new bow recommendation

Smurph

FNG
I have been shooting the Mathews creed for a long time now, seems like at least six years. Been extremely happy, but can't help but wonder if there are newer even better bows out there now. I would definitely consider a one or two year old model that would save me some money over the price of a new bow. I'm not to proud to buy a hand me down. Thanks Tim

mwebs

WKR
I shoot a Z7 still and will be upgrading after this season. My buddy bought a Vertix last year and another buddy bought the VXR this year. Those bows are insane and a significant upgrade from the Creed. Have shot the new hoyts and everything else, in my opinion nothing is as dead in hand and quite as the Vertix and VXR by a big margin. Thought the PSE shot better than the Hoyt honestly and no I’m not looking to argue with Hoyt fan boys haha.

KHNC

WKR
Give the Revolt X Bowtech a try if you have a shop that is a dealer. You will love the grip. Its a very good option for a smooth shooting hunting bow. Good luck.

BFR

WKR
Since all the top manufacturers have great products you need to hit the archery shops to try them, then go with the one that feels/fits best to you. I currently shoot a Bowtech Allegiance that’s about 10 yrs old and still shoots better than I do.

OP
S

Smurph

FNG
I hear you on shooting them at the proshop plenty of those where I live. Was just looking for some opinions before getting the sales pitch from the shop guys. Also, I was thinking a used one would be nice to keep costs down a little.

You should make sure to shoot bows in the shop’s now before the new ones come out. Make a note of the ones you like and you should be able to find good deals after the new bows are out and people are upgrading.

My thoughts are that you won’t find a nicer drawing bow than a Bowtech right now. They aren’t stiff and in comfort mode they are just downright smooth. (I just bought a new Realm SS for a crazy good deal and I liked the SS and the SR6 more than the revolts)

Mathews and prime are very similar in draw cycle and I liked prime a bit more. They just shoot better for me although they aren’t as quite and have a little more hand shock.

Hoyt is Hoyt. I think this years bows are better than what they put out last year. The Axius Ultra draws nice and holds well. If you like the grip and draw on hoyts of the past then you would like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have been shooting the Mathews creed for a long time now, seems like at least six years. Been extremely happy, but can't help but wonder if there are newer even better bows out there now. I would definitely consider a one or two year old model that would save me some money over the price of a new bow. I'm not to proud to buy a hand me down. Thanks Tim

I shot an LX up until this year. I really wanted to stick with the solocam system so I was looking hard into getting a z7 or z3 (I think z3 is the newest version of z7). I ended up just getting a vxr 28. It's pretty awesome, but I'm thinking I might wish I would have went with the 31.5 . It's possible I'm just not in as good of shooting shape this year as last, but I can't hold it as steady. I think it's just me. I've been slacking at shooting enough

406unltd

WKR
The one that feels the best when you shoot it is the one you should get. If it’s comfortable with a repeatable grip that’s the ticket.

The one that feels the best when you shoot it is the one you should get. If it’s comfortable with a repeatable grip that’s the ticket.

I hear the grip part. I'm really missing the grip on my LX. I may need to put it on the vxr

Shoot all that interest you but when I last went to the shop I shot the traverse, whatever the new hoyt was at the time, and the bowtech reckoning. I thought my current bowtech reign 7 felt better than the Matthews and hoyt. Reckoning felt a little better than my reign but not enough to justify the coin. Lately bowtechs are winning over my favor

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SigAsr45

FNG
I used to shoot the Mathews HTR no cam, aside from it not being a fast bow it was a great shooter. One thing I really liked about Mathews was the ability to change the grip out. I got a custom Torqueless grip which basically slips right on and it feels good the wood looks great, very custom feel. As far as Mathews goes every time I go to the range and see somebody shoot a VXR I'm blown away how quiet it is. Additionally, a lot of shops support Mathews, something I don't think a lot of people think about.

Currently, I shoot a Prime CT5. It's a big bow but I really like it, dual cam is solid. I think the new Black series from them is pretty cool. With the tech in the cam you can change draw length and let-off without a press which I think is neat. Finally, you get new strings from them every couple of years.

kcm2

WKR
Several here gave you the perfect advice. Go to a bowshop, shoot a bunch and one of the bows will pick you. Think Dr. Strange and the cloak of levitation. It sounds funny but it will happen . And that's a great way to spend an afternoon. Enjoy.

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
Try the bowtech revolt. Its the smoothest bow I have shot since the mathews solo cams.

4rcgoat

WKR
I shot an LX up until this year. I really wanted to stick with the solocam system so I was looking hard into getting a z7 or z3 (I think z3 is the newest version of z7). I ended up just getting a vxr 28. It's pretty awesome, but I'm thinking I might wish I would have went with the 31.5 . It's possible I'm just not in as good of shooting shape this year as last, but I can't hold it as steady. I think it's just me. I've been slacking at shooting enough
Just hung up my old lx this year also. Still a great bow,went with a pre owned halon 32. Totally worth it.

SoDaky

WKR
I currently have an RX4,Reckoning and VXR.
No doubt I will be hunting with the VXR.It wins every category that matters to me.

i bought the new vxr this year and have been absolutely in love with it. If you were looking for a year old model and you weren’t in any hurry for a new bow this year, I’d wait until next year and the new bows come out and snag them! If you have any questions or would like to see my set up let me know!