New Federal Fusion TIPPED…. Thoughts

alexnelon

FNG
Anybody heard anything about these recently?

Announced 4 months ago and still not even on the website.

Are these ever coming?

Axlrod

WKR
Anybody heard anything about these recently?

Announced 4 months ago and still not even on the website.

Are these ever coming?
HaHaHa
A few years ago Federal announced a new bullet. Don't remember the name- bullet was shiny black with a blue tip. A buddy I was doing load dev. for a sheep hunt, asked me to get some to try.
I called Federal, and talked to the marketing director. I asked him when they would be avail. He said " oh the production mgr. is sitting right here, i'll ask him" I could hear him say " they are being packed this week, will be in all outlets by the end of the month"
It was 2 years before they were available to buy.

The actual people that should know don't have a clue. Asking on a forum is not going to get any accurate info.

Dsellen14

FNG
Well it does like they’re being sold in factory ammo now. To me it’s probably a Speer impact with different color tip. This have been shooting well in my creedmoors and taken some game already. Pleased with performance.

OP
sierracharlie338
Well it does like they’re being sold in factory ammo now. To me it’s probably a Speer impact with different color tip. This have been shooting well in my creedmoors and taken some game already. Pleased with performance.
Got any pics to share? Would like to see some terminal performance data!

Dsellen14

FNG
Got any pics to share? Would like to see some terminal performanc

No I couldn’t find any as they all exited. I attached link above though for my experience.

Dsellen14

FNG

Also posting some a thread I saw earlier.

WCB

WKR
They are not the same.

3 shots 7 prc 175 gr fusion tipped at 100 yards...pretty impressive...I have to say federal has always been quality ammo whether it's there cheap power shok or there premium line.

Attachments

• 20240908_130413.jpg
    20240908_130413.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 29
Did you get any speeds on it?
No unfortunately not the cheap caldwell chrono worked for about 3 federal premium eld x with high numbers 2996 being the fastest ES was minimal don't have number on top but due to chrono we were unable to test the fusion..but It stacks em in there...for anyone wondering I shoot a browning xbolt pro carbon fiber 7mm prc with a 24 in barrel.

eroksolfe

FNG
No unfortunately not the cheap caldwell chrono worked for about 3 federal premium eld x with high numbers 2996 being the fastest ES was minimal don't have number on top but due to chrono we were unable to test the fusion..but It stacks em in there...for anyone wondering I shoot a browning xbolt pro carbon fiber 7mm prc with a 24 in barrel.
Gotcha. I was thinking about giving it a try as my 7 prc with 22" barrel only gets 2820 with the ELDM ammo after about 200 rounds down the tube. My friend pointed me toward the Bison Ballistics bullet comparison tool which can do some rough head-to-head comparisons of velocity at different ranges. What it told me was that even if I were to get 125 ft faster per second with the Fusion, the BC is so much better on the ELDM that the speed of the ELDM would be faster at beyond 200 yards. Since I'm hunting out west (all shots over 200yd) and the ELDMs are already shooting great, there isn't a reason to change. Though I would love the groups you seem to be getting out of the Fusion stuff.

Gotcha. I was thinking about giving it a try as my 7 prc with 22" barrel only gets 2820 with the ELDM ammo after about 200 rounds down the tube. My friend pointed me toward the Bison Ballistics bullet comparison tool which can do some rough head-to-head comparisons of velocity at different ranges. What it told me was that even if I were to get 125 ft faster per second with the Fusion, the BC is so much better on the ELDM that the speed of the ELDM would be faster at beyond 200 yards. Since I'm hunting out west (all shots over 200yd) and the ELDMs are already shooting great, there isn't a reason to change. Though I would love the groups you seem to be getting out of the Fusion stuff.
I would highly recommend you try a box of federal premium eld x you will get alot better performance with a tougher bullet...I've shot hundreds of pigs with the eld m and I elk hunt quite frequently and have seen the downfall of using the eldm..it's fine on deer but elk I would never trust it after the first hand experience with family members using eld m bullets...the fusions group great but in all fairness I got blessed with a very good gun..that gun since day one has been putting rounds in the same hole with damn near every round I've ran threw it ...it is a .5 inch gun on bad days lol...worst group I've ever shot with that gun was 1.25 at 100 with the cx bullet ..I also tried barnes lrx in choice ammunition and same thing 1 hole shooter...I just prefer federal premium and although I do not feel the eld x is the best bullet ever made I do believe it is one of the best rounded bullets available...plenty of elk ..axis deer ..big hogs etc have proved that for me.

eroksolfe

FNG
I might end up rolling with the ELD-x as it shoots those about the same. I've gone back and forth related to the different options out there. Ran CX last year but it also didn't shoot that great. I've seen and heard some 'horror stories' about the ELD-x that makes me a bit gun-shy. I think any of them will kill plenty well, just want the most accurate one of the bunch.

Gotcha. I was thinking about giving it a try as my 7 prc with 22" barrel only gets 2820 with the ELDM ammo after about 200 rounds down the tube. My friend pointed me toward the Bison Ballistics bullet comparison tool which can do some rough head-to-head comparisons of velocity at different ranges. What it told me was that even if I were to get 125 ft faster per second with the Fusion, the BC is so much better on the ELDM that the speed of the ELDM would be faster at beyond 200 yards. Since I'm hunting out west (all shots over 200yd) and the ELDMs are already shooting great, there isn't a reason to change. Though I would love the groups you seem to be getting out of the Fusion

I might end up rolling with the ELD-x as it shoots those about the same. I've gone back and forth related to the different options out there. Ran CX last year but it also didn't shoot that great. I've seen and heard some 'horror stories' about the ELD-x that makes me a bit gun-shy. I think any of them will kill plenty well, just want the most accurate one of the bunch.
I agree...my personal favorite bullet if I could get my hands on is the terminal ascent..can't find right now ..but in all honesty I'd be lien if I didn't give the eld x props...I have shot over 17 animals and I have yet to this day recovered a bullet and knock on wood I have never lost 1...I have had barely any blood on certain shots and then others it looked like you threw a paint can...I'm not a eld x fan boy by no means I'd change tomorrow if I had to and wouldn't lose sleep...but I can't deny the performance I personally have experienced.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
I agree...my personal favorite bullet if I could get my hands on is the terminal ascent..can't find right now ..but in all honesty I'd be lien if I didn't give the eld x props...I have shot over 17 animals and I have yet to this day recovered a bullet and knock on wood I have never lost 1...I have had barely any blood on certain shots and then others it looked like you threw a paint can...I'm not a eld x fan boy by no means I'd change tomorrow if I had to and wouldn't lose sleep...but I can't deny the performance I personally have experienced.
I’m exactly the opposite. I have always shot the fusion and last season switched to terminal ascent. They shot great but just so so terminal performance. All killed but through and through with small exit holes and 3 of the 4 animals ran some distance.

I’ve switched back to tipped fusion for this season and for my upcoming elk hunt in 6.5 PRC. Talked extensively with @Formidilosus and I feel like the tip will only help an already good bullet.

I feel the tipped fusion is kind of a blend of bullets. It’s bonded with some weight retention for deep penetration, but soft enough for some fragmentation and increased tissue damage.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
Also I have a 20.5” 6.5prc with ab raptor 8 stack. Box says 2975. I got 2835. It’s plenty fast but a little disappointed in velocity. Was looking more for 2875. But they might have used a 26” when obtaining that 2975 and Blaser barrels aren’t known for being fast

eroksolfe

FNG
I’m exactly the opposite. I have always shot the fusion and last season switched to terminal ascent. They shot great but just so so terminal performance. All killed but through and through with small exit holes and 3 of the 4 animals ran some distance.

I’ve switched back to tipped fusion for this season and for my upcoming elk hunt in 6.5 PRC. Talked extensively with @Formidilosus and I feel like the tip will only help an already good bullet.

I feel the tipped fusion is kind of a blend of bullets. It’s bonded with some weight retention for deep penetration, but soft enough for some fragmentation and increased tissue damage.
The Fusion being bonded was another factor that attracted me to consider it. While I haven't talked to Form, I listened to many of his podcasts including the most recent ons with Exo. The logic is hard to argue with related to wound channel and penetration being more important than pure energy. It's why I'm moving away from the CX this year. I have some 177 HH loads that I was going to try but the wound channel stuff is still giving me some pause even with that one.