Need help choosing a spotting scope

I am currently in the market for a new spotting scope. The budget is around $1,000-$1,500 as I am a college student and can't afford $3,000 Swarovski's. Looking for an angled lightweight spotting scope for hunting mule deer and various other things. I've been looking at smaller variable zooms, in the 13-40ish range. I've got my eye on the Vortex Razor HD 13-39x56. I've had several different vortex optics and never had an issue. Been reading about other brands that I may want to branch out but don't know a whole lot about. These are the:
Maven CS.1A 15-45x65
Athlon Ares G2 UHD 15-45x65
Leupold SX-4 Pro Guide HD 15-45x65

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
I had the maven CS.1A for a few years. Recently compared it with the Vortex Razor 13-39x and the Vortex was considerably better. They’re on sale for $800 on gohunt right now

Athlon 65 has punched well above its class on multiple tests/reviews. I have one and really like it. Call camera land ny and tell them your from rokslide they will hook you up.

Mojave

WKR
Athlon rocks. Always discounts on them.

More eye relief than the Vortex.

Buy used. I have two spotters from Ebay. Watch the classifieds here as well. Leupold 12-40 GR HD and a Pentax PF65 EDA are the two I have. They are both very good optically. Way easier to sell and upgrade down the road if you start with used, it will cost you less as you can recoup most of what you paid. You also might be surprised that a scope you thought was temporary is more than good enough to keep.

asilmas

FNG
I am currently in the market for a new spotting scope. The budget is around $1,000-$1,500 as I am a college student and can't afford $3,000 Swarovski's. Looking for an angled lightweight spotting scope for hunting mule deer and various other things. I've been looking at smaller variable zooms, in the 13-40ish range. I've got my eye on the Vortex Razor HD 13-39x56. I've had several different vortex optics and never had an issue. Been reading about other brands that I may want to branch out but don't know a whole lot about. These are the:
Maven CS.1A 15-45x65
The older vortex razor 20-60 is on sale for around $800 right on basspro. It's a great option for low light.

OP
Trapshooter2201
I had the maven CS.1A for a few years. Recently compared it with the Vortex Razor 13-39x and the Vortex was considerably better. They’re on sale for $800 on gohunt right now
What was the main differences that made the Vortex seem better than the CS1.A??

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
What was the main differences that made the Vortex seem better than the CS1.A??

Most obvious was the lack of a dark tint in the Vortex, but the sharpness and contrast of the image was much better as well. Low light (sunset and after) amplified the differences.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If I may add another choice, take a look at the Hawke Endurance ED 20-60x68 Spotting Scope. Smae size and optical quality of the units you mentioned but a 20-60x vs the lower powered 15-45, 2 touch focus and less $$$$.
All lenses are Fully Multi-Coated and prisms Dielectric Coated for increased reflectivity. Endurance scopes feature a dual focus knob (coarse and fine), 3x ratio eyepieces with twist-up eye cups and retractable sunshades.

• Extra-Low Dispersion Glass For Optimum Clarity
  • Dielectric Coatings Designed To Increase Light Reflectivity
  • Fully Multi-Coated Optics To Produce Sharp Images
  • Close Focus - See Detail From 16.4ft/5m
  • BAK-4 Porro Prisms For Intense Colour And Contrast
  • Dual Focus Knob To Achieve Ultra Fine Focusing
  • Body Rotation For Viewing In Virtually Any Position
  • Stay-On Soft Scope Cover For Maximum Protection
  • Twist-Up Eye Cup And Pull Out Sunshade
  • Digi-Scope Compatible For Use With Your Camera

TaperPin

WKR
Maven CS.1A 15-45x65
When you compare the SX-4 with older used gold ring scopes (or other brands) that haven’t been scratched up with poor cleaning I think you’ll see a lot of value in used glass.

If your tripod isn’t a good one, you’ll see better with a $400 tripod and $500 used scope than a $900 new scope and $100 tripod. I like to show the kids this by looking at wolves and bears in Yellowstone and setting up next to guys with new swaros and cheap rental tripods - in a little wind even a used $200 scope will see details as well as the better glass if their tripod sucks and wiggles in the wind.

I remember the days of buying hunting equipment with student loans at the beginning of the semester - you can’t go wrong with the best quality you can swing, whatever you get.

elkguide

WKR
Your eyes will tell the story. I use Swaro binos and rifle scopes. I tried all the spotters that you listed and many others. Knowing that I use a spotter more looking at deer and bear out my back window than I do hunting, I couldn't justify a Swaro spotter. After trying so many brands, I went with Maven and have been very satisfied, both here at home and in the field hunting.

Mojave

WKR
I don't think Swarovski has enough eye relief for near sighted eye glass users.

Kowa is so much better for those that can't see.

RDUB

FNG
Classified Approved
I love my maven CS.1A, I am selling it though because I am switching to glassing with bigger binos 18x size.
I am selling it for $600 with the spotting scope case, glass and body are in great condition. PM if you're interested.