Need to size virgin PREMIUM brass?

sndmn11

WKR
I just got some Alpha brass for 6.5creed and 7-08, as well as Lapua for 30-06.

How many folks just load them up and shoot?

I have some free time this weekend and would like to clear load development for these off my plate. 15% of me is considering not sizing them to save a big chunk of my tomorrow.

jimh406

WKR
I size and trim to length. That being said, I don't find that many that are different, but I don't have any reason to be in a hurry for my hunting ammo.

Ram94

WKR
Not sure if necessary but I run Lapua through a Lee collet die just to set neck tension exactly where I want it and uniform the necks. Doesn’t take long.

my alpha 6.5 creed necks were a smidge tight, I ran the through the sizing die to open them up, but had it adjusted to only open the case necks up, didn't touch anything else, and I don't think I even used lube. I'm loading on a progressive press, so having another die in has zero additional time cost.

Alpha necks run a little tight brand new. Lapua comes in a bulk box so I tend to get dinged necks. I always run Lapua through a sizer just to uniform the necks and get the dents out. I sometimes run Alpha through it although I've gotten to where I do that less and less.

Juan_ID

WKR
With lapua I debur and load. Only time they see a sizer is if the necks are real banged up.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I only uniform case mouths with my sizing die on ALL new brass. I’ve never sized any new brass.

Lawnboi

WKR
My process is as follows, has taken me boxes of fresh Lapua and alpha to figure it out. But I have no issues shooting about anything with virgin brass after. I also seat with an arbor press and this seems to make the most consistent neck tension and stickiness.

One main issue with virgin brass, that’s annealed is the stickiness in the neck. You can have a 2 thou interference fit and have it need to take a bunch of pressure to seat a bullet. Causing inconsistency. You can feel the annealed portion of a Lapua, alpha or Peterson case and it feels almost rough compared to the body.

I solve this by doing the following.

-Mandrel with imperial wax. Mandrel size depends on lot of brass and how tight it is. Graphite lube didn’t work for this, and dosnt work with annealed necks nearly as much as wax.
-Dry tumble for 1.5 hours. This removes most the wax and also smooths out the stickiness to the necks, you can feel the difference once done tumbling.
-Zip through the giraud set to just chamfer and debur.
-Prime and load.

I used to think virgin firing was a sacrificial firing. That’s not the case anymore at all. No issues with low SDs and good groups with virgin brass.

Rob5589

WKR
I'm using Alpha in 7/08. I only deburr the necks and load. Length is spot on and neck tension feels good.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I'm using Alpha in 7/08. I only deburr the necks and load. Length is spot on and neck tension feels good.

We shall see! I was pulling bullets from the five 7-08 loads we had left when I got that email. So, I stuffed those five bullets in the untouched brass and it all seemed to work fine. I ended up with two dozen to fling.

I measured the length of a bunch more and they were all the same.

Ucsdryder

WKR
We shall see! I was pulling bullets from the five 7-08 loads we had left when I got that email. So, I stuffed those five bullets in the untouched brass and it all seemed to work fine. I ended up with two dozen to fling.

I measured the length of a bunch more and they were all the same.
Resize the neck to get proper tension and make sure they’re round. No need to shoulder bump or FL size.

If you back your full length sizer out a couple turns it will open up the neck without touching anything else. That's what I did to mine, results were good.