtub. Everyone should have a 375 at some point in their life.

About as much kapow in a flatter shooting package is the 340 Weatherby. A 338 ultra mag or 338 Lapua would be a touch more, but that’s getting way up there in recoil. My personal cutoff point for recoil is the 340 WBY or 375 H&H - both are very similar when fired side by side in equal weight rifles.

I wanted an accurate 340 so bad for a number of years - had a Shilen barrel put on a Winchester action and it shot like crap - obviously something was wrong with the barrel install and the accuracy wasn’t ever better than 1-1/4 moa, but Shilen told me to kick rocks.

I‘ll get another good .338” barrel sometime this year, and have another go at it - although this time I’m using a reamer that is sized a lot more like a PRC with tighter dimensions and a normal length freebore. The Ultra Mag makes more sense, but I love the look and feel of the 340 case.
I shoot a 375 H&H with a 235 TSX@ 2950 fps!
IMG_4533.jpeg

OP
Ehunter56

Ehunter56

FNG
Been looking at both of those bullets. Barnes always seem to fly good for me in any caliber. Have shot the accubonds a few times, and they fly great as well. Hoping both will fly well in the 375. Harder than hell to find the accubonds though. lol

Been looking at both of those bullets. Barnes always seem to fly good for me in any caliber. Have shot the accubonds a few times, and they fly great as well. Hoping both will fly well in the 375. Harder than hell to find the accubonds though. lol
If I wasn’t shooting 0.75” at a hundred with those Barnes pictured above, I would try the 250 grn Hammer projectile.

My dad has had good luck with the 250 grn TTSXs too.

Bama67

Lil-Rokslider
Seems you got plenty of fast stuff already. I say 45-70.
Seems slow compared to the magnums but a flat nose 350-400grn moving over 2000fps will penetrate through most anything on earth.
Maybe in a Ruger No1 be nice.

Bluefish

WKR
Seems you got plenty of fast stuff already. I say 45-70.
Seems slow compared to the magnums but a flat nose 350-400grn moving over 2000fps will penetrate through most anything on earth.
Maybe in a Ruger No1 be nice.
Even a 500g subsonic has plenty of penetration and quiet with a can. My favorite woods deer rifle at the moment. Going to try 400g as I can spot shots and still should be overkill for white tails.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had pretty good luck just posting WTB adds on different forums. I probably ended up with 15-20 boxes of 260g partitions and ABs.

The 250g TTSX shoots great too out of the 375, those are more available now. It seems like there was a 2-3 year time period where they couldn’t be found.

OP
Ehunter56

Ehunter56

FNG
Finally got it back. Went out to shoot this morning, and was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the recoil was. Just shot some factory 270 gr. Hornady Superformance rounds, and was staying within an inch for groups. Gunsmith had sighted it in already, and said it was a real "kicker". He must be a bit more recoil sensitive or something. Felt just about the same as an old double barrel shotgun my dad has, with pheasant loads in it. I loved that shotgun. lol Plan on getting a few empty cases the "fun way", then loading up some 235's, 250's, and 270 Barnes I picked up. That is once I find some primers. lol
Thanks for all the input and help you guys have given!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Finally got it back. Went out to shoot this morning, and was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the recoil was. Just shot some factory 270 gr. Hornady Superformance rounds, and was staying within an inch for groups. Gunsmith had sighted it in already, and said it was a real "kicker". He must be a bit more recoil sensitive or something. Felt just about the same as an old double barrel shotgun my dad has, with pheasant loads in it. I loved that shotgun. lol Plan on getting a few empty cases the "fun way", then loading up some 235's, 250's, and 270 Barnes I picked up. That is once I find some primers. lol
Thanks for all the input and help you guys have given!
More recoil shy or the stock just dosent work for him.

I’ve had several 375HH rifles over the past few years, my current favorite is a Remington that weighs less than 8lbs with a 21” barrel. It kicks but it’s nothing really. I had a weatherby vanguard that was longer, heavier and had a bell and Carlson stock. That damn gun would take skin off my knuckles when I fired it.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poodles