Need help with a saddle hunting pack

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
As the title states I need help finding a saddle hunting pack. I have been through a few packs and there always seems to be something I don't like about the packs I get. I currently have a Trophyline Sumpter pack and like it but the two main things I dislike about the packs is what makes me want to sell it. They are;
1.) The meat sling is on the outside vs between the bag and frame
2.) There isn't much padding in the shoulder straps and the lumbar support, or lack there of, doesn't help

My size; I'm 6'1" roughly 240lbs with an "average" torso size for my height. What I am looking for in a pack is the following:
- Have a meat-sling between the bag and frame
- Needs to be able to hold around 2200-2500 ( can be up to 3,000) Cubic Inches. Mainly do to carrying insulated layers in on cold days. These are the Sitka Fanatic bibs, Sitka Fanatic Jacket, Zip off base layer and a mid weight top.
- Need to be able to securly strap my platform on the back
- Need to be able to strap my sticks on the bottom of the bag. I like it this way vs on the side of the pack because I use Nalgene bottles for my water source and getting to them is a pain when the sticks are strapped on the side of the pack
- I would like to have multiple pockets for organization (calls, rangefinder, binos, TP, etc)

The Kifaru Hellbender with the Sherman Pocket is what I have been looking at but I really don't know how big the size is. I think it is a 2200 cubic inch pack but looking at it on videos. It looks smaller. I hunt ALOT of public and love to roam so I'm looking for a do all pack for this type of hunting.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have used a Kuiu Icon Pro 2300 all whitetail season thus far, and it has been great, and I think it checks all your boxes. It has a ton of pockets for organization. The suspension is very comfortable, and you can pick the size frame that you want. I picked 24". It's not too tall, and it still handles the weight of a whole whitetail really well. There are straps on the bottom for your sticks. The bag and frame separate really quickly. The only downside I have noticed is the noise of the material. I'm not saying it's super loud, just something I've noticed.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

PatrickW

FNG
I use an EXO. THE K3 3200 would be perfect for you. It fits all your requirements, and bag detaches super easy to give you access to the load shelf. The bag is simple and straightforward.

DWinVA

WKR
I use a Kifaru Stryker XL & am extremely pleased with it for saddle hunting & packing out quartered VA whitetails. I have a Sherman pocket on it & my saddle, platform & stick sandwich between it and the main bag.

God Bless.

Attachments

• 96A338C7-205B-4419-B9CE-34EFFE9FDCF5.jpeg
    96A338C7-205B-4419-B9CE-34EFFE9FDCF5.jpeg
    710 KB · Views: 54
  • EAD28012-AD3C-4FAE-8B36-B894FD9E3BC5.jpeg
    EAD28012-AD3C-4FAE-8B36-B894FD9E3BC5.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 51

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I used a ebrlestock x2 for a few years and liked it but it's short for me at 6-3. I got a kuiu pro 2300 for this year and it's better, especially in the fit. I'd recommend either but give the edge to the kuiu due to adjustability.

PatrickW

FNG
Here’s my EXO K3 1800 with an OOAL Big B.O.B on it.

Attachments

• 926089B8-5569-4767-82B6-1F6378927504.jpeg
    926089B8-5569-4767-82B6-1F6378927504.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 67

md126

WKR
I used an Exo K3 4800 for whitetail and it would work fine for saddle hunting.

In general, anything with Molle attachments or that you can really customize would work best for saddle hunting, due to each person’s system/preferences.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Also an EXO user saddle hunter. I bought the 4800 last year and intended to purchase a smaller bag for day hunts. I haven't done that and just compress down the 4800 instead. I've actually found that sliding the platform between the frame and the bag is a great option for carrying in and out. The only items that would be slightly more difficult would be attaching the stick to the bottom. Typically I just strapped mine to the back and vs the sides to keep the profile slimmer. Granted I also one stick so there isn't much there to begin with.

Here’s my EXO K3 1800 with an OOAL Big B.O.B on it.
I stand corrected. That looks like it would do a fine job of carrying my saddle setup. I too use a Big Bob one stick.

I can’t really tell but, how are you compressing your saddle to be strapped down like that? I’d be afraid to loose my repel rope out of my dump pouch without putting my saddle in sone type of bag, Are you just rolling it up?

Anyways, that looks pretty slick.

PatrickW

FNG
I stand corrected. That looks like it would do a fine job of carrying my saddle setup. I too use a Big Bob one stick.

I can’t really tell but, how are you compressing your saddle to be strapped down like that? I’d be afraid to loose my repel rope out of my dump pouch without putting my saddle in sone type of bag, Are you just rolling it up?

Anyways, that looks pretty slick.
That’s not my saddle. It’s my rope pouch laid next to the big Bob and held in place with my one stick rope. I wrap the rope around the pouch and then thru the cam cleat to hold it snug.

I actually carry my saddle in the long side pouch on the left side of the bag. I use a Tactisaddle and it fits in there about perfect.

PatrickW

FNG
The 1800 bag is a little small for the cold weather though. You can’t really see it in the pic, but my Asbell wool pullover is tucked under the lid and behind my one stick. In the bag I carry my muff, binoculars, and a couple of warmer shirts to layer up with. My kill kit and first aid pullouts are in the right side zippered pocket. Other odds and ends like my small tyvek ground sheet to put boned out meat on and my spare string… etc. I slide down in the zippered water bladder pouch.

PatrickW

FNG
If it gets much colder I’ll switch to my K2 3500 bag. That’s why I said earlier in the thread that the K3 3200 would be a great setup…

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the EXO pack. Depending on how much other gear you want to carry, the 1800 or 3200 will work fine. I've used EXO, Badlands, Sitka, and others....the EXO works the best. When it comes to pockets for storage, once you start organizing and using stash bags, you might like how it simplifies and provides more flexibility than several pockets already sewn into a pack. Good luck with your search.

As the title states I need help finding a saddle hunting pack. I have been through a few packs and there always seems to be something I don't like about the packs I get. I currently have a Trophyline Sumpter pack and like it but the two main things I dislike about the packs is what makes me want to sell it. They are;
1.) The meat sling is on the outside vs between the bag and frame
2.) There isn't much padding in the shoulder straps and the lumbar support, or lack there of, doesn't help

My size; I'm 6'1" roughly 240lbs with an "average" torso size for my height. What I am looking for in a pack is the following:
- Have a meat-sling between the bag and frame
- Needs to be able to hold around 2200-2500 ( can be up to 3,000) Cubic Inches. Mainly do to carrying insulated layers in on cold days. These are the Sitka Fanatic bibs, Sitka Fanatic Jacket, Zip off base layer and a mid weight top.
- Need to be able to securly strap my platform on the back
- Need to be able to strap my sticks on the bottom of the bag. I like it this way vs on the side of the pack because I use Nalgene bottles for my water source and getting to them is a pain when the sticks are strapped on the side of the pack
- I would like to have multiple pockets for organization (calls, rangefinder, binos, TP, etc)

The Kifaru Hellbender with the Sherman Pocket is what I have been looking at but I really don't know how big the size is. I think it is a 2200 cubic inch pack but looking at it on videos. It looks smaller. I hunt ALOT of public and love to roam so I'm looking for a do all pack for this type of hunting.

Thoughts?
I have been using a 22 MAG on a 26 in frame and works well. I am 6' and about 200lbs. It has enough room for more gear for longer days, but packs down small enough for a quick in and out. I put my stick on the front of the pack but you could easily attach to the bottom.

PA-R

Lil-Rokslider
I use a EXO k3 3200, compresses down good, lots of room if you need to carry more.

My goal is to complete a build with the Kifaru duplex lite frame and the Stryker XL. I plan on packing my predator platform in on the Stryker with the saddle gear compressed to the frame. A few game bags and a kill kit and you’re in business with a very versatile setup. I can see cold weather gear making it a little more difficult but not impossible.