New bear hunter season dates questions

I plan on doing a spot and stalk bear hunt next season. I had initially planned on falling bear in New Mexico. The company I work for brought back employee appreciation day this year and changed everyone in the company to the same shift for this week and it got me thinking I should just plan a trip for next year around this time of year to avoid that bs again.

So I'm hoping to do a bear rifle hunt sometime the last 10 days of September 2025. New Mexico is archery only this time of year from the looks of it. So my question is what state should I look at where I could rifle hunt bears the last 10 days of September, or does it even exist. From the little bit I've looked so far it seems maybe Utah is an option.

OP
jadams0509
Thanks! Seems like Pacific NW is where it's at. I was looking at Idaho also. Maybe Montana. Id really like to get somewhere that grizzlies won't be an issue. Are there any in Washington or Oregon?

Thanks! Seems like Pacific NW is where it's at. I was looking at Idaho also. Maybe Montana. Id really like to get somewhere that grizzlies won't be an issue. Are there any in Washington or Oregon?
No griz in OR. WA has some in the far NE corner drift in and out from the Selkirks occasionally. WDFW makes you take an identification test for the units where it's possible to encounter one.

If you decide on WA feel free to PM me once you've done some research / e-scouting. Happy to answer some questions, point you in the right direction.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
There are some in the NE corner of WA and there is discussion about relocating more into the North Cascades. Overall still rare, very low odds of encountering one in WA. Not sure about Oregon but I've never heard of any there.

JohnnyB

WKR
California has the great bear hunting and the season lasts until the end of December (or until the quota is met which never happens). Last estimate from the State puts our bear population at up to 90k which is awesome unless you are a deer.

OP
jadams0509
California has the great bear hunting and the season lasts until the end of December (or until the quota is met which never happens). Last estimate from the State puts our bear population at up to 90k which is awesome unless you are a deer.
Man Idk about going into California with the gun laws it's like going into another country. At least from what I've heard I've never actually been there.

amassi

WKR
Man Idk about going into California with the gun laws it's like going into another country. At least from what I've heard I've never actually been there.

California doesn’t allow suppressors or lead ammunition. End of list as it pertains to hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jadams0509
California doesn’t allow suppressors or lead ammunition. End of list as it pertains to hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's just for residents or maybe I'm wrong but I didn't think you were allowed to bring ammo from outside California in to California

Note, you can get 2 bear tags in Oregon.
Same with WA.

.223 min caliber in OR, 6mm min caliber in WA. OR requires inspection of the skull at an ODFW office in person, WA just mailed submission of a tooth.

WA Non-Res bear only license/tag price: $222.50
WA Non-Res second bear only license/tag price: $222.50

OR Non-Res hunting license + bear tag: $172 + $16.50 = $188.50
OR Non-Res second bear tag: $16.50

Oregon is probably the way to go price wise.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Same with WA.

.223 min caliber in OR, 6mm min caliber in WA. OR requires inspection of the skull at an ODFW office in person, WA just mailed submission of a tooth.

WA Non-Res bear only license/tag price: $222.50
WA Non-Res second bear only license/tag price: $222.50

OR Non-Res hunting license + bear tag: $172 + $16.50 = $188.50
OR Non-Res second bear tag: $16.50

Oregon is probably the way to go price wise.
probably.... but having to check in the skull seems like it would be a pain.

Note: in any state might as well get a cougar tag. $16.50 in Oregon. They will come in to the same predator calls as bear.