Never Forget…🇺🇸

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking about the second wave on D-day. Looking down from the ship into the beat and shot up landing craft waiting for dead and dieing to be unloaded so they could climb down the nets and get shuttled to shore. No doubt left as to what horrific events lay in front of them when the landing ramp lowered.

Powerful conviction those men had, could/would I have done the same?

Greatest generation without a doubt.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
https://www.amazon.com/Into-Flight-Once-More-Sinise/dp/B0B1H4KJDQ

This was the best $2.99 I’ve spent in a long, long time. Chronicles the fleet of C-47s that flew over for the 75th anniversary. Great historical footage and interviews with the men who were there. My daughter saw the squadron fly up the Hudson River a couple weeks ago at the start of their journey for the 80th anniversary.

IMG_0937.jpeg

BluMtn

WKR
We will never know what that generation endured to bring freedom to Europe and safeguard the freedom that we enjoy. We have watched the movies, the TV documentaries, and even listen to the stories from the mouths of that generation. But we will never fully understand the commitment they made to the U.S.A. I fear that given the same circumstances today that were present in 1941 I do not believe our country would react the same and we would be at the mercy of some foreign country now.

Wolverine

Lil-Rokslider
Salute to the heroes.

Omaha Beach is one of those historical events that I don't think any movie or book will ever fully describe.
My grandpa was part of the first wave. He was able to take out a pillbox and shortly after, he was bayoneted as they advanced. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions. He never talked about any of it. All that were there were heroes.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from St Mere Église yesterday. I didn’t get to jump this year, instead I had the privilege to be chosen as one of 40 US jump masters to be on a JM team. This will likely be the last year we will have the honor to shake the hands of a WW2 Vet in Normandy.

CorbLand

WKR
Kind of a cool story.

My wifes great grandpa was one of the last to get into a higgins for the first wave of landings, they shut the gate before he was in all the way, crushed his hip and a guy reached over the side and pulled him out. My wifes brother was serving a mission for his church and met a dude. Somehow they started talking about WW2 and my brother in law told that story. It was the dudes dad that pulled him out of the higgins.

Brave dudes that we will never ever be able to repay.