New arrow build…VAP vs VAP SS

Hey guys,

I’m looking to build some new arrows in the off season and looking for some beta. 30.5” draw, 65# working to 70# by the season. Planning to use 125gr fixed with with a 75gr insert/collar. I like victory’s 250 spine VAP and VAP SS arrows, but wondering if I need the SS and extra GPI. 250 spine VAP arrow build would be 517gr @ 15.4 FOC and the 250 spine VAP SS for be 547gr @ 14.4 FOC.

Do I need the heavier arrows and extra FOC for a 125gr fixed?

Thanks Guys!

HbDane

WKR
Not sure if you need it. But I really like the VAP SS arrows. Vap TKO ar eno slouch either. I have both and honestly switch off between the 2 and just put a different head on mine to compensate for the slight weight difference. If I had to choose I'd go SS

Bump79

WKR
You won't notice a difference in 1% FOC. Or 30 grains of weight.

I personally found the VAP TKO to be a little less durable than other arrows. GT Peirce was fragile in my experience too. Not sure about the VAP (I'd assume a little less durable) or the VAP SS.

My advice is to use a 250 spine X-Impact or Element Storm. They are made with a high modulus carbon which is lighter but super durable in my experience shooting them the last 2 years. Top off with the 75 gr outsert and 125 head you'll be deadly. As much energy as you're putting out penetration will be the least of you're concern. Durability should be #1.

So if you're options are just the VAP or SS I'd go SS.

OP
Tsmatherhorn
Not sure if you need it. But I really like the VAP SS arrows. Vap TKO ar eno slouch either. I have both and honestly switch off between the 2 and just put a different head on mine to compensate for the slight weight difference. If I had to choose I'd go SS
VAP TKO doesn’t come in a 250 spine. I feel like 300 might be cutting it close with my draw and FOC choices. Your thoughts?
You won't notice a difference in 1% FOC. Or 30 grains of weight.

I personally found the VAP TKO to be a little less durable than other arrows. GT Peirce was fragile in my experience too. Not sure about the VAP (I'd assume a little less durable) or the VAP SS.

My advice is to use a 250 spine X-Impact or Element Storm. They are made with a high modulus carbon which is lighter but super durable in my experience shooting them the last 2 years. Top off with the 75 gr outsert and 125 head you'll be deadly. As much energy as you're putting out penetration will be the least of you're concern. Durability should be #1.

So if you're options are just the VAP or SS I'd go SS.
Great beta! I’ll definitely look into the x-impact and Storm. My local shop talked me into some 250 spine rampages when I got my new V3X set up and I’ve been practicing with those the past couple months. Like them so far, but was looking for another bare shaft to experiment builds with in the off season. ABT! Thanks again!

I’m cut Do you the Shok TL outsert and if so did you cut you your arrows standard length ctc not including the insert?

HbDane

WKR
I’m cut Do you the Shok TL outsert and if so did you cut you your arrows standard length ctc not including the insert?
I use the Easton 4mm titanium outserts and make sure my arrows are 28" nock throat to end of outsert

I love the VAP TKO. I shoot 28.5 DL 300 spine. The penetration on the arrows is wild.

I shot the SS last year at 565 grains. Blew through everything it hit. However I did misjudge yardage by a couple yards and shot just under a really nice buck. My build this year is 490. I still expect to blow through everything and hopefully get a little more forgiveness or misjudged yardage.