New Factory loads 6.8 western?

Has anyone heard or does anyone know if other companies plan to start producing factory 6.8 western loads? I reached out to Hornady and they said that they wanted to see how popular it became before they started working on loads for it. Just curious if anyone has any inside info lol.

35remy

FNG
Word on the street is that Hornady is dropping the 7mm PRC this fall which will probably compete closely with the 6.8 Western. I’m not sure if there is much support for the cartridge outside of Win/Browning right now, and it may not gain any more traction if the 7PRC takes off. I’m debating on buying a 6.8 or waiting for the new cartridge myself.

I have talked to people personally that have shot the 6.8 western and loved it with its knock down power. I recently purchased an X-bolt chambered for a 6.8 Western after doing all my research due the energy it delivers at longer yardages. The introduction of the 7 PRC to me will make or break the 6.8 Western. I know the 6.5 PRC is not a fan favorite with people I know and what I read so that may leave some people with a bad taste in their mouth about the 7 PRC. I plan on finding out what my x-bolt likes to shoot and buying enough ammo to cover me for years.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I have been a big fan of the 270WSM for a long time. My savage SA chambered in 270WSM has taken a bunch of game and its been laser gun accurate. In all honesty, I am really not sure how much of an upgrade the Western is over the WSM. I've shot the 150 Nosler Accubond LR out of my WSM with good accuracy. The ballistics difference in even the 175s out of a Western and 150s out of a WSM is negligible.
As much as the hype died down in the WSMs over the last decade or so, I would fear the 6.8 Western is likely to fade into obscurity.
Now, if Hornady had been behind it, and called it the 6.8PRC or 6.8ASM or some other catchy 3 letter tag, we'd all be talking about how its the best thing to come along in decades. LOL

I have been a big fan of the 270WSM for a long time. My savage SA chambered in 270WSM has taken a bunch of game and its been laser gun accurate. In all honesty, I am really not sure how much of an upgrade the Western is over the WSM. I've shot the 150 Nosler Accubond LR out of my WSM with good accuracy. The ballistics difference in even the 175s out of a Western and 150s out of a WSM is negligible.
As much as the hype died down in the WSMs over the last decade or so, I would fear the 6.8 Western is likely to fade into obscurity.
Now, if Hornady had been behind it, and called it the 6.8PRC or 6.8ASM or some other catchy 3 letter tag, we'd all be talking about how its the best thing to come along in decades. LOL
The 270 wsm has one problem a slow twist rated barrel. That's why they came out with the 6.8.

I have talked to people personally that have shot the 6.8 western and loved it with its knock down power. I recently purchased an X-bolt chambered for a 6.8 Western after doing all my research due the energy it delivers at longer yardages. The introduction of the 7 PRC to me will make or break the 6.8 Western. I know the 6.5 PRC is not a fan favorite with people I know and what I read so that may leave some people with a bad taste in their mouth about the 7 PRC. I plan on finding out what my x-bolt likes to shoot and buying enough ammo to cover me for years.
To me, the 6.5 PRC is really catching on. At least, I see people with them at the range and I see rifles so chambered at the gun shops. A lot of companies are making brass and loading for it, and there's a ton of quality 6.5 bullets available; likewise, a lot of gun companies are chambering for it. I see ammo on the shelves here and there for 6.8 W, but very few rifles. I don't really care one way or another and think they're both good rounds that will perform indistinguishably close on game animals, but at this stage of the game it seems to me that the 6.5 PRC is more likely to be around for awhile than the 6.8 W.

I'd rather the Western was a revamped 7mm wsm vs a 270 wsm; there's just so many more quality .284 bullets out there. I think it was a missed opportunity.

The 7PRC is a long action, and is more of modernized 7mm rem mag that's optimized to shoot 175's out of a 3.34 action/mag box. I see it doing very well. A 175+ .284 bullet has an awful lot going for it.

Last edited: