Nevada silver state mule deer tag

A guy on Hunttalk has the NR Silver State Desert Bighorn tag. He's already talked to guides.

It comes down to what you want out of the tag. Giant deer? Hire a guide or be prepared to scout and hunt for weeks upon weeks.

A guy on Hunttalk has the NR Silver State Desert Bighorn tag. He's already talked to guides.

It comes down to what you want out of the tag. Giant deer? Hire a guide or be prepared to scout and hunt for weeks upon weeks.
Lucky me flights are cheap enough that i think ill be able to squeeze in a few trips in july. Wish i could afford a guide but its simply not in the cards. Thats awesome he got the sheep tag.

You drew my tag!!

I’ve dreamed about how I would approach a tag like this. Since you are already deciding not to go guided..
-pick a unit that you might be able to scout up a deer of your standards..get some summer scouting in and try to kill with archery or muzzy.
-then pick a unit with a late rifle/rut/migration type hunt where you can have an awesome time and hopefully find a nice deer that is not being sat on and hunted by guides.

You drew my tag!!

I’ve dreamed about how I would approach a tag like this. Since you are already deciding not to go guided..
-pick a unit that you might be able to scout up a deer of your standards..get some summer scouting in and try to kill with archery or muzzy.
-then pick a unit with a late rifle/rut/migration type hunt where you can have an awesome time and hopefully find a nice deer that is not being sat on and hunted by guides.
Im sorry, hopefully next year it'll be yours. I think ill be able to squeeze in a couple 2-3 flights out there before my tag opens on aug 1st. Spend 10 days hunting whatever buck i find during scouting. If i cant get him killed ill return during the rut or when weather flies. Hopefully i can find something next level.

I’d reach out to outfitters anyways, a lot of them just want pictures for marketing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d reach out to outfitters anyways, a lot of them just want pictures for marketing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're not the first to tell me this so I guess theres gotta be some truth to it.

You're not the first to tell me this so I guess theres gotta be some truth to it.

OP, congrats on that tag, that's pretty awesome.

Something to consider is that there are a lot of Nevada guys who haven't been drawn in a few years, who may very well be interested in scouting and/or hunting with you when you come out here, even though they don't have tags. Once you decide where you want to hunt, consider posting up in this section to see if anyone would want to hunt something up with you. You never know. Tags are so rare in most of the state that we often do this with friends and family when they get drawn.

As someone above mentioned, joining Epic Outdoors is a great idea. It also comes with a special feature where other members who have hunted your unit in the past will make themselves available to talk with you about the unit. Just make sure you do your homework about that area before reaching out to any of them.

What would you say your level of experience is in hunting muleys? Where are you flying in from?

Im actually quite surprised how many residents have already offered to help. Ive hunted mule deer for about 20 years but havent been all that serious about it till the last 5 years. Ive tried to have 3 tags in my pocket the last 5 or so years but with that being said ive never hunted a tag of this caliber. All my experience is with Otc tags in wa, mt and idaho. Ive been stacking points in places like utah, colorado, nevada, and wyoming. I never expected to hold a tag like this. Id be flying in from Washington.

OP, congrats on that tag, that's pretty awesome.

Something to consider is that there are a lot of Nevada guys who haven't been drawn in a few years, who may very well be interested in scouting and/or hunting with you when you come out here, even though they don't have tags. Once you decide where you want to hunt, consider posting up in this section to see if anyone would want to hunt something up with you. You never know. Tags are so rare in most of the state that we often do this with friends and family when they get drawn.

As someone above mentioned, joining Epic Outdoors is a great idea. It also comes with a special feature where other members who have hunted your unit in the past will make themselves available to talk with you about the unit. Just make sure you do your homework about that area before reaching out to any of them.

What would you say your level of experience is in hunting muleys? Where are you flying in from?
Great idea. I would offer to help if I wasn't having a baby in nine days. If we get some summer moisture the antler growth will be awesome!

Back