Need Opinions on the AB Raptor 4.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had time to use an AB Raptor 4 in 5.56 (AB bores them to accept 6mm) with any of the reflexes with a cartridge that has a pretty low powder capacity and a moderate muzzle velocity (2400-2600 fps)? Kind of like a 6.5 Grendel or a 6mm ARC?

I'm building a Howa Mini with a 16.5" Preferred barrel chambered in 6mm arc. I have heard from many users that this little cartridge tends to suppress well. With that said, I am looking at getting a dedicated suppressor for this rifle and would prefer to go as short/light as I can that will still keep it "hearing safe". The purpose of this rifle is to be a compact, lightweight, eastern deer hunting rifle. I have no qualm about getting a Raptor 6 or 8 but with it being a dedicated suppressor, I'm curious to what I can get away with.

eric1115

WKR
No direct experience with the 4, but my kid's 20" Howa mini in 6mm ARC with a raptor 6 is a match made in heaven. Especially with the reflex, but even flush it's great. I've shot it with my raptor 8 as well and it's quieter but not "OMG that's so much better" quieter.

Larger powder capacity rifles benefit greatly from the 8 stack, but that little 6 is wonderful on .223/ARC size cases. I think that the pattern where long action/magnum cartridges are great with 8/10 stack, but suffer with the 6 is extended down the line, the .223/ARC are great with a 6 or 8 but suffer with a 4 (from what I've read about the 4)

If it were me, I wouldn't mess with the 4.

OP
B

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
No direct experience with the 4, but my kid's 20" Howa mini in 6mm ARC with a raptor 6 is a match made in heaven. Especially with the reflex, but even flush it's great. I've shot it with my raptor 8 as well and it's quieter but not "OMG that's so much better" quieter.

Larger powder capacity rifles benefit greatly from the 8 stack, but that little 6 is wonderful on .223/ARC size cases. I think that the pattern where long action/magnum cartridges are great with 8/10 stack, but suffer with the 6 is extended down the line, the .223/ARC are great with a 6 or 8 but suffer with a 4 (from what I've read about the 4)

If it were me, I wouldn't mess with the 4.
Appreciate that. What reflex length did you go with?

jamesmc8

WKR
I have an AB Raptor 8 and 6. I use the Raptor 6 on both a 6 ARC and 6 Creedmoor without a reflex for hunting with no issues and great suppression, especially on the 6 ARC.. For reference an AB Raptor 6 without a reflex is going to be both quieter and lighter than running a Raptor 4 with a reflex. I would recommend getting the AB Raptor 6 with a 3 inch reflex! Get it with the 7.62 baffles and the 6.5mm end cap. Run it without the reflex on .223/6 ARC/6.5 Grendel and still have the flexibility to add the reflex and use it on the 6.5 Creed type cases.

eric1115

WKR
I have a 3" bull and a 3" standard. I think my perceived difference between the two is probably placebo induced. Both improve tone, but don't radically reduce dB as far as I can tell.

z987k

WKR
I have the 6 with a 3" reflex. I've used it both flush and with the reflex on my 270 and 6.5cm. I have ended up just running the reflex on the hunts with a few oz weight penalty. Either way it's fine for a few shots hunting. Like any suppressor, I'd still used ear pro at the range.