Need help deciding what to build

OP
B
I really think energy has less influence on killing power than a lot of people think. Meaning I bet that little baby 6.5 CM with a 140 berger kills better at 800 yards than most magnums with an inferior bullet, regardless of how much energy they are carrying.

I mean for sure its all about shot placement. You can kill an elk with a 22 if you hit it the head no? My gunsmith swears by his 22-250 for elk. But he also only shoots them 400 yards and in AND ONLY in the head.

Nonetheless, perfect shot placement with a 6.5cm with beat any caliber with a bad shot placement

OP
B
Yeah, I followed that energy mantra up until recently, largely due to this forum. The fact that almost all bows are under 100 ft/lbs of energy shows how ridiculous that measure is. My longest shots were both at 400 (.308), and both elk, and I'm putting in the practice to get to 500 (new 6.5CM), my "long range" goal, so I'm with you on shooting 900, but I'm sure there are the rare few that can do it ethically. Me, I'd rather hunt closer anyway...
Without getting off subject too far, I think you should look at the damage to MOOSE with the .223 tmk in the .223 thread. Apparently they offer similar lethality to high end lead bullets out of magnums. I don't want the meat loss and lead atomization into the meat, so I'm sticking with 6.5CM and copper bullets, and 500 yards. But, its tough to argue with the proof in that thread that tells me that magnums are silly. That, and I've punched a 1" hole through an elk with an arrow, and killed 3 elk with a 30-30 (1 DRT, 1 70 yards, and 1 crawled 50-100 yards in a few seconds).
Just trying to help people shoot better (recoil) and waste less precious animals. The west is getting swarmed with people, and there aren't as many deer and elk to go around.
Dumpster fire started😆

suppressed, either of your existing rifles would be pretty mild with an 18-20" barrel as well

Yeah, I don't disagree. With bows, however, you arnt going to kill them with impact or energy. More cutting main arteries or having them bleed out. They are also far larger in size than a 6.5 would be...

Haha yeah again I think it all goes back to shot placement and what bullets your using that affects meat damage and "killability". I have had insane luck/success with my berger bullets and all of them are coming from magnums (300WM shooting 185 berger classic hunters and two 7RM shooting 180 berger VLDs). All of them have dropped within 5 feet of where they were standing and none required follow-up shots. Most importantly, no meat damage except for one I shot in the shoulder haha. Insides were destroyed, but I don't eat the stomach or vitals typically.

As far as recoil, I can shoot both my 300WM and 7RM at the range all day and never feel it. They have great muzzlebrakes. My 30-06 I cant shoot more than 15 times without feeling it the next day since it doesnt have a brake. Also, I aint worried about recoil while hunting because you don't feel or hear the shot for some reason haha :D

Could build a 7 prc in a long action with a 20” barrel if you want factory support. If you reload a 7 saum in a short action with an 18-20 barrel would be my recommendation. Lots of good 7mm bullets

LoggerDan

WKR
Build a Harley Davidson chopper or hot rod. Building and “running “ are for things that have motors. Otherwise, your just assembling off the rack and off the shell parts. Haha, sorry! Had to.

OP
B
Could build a 7 prc in a long action with a 20” barrel if you want factory support. If you reload a 7 saum in a short action with an 18-20 barrel would be my recommendation. Lots of good 7mm bullets

Yeah I think I’ll end up doing a 7saum to be honest. But at this point I’d be saving about a pound and 6 inches off the barrel

Trackselk

WKR
Yeah, I don't disagree. With bows, however, you arnt going to kill them with impact or energy. More cutting main arteries or having them bleed out. They are also far larger in size than a 6.5 would be...

Haha yeah again I think it all goes back to shot placement and what bullets your using that affects meat damage and "killability". I have had insane luck/success with my berger bullets and all of them are coming from magnums (300WM shooting 185 berger classic hunters and two 7RM shooting 180 berger VLDs). All of them have dropped within 5 feet of where they were standing and none required follow-up shots. Most importantly, no meat damage except for one I shot in the shoulder haha. Insides were destroyed, but I don't eat the stomach or vitals typically.

As far as recoil, I can shoot both my 300WM and 7RM at the range all day and never feel it. They have great muzzlebrakes. My 30-06 I cant shoot more than 15 times without feeling it the next day since it doesnt have a brake. Also, I aint worried about recoil while hunting because you don't feel or hear the shot for some reason haha :D
Well, since you like explosive lead bullets, you could shoot something much milder. Apparently the large amount of cheap practice is worth a lot.
I can, however; see the advantages of the flatter trajectory of the magnums. If I didn't shoot 5 pound rifles I might run something even flatter than the 6.5CM, but kind of pointless when I won't shoot beyond 500.

Long Cut

WKR
I fifth notion for a take down single shot rifle

Think TC Encore or CVA Scout V2

Both platforms can be broken down quickly and that CVA has a Bergera barrel which can be had for sub $400...

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I would vote the 6.5 prc I only see the brass availability getting better based on popularity compared to 300wsm. But I may be biased I am putting together basically the same thing just waiting on my HNT26 chassis to show up.