New Arctic Oven: the Nunatak Apex

sneaky

"DADDY"
Pretty lacking on specs. Doesn't say how tall it is, or define what "standing height" they're referencing. Pick a stove, floor, liner, carbon pole and it's $3k pretty quick

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

elkguy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking pretty hard. Like me sneaky said, you’re North of 3k when you add everything up. Is it worth it?

OP
dutch_henry

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking pretty hard. Like me sneaky said, you’re North of 3k when you add everything up. Is it worth it?
@sneaky, yeah, would love to see more specs. Insofar as price goes, it depends on your point of comparison. A comparable SO 8p hot tent combo (door screens, carbon pole, full liner, ti stove, no floor) will run you $2200. A SO 12p combo with full liner comes out at $2400 (no carbon pole available). A similarly spec'ed AO (vapex liner, ti stove, carbon pole, no floor) would cost $2740. Or ~$2600 with the alum pole. Is it worth the $200-$550 premium over the SO? Maybe. But yeah, like you say, add in another 115-350 if you want a factory floor.

Their vapex is just the bees knees and I really like the idea of more usable interior volume vs my Redcliff. I imagine it's also a touch easier to get a good pitch on the AO, considering the square footprint and silpoly fabric. Maybe I'll sell my 6p dome and my redcliff to offset the cost. Just maybe. But if I do I'm keeping my stove!

Would like to hear a review if anyone has bought one. Strongly considering it, but want to be sure it’s worth it. Kids love camping and I would like to try taking them out this winter

Just an FYI to everyone, I had ordered a nunatak apex and they called to notify me that they had none available. I inquired why, they said they were working on modifications (sod skirt, some others). They will sell some that are in the stockpile that have blemishes for a little cheaper. I chose to wait out

FYI, here's their new website/address.

Elkangle

WKR
I've been using an old version for many years and love it, I've been in contact with AO a few times over this "new version" and should get a call when it's available

I will most likely put my old version up for sale if anyone is interested

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to hear some thoughts as well. I've got an SO 8man, but the sloped walls and round footprint eliminates so much usable space, the silnylon sags a lot in rain or snow and absorbs a ton of moisture, the liners eat up even more space if you hang them loose enough to be useful, and if you tighten them up, stick to the condensation on the fly and are useless.

Steeper walls, more headspace, easier setup, silpoly, and a better liner is really tempting.

Can’t find much on this particular tent regarding reviews. Tempted to add it to my arsenal. I see they posted a video 6 months ago, but when I called to place an order, they stated they’re already coming out with a new version in 2 months. Seems odd they’re already coming out with a new version.

Last edited:
Just an FYI to everyone, I had ordered a nunatak apex and they called to notify me that they had none available. I inquired why, they said they were working on modifications (sod skirt, some others). They will sell some that are in the stockpile that have blemishes for a little cheaper. I chose to wait out
Did you end up getting the updated version?