Need help with new hunting rifle.

Howzit gang, new poster long time lurker here.

Little about myself I am a new hunter and currently have a 308 cva cascade xt and am looking for something lighter and more handy for hunting axis deer in hawaii.

My thoughts are something in 6.5 cm with a 20in barrel. I want it mainly for the recoil for ease of spotting shots and something my son/wife can use.

I don't want to spend more then $2000

I am currently looking at a tikka t3x compact with a rokstok when available. Springfield waypoint, bergara squared crest.

If possible I would like flush cups and a arca/pic rail.

Appreciate the help.

Wolfshead

FNG
I have a Tikka T3x compact in .308 Win. with a 20” barrel.
I truly love that rifle!
The action is as smooth as silk and it shoots extremely better than I can. It is easy to carry all day stillhunting and is very agile in the thick brush, all the while having the ability to reach out at longer distances.
I shoot handloads of 150 grain Nosler Accubonds but I am currently developing a load using 130 grain Barnes TTSXs.
I’ve shot softball size groups with my handloads at 300 yards.
I would have no problem recommending a Tikka for your purposes.

z987k

WKR
For axis deer, I'd go down to 6mm or 22.

Howa superlight in 243win would get it done. Or even a howa mini action in 6 ARC.
Ruger American gen 2 in 6cm or one of the browning x-bolts in 6cm.

Then there's always the rokslide special. Tikka in 223. For how small axis deer are plus reduction in recoil and suppressors are illegal there, idk if you can go wrong unless you can't hunt with lead.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Any of those listed will get the job done in 6.5 Creed, 7-08 or 308 with the 7 being the slimmer choice regarding ammo. I'd add the 260 Rem in these but the creed has really killed it's appeal making ammo harder to find.

Now if you reload, take your pick. I like a 20-22 inch barrel for a compact rifle in any of those mentioned above. I don't know much about the Springfield other than it carries a good name. The Tikka and Bergara are both great with many aftermarket option's. No wrong move here, while in that budget, don't discredit Savage. They've been making good stuff for a long time with decent aftermarket options.

One more, all mentioned above are more than serviceable right out of the box. I just prefer to buy stuff with options as many of us like to tinker and go down rabbit holes... ;)

JGRaider

WKR
Tikka CTR. Adjust the trigger, leave the factory stock and bottom metal. Stick a suppressor on it. You'll love it.