New Bowstring Opinions

Twisted X is good quality, I have two bows and always purchase my sets well before needed. Normally purchase them a year or so before needed so I always have a new set on hand for either bow, for emergency or so I do not have to wait when needed. Just put a set of twisted X on my halon I bought a year or so ago, and first attempt on a Mathews 5-piece set, yokes and all, specs were dead on, ATA, brace. etc. Shot it a few dozen times set the peep, and was perfect the first time, just got lucky there, but hasn't moved, since.

My last few sets have been Twisted X which all have been flawless. I hear a lot of talk of Catfish Customs, so did pick up a set to try for my other bow, but these will not be installed to next Season, with the exception if needed before hand?

So eventually I'll be able to compare Catfish to Twisted X, but as of now cannot comment on Catfish yet, but as stated I know Twisted X are top quality sets.

Last edited:

Catahoula

WKR
Went with GAS Ghost XV replacement on my Mathews Halon 32 about 1.5 years back. No problems. Also, swapped out strings on spouse’s Mathews SDX with same as mentioned a year back. She is happy thus far..

Zac

WKR
Gas is the only thing that I have found so far that's serving does not separate after tying nock sets in and replacing D-loops. If I was going to try something new I would give Mad Goat, or Catfish a shot.

Hey guys. I need to get a new string for my Hoyt helix ultra and was wondering what your opinions on the best after market strings. The bow shop near me only gets Hoyt factory strings but I’m interested in getting an aftermarket. Lmk what your guys thoughts are
60x is the way to go!

slamdmini

FNG
my old bow has catfish and my current bow has twisted x. both have been awesome with no problems. lots of shots on both

another vote for mike at catfish, good guy and willing to help you out not just get you off the phone. I started making my own but if I get lazy I'll be calling him, plus he has always been cheaper than everyone else though I haven't checked in a while.

Catfish Customs is my go to. But I’ve used threadz, twisted x, A3, GAS and all make good strings as well. If you are ordering new strings, sooner the better. Lead times will get longer soon.
Thoughts on a3 vs catfish?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Catfish and X99 for me. Its just more consistent and looks better for longer...doesnt fray as much and I notice less peak weight loss over time with it. A3 as far as I know builds with either vec99 or 452x - Ive only used 1 set of Vec99 from them. Not saying any are bad materials, I just stick with X99.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Archery Shack X99. Tremendous value. I put a set on my V3 after my zebras started to get twisty and I think after the third shot I tied in my peep and never had to touch it over 2 seasons of both hunting and indoor 3D league.

sndmn11

WKR

Catfish and X99 for me. Its just more consistent and looks better for longer...doesnt fray as much and I notice less peak weight loss over time with it. A3 as far as I know builds with either vec99 or 452x - Ive only used 1 set of Vec99 from them. Not saying any are bad materials, I just stick with X99.

I switched over to Catfish as well per @justin davis suggestion. My Reckoning would get serving separation on one of the cable ends on factory strings and Vaportrail pretty quickly. The Catfish looks like it hasn't been shot and I am nearing 1k shots on it.

He made that set out of Vec99, and I have three more sets ordered last week.