Need some help choosing a new "puffy" jacket

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm considering the Barneys Super Cub. Anyone have any experience with it?

I have used the supercub jacket for 3 years now. Great jacket and even better if it comes in the tougher digital camo outershell. That said it isn't the lightest primaloft jacket out there by anymeans at 20-23 oz depending on the size and the fit for me being a leaner guy isn't as fitting.

The best fitting primaloft jacket I have worn "for me" was the Kryptek Kratos. Great camo, the stretch features under the arms on the sides of the jacket make it very comfy to wear and move in. But I still prefer my supercub for me as its slightly warmer for me as it should be being as it weighs 25% more than the Kratos. For most though the Kratos will be all you need and more and look better and fit better than the Barney's Supercub.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Anyone questioning which puffy jacket to buy, have you looked at this thread and watched the videos? Why would you go synthetic and add all the extra weight?

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?7976-Super-Down-made-it-s-way-into-the-shower

Reason for me is cause I'm skeptical about how well it will do when soaked after 3 years of hard use....if some of the people that I know run it through the wringer after 3 years its still repelling water like that I'd be pretty interested. Its not a cheap piece I I'll use reg down with twice as much fill for roughly the same weight for my trips where I am not super concerned about water and keep using primaloft for trips when I know its gonna be a wet wet mess every time. :D

If I didn't already own both great down and synthetic puffy layers then I might have jumped in with both feet, but I do so I am content to sit on the side lines a couple years and see how it shakes out. Someone with no puffy layers certainly could look at the new Kuiu "super down" line for a great option. Heck I'm all for as many folks testing it out of the next few years to hear back on the reports.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I question everything ask Aron:) I always question situations where it could cause me to leave the woods early! If I am wet and miserable, I have made some bad choices. I do think the super down is bad ass. But I am still a little skeptical.

Last edited:

BlackBear

FNG
Luke,

Thank you. I guess what you say makes sense if you are wearing your puffy as an outer layer? If you're not and have rain gear, I don't see a puffy ever getting as wet as the one in the shower video. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Super Down jacket is designed as a insulation piece and intended to be worn under something. I have to believe if used properly, it will hold up 3 years and more. I think the guy in the video says he wore the jacket 30 days in the field last year. I think the test and the video are very compelling.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke,

Thank you. I guess what you say makes sense if you are wearing your puffy as an outer layer? If you're not and have rain gear, I don't see a puffy ever getting as wet as the one in the shower video. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Super Down jacket is designed as a insulation piece and intended to be worn under something. I have to believe if used properly, it will hold up 3 years and more. I think the guy in the video says he wore the jacket 30 days in the field last year. I think the test and the video are very compelling.

True it is not supposed to be an outer layer, but I have got my puffy coat wet packrafting before due to sub par dry bags at the time. Also nearly got another wet when I took a stumble crossing a creek on a cold morning that still warranted wearing a puffy layer as I hiked. Stuff happens as try as we might we try to mitigate as best we can. 30 days in the field isn't that much of a long term test IMO....like I said I'm sure its great but I'll use what I have in the interim until a few years of reports come back on how well it works.

idig4au

WKR
I've got the jacket version and agree 100%, it's 7oz's and I don't think it can be beat for price/weight/warmth.

X3 - its a nice piece of kit for sure. I have the pants as well.

I am going to try the Kuiu Superdown on my sheep hunt in BC in August due to the higher chance of wet conditions to see how it works and if any advantage.

I still love my Kuiu spindrift. That said, I picked up the super down jacket (without hood) and should also have the First Lite puffy soon. I will let you know how things shake out. The spindrift is here to stay, the super down is very comfy and warm but a bit loud. Not sure I can where it bowhunting without it driving me crazy.