New career, getting out of law enforcement

Loo.wii

WKR
I'll try and answer a bunch of people's questions in a single post. I'm late 30's. Digital forensics and coding is not for me. I like the networking advice a lot. The interesting part of my profession is you get looked at poorly by administration if they catch wind of you looking for other employment. Word spreads fast and your chances of attending training and promotions end the second your commitment to the department comes into question. So, networking can be a bit tricky. I haven't looked too much at defence as I assume travel would be involved.

One thing is for sure, I don't want to leave for another job, I want to leave for another career. That career preferably has advancement opportunities.

@tony, @roadrunner, @wesfromky, @Duh
Im directly responding to your comment about how your admin leadership would look down on you if they heard about you looking for a new gig. You control the narrative in this case. Obviously your end state is getting a new gig but you can sell it / or spin it in a way that suggests you're more so looking to expand your community.

That’s a tough one. In the profession, especially as an investigator, you need to be both.
Agreed, but you may want to frame what that looks like in your next job. Lot of opportunities out there in management, analysis, development, and operations that have excellent compensation packages, but usually come with responsibility and a desk.

Younger guys tend to want to be out there getting after it. Mid career guys struggle with wanting management money but early career responsibilities. Late career guys focus on financial compensation because you gain more flexibility in life with every additional decimal point in your bank account.

tony

WKR
That’s nuts. My wife went back to school at 36 and got a BSN, got hired before she even finished the degree and makes 185k/year.

I guess in my experience job shortages don’t necessarily mean there are shortages in your area. Lots of opportunities if you are willing to relocate but I completely understand that can be difficult with kids, family, home ownership, spouses job etc etc.
I should clarify, I am working now. Just wanting a change of scenery and atmosphere
Also I am being particular as the job I was looking at pays into the same state retirement I already have. That’s what I’m looking for.

tony

WKR
No kidding about the thugs and rights.
I work in a women's prison. They all got ipads to keep them happy when covid was a thing.

No kidding about the thugs and rights.
I work in a women's prison. They all got ipads to keep them happy when covid was a thing.
I started in the federal prison system and moved on to another 3 letter agency that was just as bad if not worse. Was eye opening after serving in the Marine Corps to see how the civilian federal law enforcement side ran. My mental health is 10xs better after leaving. Law enforcement today isn’t even close to the same as 5 years ago left alone 20-30.

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
There was one suggest to become a lawyer and Gray_Law said it worked for him. I'd recommend against it. The amount of schooling you will pay for in order to get the degree doesn't make it worth it. I love my job but if I had it all to do over again, I probably would not go to law school.

I would think your skillset could easily transition to a Probation Agent style job and you likely already have some of the connections to make that work.

There is some excellent advice on here by people who know more about HR than I do. When I was applying for prosecution jobs all over the state I struggled to get my foot in the door. When I saw the posting for the county I work for now I made the decision to hand-deliver my app. Drove 3 hours to hand it to my future boss. Shook his hand and said, "I wanted you to be able to put a face with the name on the application." Then drove 3 hours home. My boss told me later, that got me the job.

Shraggs

WKR
Just adding a couple of out if the box thoughts.

Become a Six Sigma Black Belt. A comprehensive, objective problem solving process. The math can be intimidating, but it’s root cause investigation used by many employers and now many independents.

Get into sales. A comfortable way is representing industries/products you’re knowledgeable in or have passion for.

I’m not in LE, but associate with many - I feel these two have many overlapping skill sets.

Rich M

WKR
I'm sensing you don't really know what you want to do.

They have aptitude tests and stuff like that to help folks figure things out. Local unemployment office will have those tools. They can also help you with resume and job leads.

Don't be afraid to get more training/education in the field you want to go. Since you already have college degree, another one won't require redoing the basic curriculum. And a lot of the classes can be done online.

Hardest thing will be overcoming the stigma the of the mental image folks have of police.

I'm basically deaf - if I can do it, you can do it. Stop worrying about what folks think, and realize that you have tons to offer and when the right position comes around, you'll get it.

7mm-08

WKR
Retired from a command staff position in federal law enforcement after 33 years with various agencies in a dozen different geographical locations throughout the U.S. Good on you for recognizing that law enforcement is not a career choice that fits your personal objectives. What I will say is that you need to be careful staying in law enforcement too long before you leave the profession. About 15 years is the breakover timeframe. Go any longer and they'll have you in the golden handcuffs waiting for that pension, which is not something to scoff at. You'd be surprised how many companies are looking for people in your lane - responsible folks who show up on time, know how to not be an embarrassment to the entity you represent, understand that working conditions can be dynamic and you have the advantage of having seen many bad days by others' poor choices and examples. The best advice I can give you is: don't be afraid to apply for jobs that interest you even if their job descriptions might appear to be written for someone with a starkly different background. You never know. And, when it comes to the narrowminded approach of your management with respect to you moving on, simply understand they're just trying to preserve and protect their kingdoms.