New bow recommendations please!

Hey y’all,

Trying to consolidate my list for a new (or new to me used) bow and having decision paralysis. I have been running a PSE bow madness in 60# @28.5” since 2009 and have loved it, especially how smooth the draw is being a single cam. Have not shot basically anything different since buying the PSE and with a 3 year old plus one on the way, my time is very limited to go trying a bunch at shops. So trying to narrow down options before hunting down places to try them.

Will be used almost exclusively stand hunting whitetail in NE PA, with some turkey and black bear if the opportunity presents itself. So, my main priorities are smooth draw, quiet, and want it absolutely dead in hands. Prefer longer ATA but open to anything from 30” to 36”. Under $1000 and anything from around 2021 to new. Speed is pretty low on my list, as long as it’s at least as fast as my PSE BM.

My list as of now:
1. Bowtech SS34 (my top choice), and reckoning 36
2. PSE any of the non carbon longer ATA flagships with the Evolve/EC2 cams (or Mach 1 for the right price)
3. Hoyt any of the non carbon longer ATA flagships (or RX7 if I could find one for the right price)
4. Mathews Vertix to V3x.

Any on that list that should avoided? Is there really a significant difference between say the PSE EVO and Fortis, or Hoyt RXs?

I (and my wife who is tired of hearing about this) appreciate any input or advice in advance!

Personally I have my preferences in that list, but those are my personal preferences.

I really think a lot of it comes down to what you know, or have access to. Meaning, you need to have a shop you trust, or need to learn the system you have, for most it's easier to have a shop.

I just helped a guy that his local shop had given up and said they couldn't do any more, in 10 or 12 arrows he was mostly set.

Unfortunately, it seems there's lots of not great shops out there. But I can promise you are better off with an entry level bow setup correctly for you than any flag ship out there that isn't.

So from the list you have, I don't think any are bad bows, you should enjoy any of them. What can make or break them are getting parts for any warranty issues and knowing the little aspects of each cam system to speed up the tuning process. Not a bow on that list you can get parts directly as a consumer.

Marble

WKR
I would go shoot each of the bows on your list. That's what has worked in the oast when I have people considering different options.

I've been shooting Hoyt bows since 2017. I really like them, but people have their favorites.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

To me you should choose your top preference….. all of those bows would be great! But if you have a top preference get that bow!

Especially with you buying used I would suggest Archerytalk usually can find killer deals on there for used bows!

J86Warren

FNG
I had my 2018 bowtech realm explode on me yesterday. Bottom limbs gave out at full draw. It was a shock to say the least. I don’t know how common this really is but a quick google search and it seems bowtech has had more issues like this than others. I’ll be steering clear of anything bowtech from here on out. Prime has got my attention as of now. But going to shoot a few and see what feels good. Too bad, I did like the realm for the past 5 years. Good luck with your choice

OP
I
I had my 2018 bowtech realm explode on me yesterday. Bottom limbs gave out at full draw. It was a shock to say the least. I don’t know how common this really is but a quick google search and it seems bowtech has had more issues like this than others. I’ll be steering clear of anything bowtech from here on out. Prime has got my attention as of now. But going to shoot a few and see what feels good. Too bad, I did like the realm for the past 5 years. Good luck with your choice
Yikes! Glad you still have both eyes! And you’re actually not the first person I’ve heard about having a bowtech catastrophically fail on them.. I know it’s anecdotal and all but with other reported issues, it does make me wonder. Thanks for the reply!

RC_

FNG
Lesser known brands and/or less hyped/marketed brands generally have worse resale value so consider that. If you plan to keep for the long haul, you can probably get a 1-year old or even used current year flagship from Elite, Prime, Darton, etc. for what you may pay for an older Hoyt or Mathews.

TheTone

WKR
If you have any big shops nearby now can be a great time to check there current inventory and see what they might be having a sale on in the next few months when 2025 models come out. My closest shop does an amazing job of over ordering and having lots of bows on steep discount later. Me, my wife and a friend have all bought previous year Mathew’s from them the last 3 years for around $800. I think they had around 20 v3x’s still when I bought mine in late 2022