New 300wsm - Christensen/Fierce/Tikka decision

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I'm leaning towards the Fierce or the Tikka at this point, which is kind of funny since the Ridgeline was at the top of my list for the past couple weeks.

Fierce seems to be the turn-key option while Tikka will need some tweaks (brake, possible stock)

I'm going to hold off until the Great American Sport Show next week where i can handle all three of them at pretty much the same time.
I bet you buy a fierce.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
Crotalus

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
I bet you buy a fierce.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I bet I wouldn't bet against you.

I'm not a gunsmith or tinkerer and i don't buy new guns often. I want to buy a gun and not have to think about it for another 10 years, at least.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I've reloaded for a friend who has the Tikka in 300 wsm. The loads I made using barnes tsx in 165 and RL 17 powder shoot lights out.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
300 WSM Ridgeline

I own a 300WSM CA Ridgeline. I have had some issues... CA stood behind the rifle 100% and I ended up harvesting a nice bull this year with it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm sub .5 moa with Nosler 180gr Accubonds out to 500 yards.

WestNE

WKR
I've spent some with a fierce fury and edge, neither in WSM but I think you'd have a very rough time doing better for the money. Very consistent lockup on the lugs, short bolt throw ensures you can run whatever scope you want, accuracy has been phenomenal, though the same could be said for the other guns your looking at. To me, the fierce, especially the edge just feels like a higher quality gun than the other two. Especially when it comes to the action and stock.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Crotalus

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
I've spent some with a fierce fury and edge, neither in WSM but I think you'd have a very rough time doing better for the money. Very consistent lockup on the lugs, short bolt throw ensures you can run whatever scope you want, accuracy has been phenomenal, though the same could be said for the other guns your looking at. To me, the fierce, especially the edge just feels like a higher quality gun than the other two. Especially when it comes to the action and stock.

Fierce Edge all the way.

Thanks for the input. The Edge is just a tad out of my price range. I'm curious if there are any real differences between the base Edge and Fury. According to the website it is only the barrel/bolt fluting and the bolt coating. Doesnt seem to be $600 worth of difference to me.

I'm going to be able to handle the Fury for the first time tomorrow. After shooting Mausers, Springfields and an older Remington for most of my life a lot of the newer actions feel "flimsy". If i had the disposable cash laying around i might be looking seriously into the Mausingfields.

WestNE

WKR
Thanks for the input. The Edge is just a tad out of my price range. I'm curious if there are any real differences between the base Edge and Fury. According to the website it is only the barrel/bolt fluting and the bolt coating. Doesnt seem to be $600 worth of difference to me.

I'm going to be able to handle the Fury for the first time tomorrow. After shooting Mausers, Springfields and an older Remington for most of my life a lot of the newer actions feel "flimsy". If i had the disposable cash laying around i might be looking seriously into the Mausingfields.
Nothing at all wrong with the Fury. Same stock as the Edge with the cosmetic upgrades. The fluting is nice but doesn't cut much weight and the DLC coating on the bolt slicks it up but so will use.

You wouldn't be disappointed at all with the Fury.

OP
Crotalus

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing at all wrong with the Fury. Same stock as the Edge with the cosmetic upgrades. The fluting is nice but doesn't cut much weight and the DLC coating on the bolt slicks it up but so will use.

You wouldn't be disappointed at all with the Fury.

Got to handle the Fury today, it's a nice rifle. I have to say it is probably in the lead this point. Christensen gets a last chance on Thursday.

frankrb3

WKR
Honestly I have a Tikka in 300 WSM with a Limbsaver recoil pad and I don't think the recoil is bad at all. I love that gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also hunt with a tikka t3 lite in 300WSM. I must be a sally because I find the recoil to be very sharp and somewhat punishing when sighting in, but when shooting at animals I don't even notice it. Really a great gun to hike around with and it puts them down. Been meaning to add the limb saver recoil pad to take the edge off the recoil and I have considered getting it threaded for a terminator muzzle brake. Not sure I care that much, like I said, when it matters I don't even notice.

300wsms tend to run out of mag room with high bc bullets relatively quick. If you are using handloads with higher Bc bullets I'd look into mag length. The tikka short action mags are pretty limited if I'm not mistaken. If you plan to shoot something like 180 accubonds it's a non issue.

My xbolt 300wsm shoots as well as my full custom I have costing 4x as much.

16Bore

WKR
So I'll be the dick and say that what you get between the two is about 100 yards more ass. Meaning that whatever your 30-06 is doing at X yards, the 300 WSM is doing at X + 100, or something around there. Question is, have you ever been in a situation where you passed on a shot because you felt under-gunned for the distance?

Look at what bullet you wanna shoot, what target, what distance, and your shooting ability and you might surprise yourself.

I've been twisting turrets for a while and it's only been needed when showing off at the range. Not for shooting steaks.

Take a hard look at what you actually do vs. what you think you might do and it'll sort itself out.

Boots will do more favors than FPE.

But I also get the desire for another rig. Just saying.....

GKPrice

Banned
I also hunt with a tikka t3 lite in 300WSM. I must be a sally because I find the recoil to be very sharp and somewhat punishing when sighting in, but when shooting at animals I don't even notice it. Really a great gun to hike around with and it puts them down. Been meaning to add the limb saver recoil pad to take the edge off the recoil and I have considered getting it threaded for a terminator muzzle brake. Not sure I care that much, like I said, when it matters I don't even notice.

It's really not very fair to openly "judge" the recoil of the T3 if you haven't made the "$35 unscrew then screw on upgrade" - It's simple, inexpensive and completely changes the nature of shooting one

GKPrice

Banned
So I'll be the dick and say that what you get between the two is about 100 yards more ass. Meaning that whatever your 30-06 is doing at X yards, the 300 WSM is doing at X + 100, or something around there. Question is, have you ever been in a situation where you passed on a shot because you felt under-gunned for the distance?

Look at what bullet you wanna shoot, what target, what distance, and your shooting ability and you might surprise yourself.

I've been twisting turrets for a while and it's only been needed when showing off at the range. Not for shooting steaks.

Take a hard look at what you actually do vs. what you think you might do and it'll sort itself out.

I'd agree 100% with that ^^^^^

OP
Crotalus

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider

I don't take it as "dicky". It's more the gun than the caliber. The .06 is getting some years and sentimentality to it. It's a great looking gun with a very nice laminated stock on it. It's also pretty heavy. I want to start western and backcountry hunting and don't want to lug it around. The new gun is intended to be more of a workhorse. I thought this would be a good time to try a new caliber that I've been considering for a while.

So yeah, do I need a new gun? Eh probably not, but I want one ;)