New Bowstring Opinions

cayres67

FNG
Hey guys. I need to get a new string for my Hoyt helix ultra and was wondering what your opinions on the best after market strings. The bow shop near me only gets Hoyt factory strings but I’m interested in getting an aftermarket. Lmk what your guys thoughts are

sndmn11

WKR
I have used vapor trail for three sets, the set on my wife's has been fine; she shot it for a year and a half and I took a half twist last week to re-square the peep. My first set had the serving unwind around a cam, the second set the center serving slid about 1/4" within a couple months.

I think I'd try America's Best next.

BCY 452x laid up properly.

ABS, GAS, Rogue, any of the smaller builders with a good reputation.

For me it's more about the material, that's what matters. A properly laid up string you won't notice bit of difference no matter who did it.

I have seen problems from the best, they ain't immune, if you are using a local shop to do the work I'd go with what they recommend as that's who they have the best relationship with.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve had terrible experiences with bow strings the past two years. First set was from hogwire, that was a nightmare. I had to warranty two sets of ABB Platinums last year on two separate bows, my brother in law had to warranty a set twice on the same bow. I got a set from Rogue this year and have been very happy.

Zac

WKR
If your in a hurry Threadz is by far the fastest. If I was going to try out something new I'd try Catfish just based on the overwhelming amount of positive reviews.

I put some America's Best on my wife's mission after she dry fired. The last set of new strings I bought were custom made at a shop that no longer exist. GAS seems to be one of the choice strings around here though

ABB and Rogue both make good strings. I’m trying out some vapor trail this year to see. So far, the only brand I’ve ever had that had absolutely 0 center serving slip was ABB.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
John Mosier is one of the best, and Catfish has an incredible following as well. Never tried Rogue.

TripleJ

WKR
Just got a set of Threadz brand strings put on my bow yesterday. No experience with them before this, but they have great reviews and the set I got from them is really well made.

I have the same bow and Mike at catfish customs has taken care if me on my last 2 sets I can't complain and have recommended them to a bunch of buddies. It helps he's pretty close to me as well I'd rather support a local guy

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
I have the same bow and Mike has taken care if me on my last 2 sets I can't complain and have recommended them to a bunch of buddies. It helps he's pretty close to me as well I'd rather support a local guy

Mike's Bowstrings?

This is my first year getting custom strings to bring life back to my bows. I went with Catfish for a pair of Darton 3800s. Probably 200 shots on them at this point and they seem great. At this point I'd go back to them.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Catfish. On my fourth or fifth set now. Just ordered a set a couple of weeks ago, had it 5 days later.

I’ve been really Pleased with catfish customs. Been running the vec99 material. It’s slick! Don’t need to wax it. He makes some great strings

I have threadz on all my bowtechs. Which have very tight turns in the cables. They have stayed together for 2 years of target archery. Thousands of arrows and no separation or movement after settling in.

I figured if the guy did a good job at building strings, the group would benefit from knowing who it was that you were recommending.
Haha good catch I thought I had the rest of it typed just left out the important stuff