Need help: Hoyt timing

Recluse

FNG
It's a 2020 Axius Alpha. I had it in the draw board and the bottom cam is hitting before the top

Per Hoyt literature, I'm not supposed to touch the bottom cables. I'm supposed to add twists to the yolk cables (on top) OR remove twists from the control cable

So my question is: If I add twists to the yolks, do BOTH sides yet twisted clockwise.?

thank you

Yes, twist both legs of the yoke equal amounts in the same direction to change cam timing without affecting cam lean.

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
Thank you! Since the bottom cam is hitting first, I'm planning to add a 1/2 twist on each side (on the top yokes)

Never done this before. Does it simply come right off, once the bow is pressed ?

Yes, just a little compression from the press and you'll be able to slide the yoke loops off the oblong pulleys that keep the yokes on the axle.

Last edited:
OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
I reverted the changes and it stopped making the noise. I then removed a twist out of the control cable to get the timing perfect.

I reverted the changes and it stopped making the noise. I then removed a twist out of the control cable to get the timing perfect.
that’s weird but good thing you got it fixed!

it’s cool having your own press but there’s definitely a learning curve to some of the stuff

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
Yea, I was getting worried for a second. Hoyt's official stance is to adjust the yoke cables to fix cam timing and to not do the control cable (as it can affect peak draw weight). Though they say you CAN twist/untwist the control cable.

The only thing I can think of is the local pro shop ding dongs must have messed with the yokes prior

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
That's what I've heard. Just trying to baseline things and get my paper tune looking good. I fixed the vertical stuff, but now getting tail right tear.

Do I add a twist to the right yoke ?

If I do this, do I need to remove a twist from the opposite side (to keep timing in synch?

Reactions: Zac
Tail right = twist right yoke & untwist left yoke

Twist one side and untwist the other in equal amounts to keep the overall length of the cable constant and leave cam timing unchanged.

Here's a handy chart from Gold Tip that I refer to frequently when tuning:
Screenshot_20210219-073736.png
Screenshot_20210219-073524.png

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
How often do you guys move the rest vs twist on cables? I'm trying to leave my rest centered ...

How often do you guys move the rest vs twist on cables? I'm trying to leave my rest centered ...
I start at 13/16" centershot and twist yokes first but have no qualms about moving the rest if tuning results indicate a need to do so. I frequently end up moving my rest at least a little inside/outside of 13/16". Hoyt's recommended centershot range is pretty wide (1" to 5/8"), so you could go 3/16" in either direction from 13/16" and still be within the manufacturer's spec. If you have to move the rest further than that, you may be getting vane contact or you may need to adjust how you're gripping the bow.

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
Thanks fellas. I'm getting that same cam noise when I add any twist in my yokes (see video above). It is my stop slapping past my control cable. Not sure what's going on

Zac

WKR
Thanks fellas. I'm getting that same cam noise when I add any twist in my yokes (see video above). It is my stop slapping past my control cable. Not sure what's going on
Stop drawing your bow in that condition without an arrow. That thing is a ticking time bomb.

Seems like a silly exercise, but double check that all your draw length modules and draw stop pegs are in the same letter position. If they are indeed all in the same position, the little bit of additional cam lean you're inducing by twisting the yokes must be allowing the upper stop to slip past the cable, which seems strange but I guess it's possible. You definitely don't want that stop getting on the wrong side of the cable.

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
I'll check that out, thanks. Bow is shooting consistent bulletholes now.

And yes Mightymouse, that's exactly what was happening.

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
Yea so I figured out why (when I twisted a yolk cable), my draw stop was passing the control cable.

Nuts&bolts told me to check the position of the draw stop at full draw. And sure enough, the control cable is not even close to be centered on my draw stop. I suspect it was the shop that did this, but I want to fix it.

The pic is of my top cam (right side). Do I remove twists to get it centered ? Ashame because I'm shooting bulletholes right now

Attachments

• D8A87888-7CAD-42E3-9DEC-E0C86A3654F5.jpeg
    D8A87888-7CAD-42E3-9DEC-E0C86A3654F5.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 27