Need advice on a 7mm rifle and scope

Some of these scopes are going to push me over my budget. Is there a benefit to going with a 50 mm objective vs 40 or 44 mm? 50 mm will gather more light, correct? Just thinking the bigger would be better. Always interesting to see opinions. The zeiss V4 is $700 at cabelas in a 3-12 zoom. How much zoom should I be looking at to shoot 400+ yards? The gun will be around $850 so that is pretty close. I need to keep the scope at no more than $600-$700...
I just purchased my first 50mm scope after years of concern over having too much bulk and mounting height.
Meopta MeoStar 3-15x50 from Cameralandny.
I had a 42mm bell on my Tikka using Warne low mounts(no rail) and was sure I would need to step up to mediums.
Surprise-The new scope mounted up perfectly with the Warne lows and even room for a Butler Creek flip up cap to protect the objective.
I have not carried it in the woods yet but really like the setup so far.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
If I were to do it again (and I will ha) I'd go with something less potent than a 7 mag. That said, I have two tikka T3s in 7 mag and I love em. One stainless, one blued. Got the blued/wood one threaded to the tune of $200. Money well spent, but still money spent. But 7 mag is overkill for 90% of the hunting I do. I don't mind the recoil but I'll hit the range with the 7 mags, a 300 win mag, and a 308 for sighting in and general fun and after 15 combined shots with the magnums, that 308 feels joyous. If tikka would get off their rear ends and make me a left handed Veil or Roughtech, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Probably in .308. Kills all the things I need to kill handily to 300 yards no problem. Comes already threaded from the factory so I know it's done right. Fluted barrels and bolts. Nice and light, what's not to love? But if it's a magnum caliber, you're going to pay for that lightness.

Case in point, one of my hunting buddies for the past decade or so has consistently missed his first shot. He says it's his warm-up shot. That's from a 30-06 on various animals and mostly not-far distances. This past year he hunted with a borrowed .243. Took his deer with one shot. Dropped a bear out of the tree with one shot, finished it off with another. His summary of the season, "man I love this .243!" Which is a shame since I had just put a new scope on his 30-06 and loaded him up some practice ammo ha. But it turns out, one well placed shot is worth more than three poorly executed shots...

As for the scope, can't go wrong with a Leupold. I put a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 on my father's T3x 6.5x55 swede and it's crystal clear and nice and light. Next tikka I get will be getting a Leupold on top.

fishslap

WKR
Some of these scopes are going to push me over my budget. Is there a benefit to going with a 50 mm objective vs 40 or 44 mm? 50 mm will gather more light, correct? Just thinking the bigger would be better. Always interesting to see opinions. The zeiss V4 is $700 at cabelas in a 3-12 zoom. How much zoom should I be looking at to shoot 400+ yards? The gun will be around $850 so that is pretty close. I need to keep the scope at no more than $600-$700...
In a world where a guy (not you) didn’t mind bending the rules a bit…, he could find a buddy who was in the military and have him order directly from leupold using their discount. I can’t remember exactly how much it is but it’s a big discount.

MHWASH

WKR
Nothing wrong with the setup you have in mind, as long as the leupold won't be used for dialing. That pretty much goes for any scope in the sub $500 price range. If you're going to sight it in and leave the scope alone either the VX3 or just about any scope will last you a long time.

BjornF16

WKR
Nothing wrong with the setup you have in mind, as long as the leupold won't be used for dialing. That pretty much goes for any scope in the sub $500 price range.
SWFA 6x is sub-$500...you can dial with that.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider

sndmn11

WKR
400 yards?…make it a 7mm-08 and put a SWFA 6x on it until you can source a SWFA 3-9HD.
Straight away the best advice here. A 7-08 Tikka would be far better than a 7mag.

If a budget of $1500, I'd walk out with a Tikka in 223 and one in 7-08, two pic rails, one set of rings, and order the SWFA.

Otherwise I'd grab a roughtech in 6.5creed, 7-08, or 6.5prc, a pic rail, a set of rings, and as much ammo as I can...then order the SWFA.

Probably and extra magazine too.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If recoil shy a limbsaver pad is a good idea…personally did not like it and prefer the stock gun…no need for a muzzle break on the gun..your scope choice on the leupold is solid and from what I hear there is good reason vortex has such a good warranty it is used a lot…..personally if you want an all mountain rifle keep it lite and don’t add a sniper scope to it..you are choosing a lite gun and put a 40mm objective on it…to help keep it lite...many options and choices but the stock gun with a solid scope choice will serve you a lifetime….🤙 20 yrs field experience with mine and looking forward to another 1-2 decades with it…their not magic they just do the job very well if we do our part. Heavily abused and dropped more than I remember and still shooting great. If looking for a round the 154 gr ssts Hornady s shoot nicely in it.

Attachments

• 7BF35BE7-D338-4690-BDF3-B111696DFAB6.jpeg
    7BF35BE7-D338-4690-BDF3-B111696DFAB6.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 35
I have a Tikka T3 SL in 7RM topped with a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 x 40 in a DNZ mount shooting Barnes Vor-tx 160 grain TSX. Very accurate rifle and the bolt slides like silk. Carries well also.

Sturgeon

WKR
What do you see on the shelves for ammo by you? I can’t say I see any 7mm-08 by me, but do see some 7RM and a lot of .308 win. The .308 win will be ballisically very similar to 7mm-08. I have Tikka T3X in .25-06 and will say I enjoy having a limbsaver on that relatively light recoiling cartridge. If you plan to do a muzzle break don’t ever plan to shoot without hearing protection. If you don’t plan to dial with Leupold scopes I think they are a great lightweight option. The VX3 in 3.5-10 is great, I also have Zeiss V4 that is nice and there 3-12x44 would also be a good option.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Tikkas are good guns, you can purchase with confidence. I tried to resist them for a long time but at this point I can’t really play that card anymore. I have 3 of them and a tikka hat.

-t3x superlite stainles, 6.5 creedmoor, SWFA 6x w/sportsmatch rings (rokslide special), mountain tactical bottom metal, vertical grip

-t3x lite stainless 30-06, barrel shortened to 18” and threaded, high desert bottom metal, limbsaver, nightforce shv 3-10 w/sportsmatch.

-t1x with a bunch of dumb shit done to it and a silencer.

If anything I’d try to steer people towards a rokslide special or something similar. Dig around to find the sportsmatch rings, get the SWFA 6x or 3-9 and stick it on a tikka that is chambered in an easy to shoot cartridge.

OP
180splitg3
Man - a lot of opinions! That is what I wanted but makes the decision tough. No one is telling me to go away from the Tikka - so that is good. I was really thinking the 7 mm rem mag would be a good caliber but I am seeing lots of opinions to go otherwise. Pretty much all my shooting to date has been with 12 gauge slug guns and 12 gauge turkey loads - I can't imagine a 7 rem mag is worse than those loads but maybe I am wrong? I shot a buddy's 7 rem mag a while ago but can't remember how bad it was.

I have read several threads about people elk hunting and it seems like people use many calibers - some feel that the 6.5 creed is borderline - while others say that a .270 (or smaller) is more than enough - again I don't know enough about rifles to make that call but haven't seen anyone question whether or not a 7 mm rem mag is sufficient to kill an elk. The scope is another issue - I am not sure if I need something dialable...

For a do anything rifle I’d go tikka 6.5 creedmoor with Sportsmatch rings or even a rail. If you want a 7mm go 7-08 not 7 mag. You’ll shoot more and shoot better with a non magnum. Swfa 6x or Nightforce shv 3-10 is where I’d start scope wise. I have a Swfa 3-9 and those work great too. If you go Leupold plan on using the warranty. Leupold will not track except for the higher end scopes and even those seem to malfunction right before a hunt.

20220908_070918~2.jpgHere's my T3x in 7mmRM. As for a scope, I have tested a VX-Freedom 4-12 with the LR reticle (seen above), a Burris FF2 3-9, a Nikon and something else. They all are good. I feel the Burris and Nikon hold zero the best. I wind up carrying my rifle a lot and it gets knocked around quite a bit. Again, I think others are right in suggesting the VX3HD in 2.5-8, or the Burris Signature HD in 2-10. If I needed a scope, those would be my choices.

---FWIW---

I agree with others that less magnification is better at the range you mention. I also find a big drop off in my accuracy moving from 400 to 500 yards. Do go practice at those distance in the wind. (Once you get over 500 yards, you will need to learn all about spin drift as well.)

If your T3x is like mine, it is just plain accurate no matter what you put in it. I reload, but even the factory loads I put in shoot sub MOA. ALL OF THEM. It's just boringly accurate.

I also think reticle choice matters greatly. Again, I like simpler. Read up on hold-over and MPBR.

Finally, I have added a cheek riser (horse-wrap over styrofoam) and some tacky grip tape on the top of the forend. I put a Limbsaver on it, DNZ low 1-piece mount, and a new trigger spring. I paid for it to be threaded. It barely kicks now and weighs just under 8lbs without a bi-pod.

I love this gun - it really is a do-all rifle.

B

Last edited:
I would try and track down a used Steyr Pro Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag. Steyr makes a hell of a rifle that doesn't get much attention over here in the States. I have one and love it. I shoot 162gr ELD-M bullets in ADG brass that @Unknown Munitions loaded for me. Here is a picture of the latest critter to fall to it. 505 yards. One shot and dead in seconds.

Screenshot_20221207_104958_Gallery.jpg

Terrapin

WKR
I’m happy with my Kimber Mountain Ascent in 7mm RM with a Leupold 4.5-14 (40mm) scope. It’s very light and accurate enough for its intended purpose. For an all around gun out west, I don’t think I’d change much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
I would try and track down a used Steyr Pro Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag. Steyr makes a hell of a rifle that doesn't get much attention over here in the States. I have one and love it. I shoot 162gr ELD-M bullets in ADG brass that @Unknown Munitions loaded for me. Here is a picture of the latest critter to fall to it. 505 yards. One shot and dead in seconds.

View attachment 484946
I have a couple Pro Hunters in 308. Both are definitely smooth and great shooters.