New Digiscoping Option—MagView **Review Added 8/3/22**

JakeSCH

WKR
@robby denning did you spend any time handhold binos with the B1 on them? Curious how it would "feel" against the eye with different sized eye cups.

The S1 looks great though! Love the simplicity of the design.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning did you spend any time handhold binos with the B1 on them? Curious how it would "feel" against the eye with different sized eye cups.

The S1 looks great though! Love the simplicity of the design.
Yes, I hand held and could tell the ring was on the bino, and you have to adjust the right eyecup out to match the height of the ring. I’m a low-eye cup setting guy, so it took some getting used to, but not too bad. If you’re a bino-digiscoper, it’s a minor inconvenience to have a set up on your bino ready to roll if needed. Oh, and most eyecup covers on the bino won’t fit over the ring, so keep that in mind.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
It looks like you have to manually line the phone up with the spotting scope each time. Is that correct?

Does it move around during use after you align it? Any risk of the phone falling off?
The phone lens lines up with the eye piece fast and easy, more so than I expected. The magnet holds it pretty well on there. I have an iPhone 12Pro for reference of phone weight.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Combined with the Aziak bino tripod adapter this is 1oz of worth it. Still fits inside my Marsupial harness as well.

My only complaint which is relatively minor would be that I have to adjust the eye relief from where I like it to where the phone likes it.

915f1e1b81d913e8910bdac10b33aba0.jpg

42b90340f7a29fba94eae62d867725dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding magnets and compass function...

With the B1 installed on your binos while sitting in your chest harness, does the magnet affect compass function when using a mapping app (OnX)?

For example... on a packout after dark, I am not using my binos. However, I will check my mapping app to get back to camp. I typically hold the phone at chest level to navigate. Will the compass be affected when holding it that close to the eyepiece magnet?

sdolan617

FNG
Question - can the metal mount that goes on the phone be attached to a slim case instead of directly to the phone or will that interfere with relief?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Question - can the metal mount that goes on the phone be attached to a slim case instead of directly to the phone or will that interfere with relief?
Yes, sorry that wasn't clear in the video. Can attach to any case IMO. Unless there's some weird case out there without flat surfaces or can't get the plate close enough to the lens(es) to mount.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding magnets and compass function...

With the B1 installed on your binos while sitting in your chest harness, does the magnet affect compass function when using a mapping app (OnX)?

For example... on a packout after dark, I am not using my binos. However, I will check my mapping app to get back to camp. I typically hold the phone at chest level to navigate. Will the compass be affected when holding it that close to the eyepiece magnet?
I'm betting it will interfere, and didn't think about that with bino on the chest, but we'll try our best to test that in the reviews.

@Tony Trietch @SLDMTN

JoeDirt

WKR
Yes, I hand held and could tell the ring was on the bino, and you have to adjust the right eyecup out to match the height of the ring. I’m a low-eye cup setting guy, so it took some getting used to, but not too bad. If you’re a bino-digiscoper, it’s a minor inconvenience to have a set up on your bino ready to roll if needed. Oh, and most eyecup covers on the bino won’t fit over the ring, so keep that in mind.
I was surprised to get mine in the mail so quickly in the mail.

I wonder if they can come up with a rubber for the other eye cap that makes both feel the same size? The two different sized eye cups are a little weird, I might buy another set and leave them on all my binos if that was an option!

A side note is my 15x56 Swaro have a large enough eyecup that the Magview stays on without the screw. I might just keep one in the harness and pop it on when needed, no tools!

Lighting fast shipping. Ordered Thursday, got it Friday afternoon. I like this thing. Will most definitely be replacing my bulky universal PS setup. Really like how it doubles as an eyepiece cover, so I don’t have to use the crummy cover swaro gives you on the STS/ATS scopes.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Lighting fast shipping. Ordered Thursday, got it Friday afternoon. I like this thing. Will most definitely be replacing my bulky universal PS setup. Really like how it doubles as an eyepiece cover, so I don’t have to use the crummy cover swaro gives you on the STS/ATS scopes.

I thought the same, the eye peice cover is an upgrade to my Swaro

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just as a point of clarification, this is the cover I was talking about that won’t fit anymore. Agreed with the Swaro rubber cover being worthless.

7c326955836fe52950940ec5d9286aa6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just as a point of clarification, this is the cover I was talking about that won’t fit anymore. Agreed with the rubber cover being worthless.

7c326955836fe52950940ec5d9286aa6.jpg

Oh the upper sleeve. Yip have to snap it off.