Nevada Mule Deer Hunt 2013

2rocky

WKR
Atta Way Boys! Hope to see a couple more Grip n' grins before it's time for Picons at the Star!

Scoot

WKR
Great work fells- congrats! Keep the updates comin' and get out there and deflate a couple more!!! Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to share with us rubes who are back at home and at work.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I left off in the middle of day 5. That evening was much of the same, with the exception that Brent and Ed saw 6 decent bucks get chased out of their beds by a mountain lion. That is always something worth seeing.

Day 6 was spent back int he big basin holding most of the bucks. We were glassing well over 20 bucks and put a couple good ones to bed.

Brent decided he was going to go after a very good 3x3 that was about 26"-27" wide. After a couple of hour stalk, a deer we hadn't seen caught a glimpse of Brent's shadow on a rock and took the group with him as he moved out.

Ed and I had another buck Brent wanted to stalk still in its bed. It was a heavy, but narrower 4x5 we had seen several times. Brent made another incredible stalk to about 55 yards when once again another buck picked up some movement and took the bucks out of the area.

Both stalks were excellent and put him right on top of these bucks and within bow range, but having to stalk a buck with several buddies is always difficult.

We also saw three bowhunters walking up the middle of the basin towards the top with the wind in their backs. I don't know how they were going to hunt the basin that way, but they worked their way up far enough to push us out of it as we didn't believe the big deer would be back with the two stalks not working out and the three guys sitting in the middle up high at this point. Say day 6 came to a close.....

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 7 had us glassing two other areas. We split up and Ed went into one and Brent and I to another. By 8am, we had all gathered up at the basin Brent and I had been glassing as there was a big mature buck we had bedded down. It was about a 27" 2 x 3, and pretty heavy.

At about 1pm, Ed went on a stalk for this buck. Pretty difficult stalk due to the steepness and loose rock all around this buck along with the other 5 bucks he was with. Ed crept right into their house and only had to wait about 20 minutes and the big buck got up to feed. It didn't go as well as hoped as Ed missed a shot straight down the hill at hem around 40 - 45 yards.

Brent and I watched as this happened and the bucks had no idea of what happened and just got up and fed away. Mistake was they fed towards us. They started at about a 1000 yards away, but fed close enough for Brent to go after them. This group fed directly below me about 600 yards, bedded down and Brent was on his way. Brent got within 25 yards of them and needed them to stand up. At about 5pm or so, they did. The buck hadn't been standing for more than 5 seconds when Ed saw the arrow take him off his feet and into the dirt. Brent was pretty pumped up and Ed and I headed down the hill to him.

Brent's buck was pretty big and his antlers were as described. We were only about 1.25 miles from our bivy camp, but had about 1500 vertical feet to go to get there over loose rock. With three of us packing it out, it wasn't that bad. We had a late night after getting the deer taken care of and eating, but the tent felt pretty good.

Attachments

• 1150129_10200409192172121_65625023_n.jpg
    1150129_10200409192172121_65625023_n.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 238

KHNC

WKR
Damn, thats amazing to me that yall see that many hunters so far in! Add that to the fact its hard to draw tags in NV, im even more amazed! Good luck to your buddies and congrats on your buck!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even with a late night, Day 8 had us glassing a basin we had glassed before. We didn't turn up any shooters for Ed, many of the same bucks and a lonesome billie goat, but that was it.

We headed back to our bivy camp, packed up and trekked back to our base camp. We had spent 9 nights in the wilderness and had yet to stay in base camp.

Once in base camp and with an unlimited supply of water, it was time to clean up a little. That creek was cold, but sure felt good. We ate some real food that Brent and Ed had brought and that was even better. We glassed a little that night trying to find Ed a buck worthy, but turned up nothing in that category.

We were headed out tomorrow morning, so our hunt had come to an end. Sort of. Ed and Brent polished off a entire bottle of Crown Black and we were up telling lies until about 1am. They were both pretty drunk by the time the fire burned out.

Morning came, packed up and had about a two and half hour horse ride out. Once out, it was a long drive home for all us.

Overall it was a great trip with two of three tags filled. Easily could have filled all our tags with the amount of deer we had seen, but the quality was just not there. This area is getting hammered by hunters and this is leading to smaller and smaller deer every year. I am probably not going back next year and will be looking for other alternatives.

Thanks for all the comments as it is a pleasure to share with fellow Roksliders....Doug.