New Digiscoping Option—MagView **Review Added 8/3/22**

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a trick to get the phone to hold in landscape orientation? I was playing around with a magview on my spotter and it wanted to slide around and not hold in landscape. I got some good pics and video but all with the vertical orientation.
Yes, if you’re in the MagView app, look in the upper left-hand corner for an icon of a padlock with a circle around it. That’s how you lock orientation. If you’re not using the app, in the iPhone, there is the same icon if you look for it. I can’t speak for android, but I’m sure it does.

Yes, if you’re in the MagView app, look in the upper left-hand corner for an icon of a padlock with a circle around it. That’s how you lock orientation. If you’re not using the app, in the iPhone, there is the same icon if you look for it. I can’t speak for android, but I’m sure it does.

Swipe down from upper right corner to get to the Control Center, and it's in there.

No brother. I’ve had it on the SwarovskiATS 25 to 50, 20 to 60, the ATC 17 to 40 and the BTX.

I found I had to mix-and-match spacers to get the right fitment, but everything has fit and never fallen off (going on 2 seasons of use and too many days to count).

The only problem I had was on the BTX… I overtightened the Allen head And blew through the bottom of the screw hole and they had to warrantee it.

They told me that it was designed to blow through the bottom of the screw hole rather than overtighten and crush an ocular lens/ring. Which made sense.

So since then, I’ve been more careful about getting the right spacers in. And haven’t had a problem. I have extra spacers here if I can send you any I just need to know which ones you need.
Thanks for the offer Robby, got in contact with Magview CS and they're sending a replacement pack. I'm also going to blue loctite the set screw at their recommendation so it doesn't wiggle free again.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the offer Robby, got in contact with Magview CS and they're sending a replacement pack. I'm also going to blue loctite the set screw at their recommendation so it doesn't wiggle free again.
good to hear Steve. Let us know if you get it to fit right. I just used mine another week (on the ATX) and it's going strong

Is this gold part of the set screw supposed to come apart like this? My gut says it's not...

I put the new spacers in (thickest and thinnest) and it was snug on the eyepiece before I even started the set screw. Cranked down on the set screw, and the magview still spun around on the eyepiece and popped right off with little effort. With just the thick spacer it doesn't get tight enough. OD on the eyepiece is a hair under 2". Between 1 31/32" and 1 63/64" based on my caliper.

Maybe it's a problem with having two spacers in there. If that's the case, then the Magview will not fit on a Kowa TE-9Z. Surprised it stayed on the first time for more than 5 minutes. Really frustrated with this thing.

IMG_2275.JPG

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is this gold part of the set screw supposed to come apart like this? My gut says it's not...

I put the new spacers in (thickest and thinnest) and it was snug on the eyepiece before I even started the set screw. Cranked down on the set screw, and the magview still spun around on the eyepiece and popped right off with little effort. With just the thick spacer it doesn't get tight enough. OD on the eyepiece is a hair under 2". Between 1 31/32" and 1 63/64" based on my caliper.

Maybe it's a problem with having two spacers in there. If that's the case, then the Magview will not fit on a Kowa TE-9Z. Surprised it stayed on the first time for more than 5 minutes. Really frustrated with this thing.

View attachment 624168
I think that is what happens when you overtighten the screw as I described above on my BTX. Sorry man! they design it that way so you don't damage the optic if you overtighten it.

when you (if even possible on that Kowa), get the spacers right, you don't have to tighten the screw much at all and definitely not "crank"

They should cover it. But that doesn't help you if you're trying to go hunting now. Hit them up and see what they say. Maybe it's time to request a refund if it's just not going to fit.

Jackk66

FNG
another example of why we post these threads as you guys think of things we don't.
I've ran the magnet concurrently on my phone while using onX and no issues.
BUT, just to be sure, I tried it again and with my Compass app and both were tracking North perfectly.

( @Tony Trietch @SLDMTN this is something to keep an eye on in your testing.)
What do you think about it after using it for over a year? I’m pretty sure Santa is bringing me the S1.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What do you think about it after using it for over a year? I’m pretty sure Santa is bringing me the S1.
hey, still using it!

and the quote you posted above about onX interference is still true. the metal plate on the phone has no magnetic properties and no interference with phone.

You'll need to practice the indexing (camera/scope alignment) but other than that, very happy with this minimalist system and really enjoying the lens cap system too--lots of protection

Darrindlh

FNG
Robby,
Im sorry it has taken me so long to follow up. Im not trying to be negative. But the app still shuts down. I wont be able to use it. Got in contact with Phone Skope snd they sent me a replacement. Happy New year to you all.

Darrin

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,
Im sorry it has taken me so long to follow up. Im not trying to be negative. But the app still shuts down. I wont be able to use it. Got in contact with Phone Skope snd they sent me a replacement. Happy New year to you all.

Darrin
thanks for letting us know. I'm sending this to my contact at MV, just so he knows he lost a customer over the app.

You shoulde be very happy with your Phone Skope--I am with mine

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,

Darrin
Hey, just FYI that I had let them know you moved on . This is their official response (glad they finally decided not to issue a fix-by date).

"The app has been experiencing some issues with the iPhone 15 specifically. Our app dev team is already working on it, and we are in the process of testing updates. We don’t have a date set in stone but we’re working on it."

My advice to iphone 15 users, steer clear until this is resolved if you're wanting to use the MV app. Too bad for MV! Great product but people need everything to work as claimed.

Auggie

FNG
I’ve had one for a few weeks now (well, actually two, as there is a binocular option —the B1, and a spotting scope option—the S1.)

They’re just becoming available today, so wanted to get some experience with the system before posting.

It’s called MagView, as it uses a rare earth magnet on any phone or phone case (making it a universal adapter) and a small ring that attaches to your eyepiece on any binocular or spotting scope (there could be an exception out there).

It works well and is lightweight and fast (with some practice)

It took me about 15 minutes to install and start using proficiently, then a few more uses to become efficient.

Like all adapters, you have to fine tune to eliminate the vignette ring. I’m getting pretty good at it now.

This video shows it on the Swarovski ATS 20-60X65mm and Zeiss SFL 10x40.

*one clarification that Tony caught, the magnet is on optic ring, not on the phone so there is no effect on the compass. Good catch Tony!

Also, the MAGVIEW systems are supported by an app. As it wasn’t ready for release as of today, I didn’t get to try it so can’t comment on it. @Tony Trietch & @SLDMTN are both using the system and will have a complete review up before August 10th, so they’ll be able to comment more on the system and the app. Hit the Watch button upper right of lead post to subscribe so you don’t miss the review.

***Update 8/3/22*** MagView Digiscoping System Review

Pros
- light and fast
-always on the phone and optic, so always ready
-universal
-S1 Spotting Scope Adapter includes an easy-to-use lens cover
-Didn’t interfere with viewing experience on the optics I used
-Made in the USA!

Cons
-some practice required to eliminate vignette
-the plate on the phone won’t allow me to charge my phone wirelessly
-more expensive than some competitors

You can see more at their website: https://magviewgear.com/products/
SOunds silly... but does it affect how your phone slides in and out of a pocket?

Magview is being pushed by influencers that WKR's like and Ollin is being pushed by influencers that WKR's don't like?

I haven't had a real tough time with the indexing on the Magview. I keep a finger between the plate and magnet, line up the camera lens, then slide my finger out as I rotate the plate end of the phone into the magnet. Adjustment from there is minor. But one thing I can't seem to get down is getting the phone seated on the magnet without it "clapping" when the magnet and plate hit.

I’d love to chime in here. Going from the old Phone scope to prior just holding the camera up to it with nothing until it can focus. I’m not gonna lie, mag view has been an interesting piece of gear last season and this season so far. My iphone won’t work with the magnet on my NL pure binos. It seems like the picture I can’t get it to lock in with the A/E lock on 1.2 zoom. It’s just not very user friendly on binos. It’s easier to get locked into focus on the ATC spotter for some reason. But most buddies who come with me to glass struggle to get the phone to lock in. Not sure if this is because iphone now have three cameras not 1-2. I’m not sure but it seems like by the time we need the picture and video we are still trying to get the magview into place…. Then you finally get it right? Then it’s like the iphone switches cameras and it’s outside the scope.
SUCH A PAIN-not something you want to deal with learn from my mistakes it’s been a headache.
.Gonna go a different route because we can get picture and video easier without the magview in place right now just using nothing works better then trying to align a magnet that claps all over the place for hours…. Using nothing but a steady hand and camera has worked much better then fighting magnets. I’m sure other users have had better times with it maybe… Just seems like since I got a new phone it’s been a complete struggle now with the magview and am missing a lot of content now. If anyone is using something else that is fast, light and efficient let me know. I do know that this magview system with my iphone does not work with the NL pure. I just can’t get it to focus with binos and get any picture on a tripod.