Nemo or Big Agnes for Sleeping System?

For a mid-line sleeping system, which company would you choose?

• Nemo

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Big Agnes

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at sleeping systems. Specifically looking for something in the $400 range that will go down to 20 degrees F. I’m equally impressed with both companies but have next to no real world experience with either of them. I’m 6’, 240 lbs and have arthritis. I will match this up with the best insulated pad I can find. Appreciate your input.

svivian

WKR
Both. Nemo tensor pad with a BA park series sleeping bag. You won’t go wrong with either brand but I prefer the park series sleeping bags for their size. I am 6’3” and 245lbs. They can be opened up like a quilt when it’s hot and closed up tight when it’s cold. Best part is you can slide a 25” wide pad in the sleeve in the back so you don’t slide off your pad at night. The tensor pad is very warm and fits perfectly with the big Agnes park series bags. They are a good value compared to other brands and models. Also agree that most sleeping bags are rated for survival not comfort so get a colder bag than you need or plan to bring a puffy jacket and pants as a supplement.

Last edited:

erfle

FNG
I run the BA Buell and Nemo Tensor. It’s a good early fall combination, but as others have said the temp rating doesn’t hold. I add a liner to extend comfort with colder temps.

Define “sleep system “. Are you looking at just a bag or everything? Tent, pad and bag? Is there a reason to just go with one?

OP
tcpip95

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Define “sleep system “. Are you looking at just a bag or everything? Tent, pad and bag? Is there a reason to just go with one?
Good question. I’m looking for a sleeping bag, but also a liner and a pad. I don’t know if it’s best to go with bag, liner, and pad all from the same manufacturer, or if one company excels in a specific product while another company is better at a different component.

Tent will be separate from the other parts.

I would look at individual pieces. I think your set up would end up much better. For example a sea to summit reactor liner, marmot never summer and Nemo tensor pad is a solid system. I personally don’t like BA pads and there are better bags than Nemo and BA. Outdoor Vitals maybe a good bag option too.

Big Agnes bag for sure, I like the thermarest neoair xtherm max for a pad. Super light, 6.9 R value, packs super small. The big Agnes system with the sleeve in place of insulation on the bottom is the best design I’ve ever used. I’d also look into a vapor barrier liner to keep your bag dry. You’d be amazed as how much moisture your body gives off when sleeping and how much collects in the insulation of your bag.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Is $400 for the entire sleep system or solely the sleeping bag? If the latter then why limit yourself to those two brands?

OP
tcpip95

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
$400 is my budget for the sleeping bag. Budget for the pad is around $225.

I know there are a lot of bags out there, but I've narrowed my search down to these two (and in reality down to the BA now).